• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm wanting to build a 6" 1911 and looking for some help from those who know what I need to look for an good company's to deal with/get parts, and what parts to get. I was really looking for a full lug frame, but I don't think there is one for a 6".

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What exactly are you meaning with a "full lug frame?"

There are a lot of good vendor and parts you can use. It really all depends on how much you are wanting to pay. Fuzion Firearms makes great kits, with slide to frame and barrel already fitted. Link is below for the 6". Or you can build your own 6" slide like shag does. I have built two of the 6" with Fuzion parts. Have built many out of Caspian, Wilson Combat and double star and have all been good parts for slide and frame. Double star is not as great on the finish and requires a good bit more work and fitting then the fuzion, Caspian and Wilson combat. I use mainly all Wilson Combat internals and have also had great success with the Kart precision barrels.
    http://www.fusionfirearms.com/shop/...itional-hunter-series-6-inch-long-slide-copy/

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    What exactly are you meaning with a "full lug frame?"

There are a lot of good vendor and parts you can use. It really all depends on how much you are wanting to pay. Fuzion Firearms makes great kits, with slide to frame and barrel already fitted. Link is below for the 6". Or you can build your own 6" slide like shag does. I have built two of the 6" with Fuzion parts. Have built many out of Caspian, Wilson Combat and double star and have all been good parts for slide and frame. Double star is not as great on the finish and requires a good bit more work and fitting then the fuzion, Caspian and Wilson combat. I use mainly all Wilson Combat internals and have also had great success with the Kart precision barrels.
    http://www.fusionfirearms.com/shop/...itional-hunter-series-6-inch-long-slide-copy/

I'm sorry, I mean full dust cover, had revolvers on the brain I guess. I need to know how the slide to frame fitment because I don't know how that's supposed to be or how to get it there.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I guess I should say I'm looking to build a good shooter. I'm not looking for match grade stuff, but I'd like good quality parts. I don't want to spend any more than I have to you know.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm just trying to get knowledgeable right now, watching youtube videos and lining up parts. I would love to just buy a kit that had everything and then upgrade as needed.

Although nice, that fusion kit is a little more than what I was thinking about, but then again I'm still researching and learning.

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm sorry, I mean full dust cover, had revolvers on the brain I guess. I need to know how the slide to frame fitment because I don't know how that's supposed to be or how to get it there.

If you have the tools, patience and good mechanical skills you can fit the slide to frame relatively easy...just really time consuming.

The barrel , barrel link,lugs and bushing are the most critical to get a good lock up. Once again needs more tools to get it right. If you are not wanting to get too in depth in building one then I would recommend getting one of the long slide kits from Fusion. They have already taken all of the work out of fitting the slide to frame, barrel, bushing fitted to the slide and then all of the rest is just minor filing and fitting for the most part. You can also order the frame radius already cut to accept a high ride beaver tail grip safety to save you from having to get a jig for it. Just make sure to stay away from MIM parts. Brownells and Midway have a great selection of 1911 parts and tools.

If you are looking for a good cheap shooter, the best bet is to purchase one. You cannot build a quality custom 1911 for cheaper then buying one unless you have an FFL in most circumstances. and can save on parts. Each one of my builds average from $1,500-$2,100 in parts alone. Not counting the time and work put into custom fitting all of the parts.

It is expensive to get into, but once you have acquired the necessary tools and get one under your belt you will be hooked. There is much to be said about building one yourself exactly the way you want and knowing it is a quality gun.

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The pistols that I have seen coming out of the Philippines under various maker names and roll marks have been surprisingly high quality for the prices. Labor is cheaper - so they are taking the time to get good slide/frame fits as well as decent triggers. All of those pistols are coming out of the same factory - even though they may be marked ATI, Iver Johnson, etc.

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The pistols that I have seen coming out of the Philippines under various maker names and roll marks have been surprisingly high quality for the prices. Labor is cheaper - so they are taking the time to get good slide/frame fits as well as decent triggers. All of those pistols are coming out of the same factory - even though they may be marked ATI, Iver Johnson, etc.

I agree. Although a lot of people think you have to go with WC, Kimber, Colt etc to get a good gun, you can get one of the
    Phillipine made 1911's, change out a few parts and have a great straight shooter.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If you have the tools, patience and good mechanical skills you can fit the slide to frame relatively easy...just really time consuming.

The barrel , barrel link,lugs and bushing are the most critical to get a good lock up. Once again needs more tools to get it right. If you are not wanting to get too in depth in building one then I would recommend getting one of the long slide kits from Fusion. They have already taken all of the work out of fitting the slide to frame, barrel, bushing fitted to the slide and then all of the rest is just minor filing and fitting for the most part. You can also order the frame radius already cut to accept a high ride beaver tail grip safety to save you from having to get a jig for it. Just make sure to stay away from MIM parts. Brownells and Midway have a great selection of 1911 parts and tools.

If you are looking for a good cheap shooter, the best bet is to purchase one. You cannot build a quality custom 1911 for cheaper then buying one unless you have an FFL in most circumstances. and can save on parts. Each one of my builds average from $1,500-$2,100 in parts alone. Not counting the time and work put into custom fitting all of the parts.

It is expensive to get into, but once you have acquired the necessary tools and get one under your belt you will be hooked. There is much to be said about building one yourself exactly the way you want and knowing it is a quality gun.

This is what I was looking for. I was thinking it was much easier, and maybe it could be to just slap something together but I'm not looking for that. This seems like something I'm just going to have to put off for a while. Thanks for the info.

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is what I was looking for. I was thinking it was much easier, and maybe it could be to just slap something together but I'm not looking for that. This seems like something I'm just going to have to put off for a while. Thanks for the info.

If you get around to getting all the parts let me know, I would be glad to help you out with it. I love building 1911's! Got two in process as we speak, one for a fundraiser I'm working on and another for myself.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Well I might take you up on that then. If you would help me with my first then I could see what all it takes. I appreciate the help and I'll let you know, maybe after the new year.

shag 1911

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    fusion slide and barrel if only going 6" .im with junky on the frame i have built 5 ria frames and they shoot fine ,but the caspian frame im doing on the junk yard dog build is nice.

Robbie2883

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you get around to getting all the parts let me know, I would be glad to help you out with it. I love building 1911's! Got two in process as we speak, one for a fundraiser I'm working on and another for myself.

^^^this guy knows what he's talking about. he's been a great help to me in selecting parts and learning about 1911's. soon as i finish my last ar i'll be taking the 1911 frame i have to him to build and learn.

Bubba45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    who can put sights on a commander?.....and to have work done do u have to "paper" the gun in and fill out forms to get it back?

danf_fl

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sometimes it is cheaper to buy one already completed and start from there.

I have a 6" Para Super Hawg single stack. I could almost be persuaded to sell it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Another option is to build a 5in weapon and use a 6inch barrel.EFK makes a very good ported 6 inch thats dead on at 25 yards.Call some time and i can find you a afordable option that you may have over looked.
    Ken 850-207-0925 west side pensacola

Top Bottom