• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    yeah John, there there is the cleaning fee, the fee per pound, ice fee, skinning fee, and a trophy fee, average is about $250 for a hog from what I have heard from people that go there or have gone there...

Yea, I do not need to pay $250 for one. I have killed many hogs and all during the day and do not need someone to skin, dress or butcher it for me...I can do that, just Ned a good spot to go out and shoot me one. Would be fun to do some night hunting and get more action though.

FVNVTVK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good info fellas.

When i talked to him briefly he DID say "dusk" in regards to timing, so I don't believe he was trying to sell me a daytime hunt. Unfortunately, I made the call when I didn't have a whole lot of time to ask all the questions i should have, so the lack of info is squarely on my shoulders.

Ill give him a buzz tomorrow and give him my email addy for the PDF file.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well just remember it costs a lot of time and money to get hogs in the first place, to stay there so it is consistent hunting. It also take a trip or 2 before you take someone hunting to bait the area then the time it takes for the hunt. You don't just drive to a random location, get out of a truck, load your gun and shoot a hog, then it processes itself...well unless you are on a canned hunt that is.

Just Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    found this from last year. The guy is a squirrel but he manages some hunting land around Crestview. I talked to him 3 years ago, went out and looked at 1 area and the rules did not fit my hunting style but some of you may be OK with them. He also might know of other contacts so ask, good luck. He is really hard to contact at times.

"Rob Dietz" ocddeerhunter@valp.net

"Squirrel" is being very polite. I have more colorful metaphors for him.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have tried to eat mullet 3 times, smoked twice and fried once. All three times it tasted like mud. There is a member here that swears I will like the mullet he cooks. I will try it one more time.

It's quite popular in SW Florida too.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I think if it is caught over the white sand bottom it might be OK fried, but bay mullet are muddy no matter...just a mushy meat to me and not a preferred eating fish.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The key to eating mullet....at least from my limited experience....is to eat it the day it's caught...prepared fried.
    I don't like it after its been frozen. I feel the same way about amberjack though....some fish just don't freeze well.

Just Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The key to eating mullet....at least from my limited experience....is to eat it the day it's caught...prepared fried.
    I don't like it after its been frozen. I feel the same way about amberjack though....some fish just don't freeze well.

King mackerel is another that turns to mush after freezing.... Has to go on the grill the day it was caught or it's only good for shark chum.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    King mackerel is another that turns to mush after freezing.... Has to go on the grill the day it was caught or it's only good for shark chum.
    Amen.

I don't target kings unless I have grand kids or visitors aboard. Then I don't keep them unless someone specifically requests them. I don't even thing they are that good on the grill. I do love me some fried fresh caught Spanish but they aren't so good frozen. I have had good luck with Amberjack and vacuum sealing. A cheap FoodSaver does make a difference, especially with fish.

Frank, the one that sticks out in my mind was named Mercedes...

Top Bottom