Target Sports

What's the best bone stock pistol for competition shooting and caliber?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have never shot in a pistol competition before was thinking about giving it a try one day I don't have a ton of money to invest I was wanting to know what's the best (stock) pistol and caliber to start with? If I like it then I will start thinking about upgrading at that point but I have to take baby steps first don't want to start with a tricked out gun then decide I don't like it.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Cowboy action shooting, IDPA, Steel, Three Gun? Lot of different ways to go. What competitions do they shoot at your range or within striking distance?

Is there a minimum power requirement, size limit or other restriction? Read the rules for each: USPSA, IDPA, IPCS, GSSF.

For IDPA and Three gun I ran a SIG229 (.40)for a year. Switched to a G23 that I had and did better. I then bought a G35 and ran that for years. Many prefer the G34 (9mm) due to less recoil/recovery time. Make sure that the model and Gen/Year of what you want to buy is on the approved gun list.

WR

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Frankly speaking, you cant buy skill. If you already have a reputable good full sized handgun use it til you definitely need something better.

GlockGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd go with a Glock 34 or 17. You can buy the gun and then do upgrades as your funds permit, there is a whole little magazine you can get full of competetion upgrades for the glock at Glockstore.com I believe is the site. You can get the gun then just add whatever you want and they have a large selection of upgrades sights, recoil rods, springs, mag wells, ect.

GlockGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    or the xdm 5.25 is a great option for Idpa if your into xdm's comes with everything you need right out of the box.

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What about a G19 or do I need to go ahead and get the G17 only reason I need to get another carry gun and a 19 would be easier to conceal

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What about a G19 or do I need to go ahead and get the G17 only reason I need to get another carry gun and a 19 would be easier to conceal

The 19 is the perfect size, it can be concealed or used as a duty weapon. NYPD issues the 19 for this reason.

F1618C20-9CE0-4A20-9731-8E2A6073EFCD-5703-00001147B27891DE.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom