What some people did in the past to survive: lessons for us?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    What people done in the past to survive. Well let us look at the cliff dwellers:
    Sometime during the late 1190s, after primarily living on the mesa tops for 600 years, many Ancestral Pueblo people began moving into pueblos they built into natural cliff alcoves. The structures ranged in size from one-room granaries to villages of more than 150 rooms.
    From about 1200 AD some very bad things were happening in the southwest of what is now the Southwest USA, people felt compelled to build their homes and food storage structures in difficult to access areas that could easily be defended. Seems there were raiders and even cannibalism.
    They had to grow their crops on the bottom of canyons where soils and moisture was sufficient to grow crops and water and everything had to be hauled up to via difficult climbs to what where small fortresses that had been constructed within the cliffs. Sources of water were essential. This was a world without rule of law for the people of the southwest. Hopefully never happens today, but it is interesting to observe the extremes to which these peoples were forced to endure and to try and survive.

Below is one of a series of video exploring these these cliff dwellings. Imagine even grandma and the small children had to be hauled to those dwellings.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    I watched that last night. He has a really good channel. I beleive humans used these storage bins for much longer than suggested. Imagine if a hurricane hit tonight and everything was flattened. Would you start by pouring a slab or would you build off an existing slab?
    The Pueblos thought the same way as us. If you had an existing structure to work off of it would make the work much easier. They didn’t build those but they did remodel them

FrommerStop

Master
    I watched that last night. He has a really good channel. I beleive humans used these storage bins for much longer than suggested. Imagine if a hurricane hit tonight and everything was flattened. Would you start by pouring a slab or would you build off an existing slab?
    The Pueblos thought the same way as us. If you had an existing structure to work off of it would make the work much easier. They didn’t build those but they did remodel them
    I would not be surprised if Apache or other groups when hiding from mexican or american soldiers or militia holed up in some of those places.

Raven

Master
    "Rock art is notoriously hard to date..."
    "Must be from the 1500s because that's when the Spanish brought horses to America"

I don't see anything from the knee down on that horse drawing. Believe what you want about evolution being millions of years old, or God invented everything only 6,000 years ago... We have the bones of three-toed horses in America that existed thousands of years ago. Long time before the Spanish brought any horses here.

I point this out about the horse building up to my theory (and it's all mine, noone else's) that a lot of these "impossible" cliff dwellings were built when it was quite possible and we're just not seeing the whole picture thousands of years later because of erosion or pieces of cliffs falling off. There's a lot of stone structures that are known bonafide thousands of years old that look like they were built only a hundred years ago... like the stone Egyptian, Roman and Greek buildings

1000010190.png
    1000010191.png

There is a time, very soon I'd imagine, where the knowledge of our ancestors will be worth as much as gold. Primitive survival, albeit in a modified form, will become the norm. When the food and supply train runs out, expect the hordes of "peaceful protestors" to come looking for us in the panhandle.

We need some kind of way to meet up besides gun shows that I can never attend due to work.

Raven

Master
    There is a time, very soon I'd imagine, where the knowledge of our ancestors will be worth as much as gold. Primitive survival, albeit in a modified form, will become the norm. When the food and supply train runs out, expect the hordes of "peaceful protestors" to come looking for us in the panhandle.

We need some kind of way to meet up besides gun shows that I can never attend due to work.
    Before cell phones and the internet it was church. Everybody saw each other twice on Sunday and once or twice during the week at Bible study and visitation. Nevermind workplaces and fraternal organizations. Now half of America doesn't work or go to church. Half of what does go to church doesn't go more than once in a blue moon. Can't even get family members to check on each other, nevermind visit. The only thing that will fix this is the collapse of modern communication technology, as proven during hurricanes when everybody banded together.

You want something besides the gun forum and gun shows, go to church and reconnect with family

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    "Rock art is notoriously hard to date..."
    "Must be from the 1500s because that's when the Spanish brought horses to America"

I don't see anything from the knee down on that horse drawing. Believe what you want about evolution being millions of years old, or God invented everything only 6,000 years ago... We have the bones of three-toed horses in America that existed thousands of years ago. Long time before the Spanish brought any horses here.

I point this out about the horse building up to my theory (and it's all mine, noone else's) that a lot of these "impossible" cliff dwellings were built when it was quite possible and we're just not seeing the whole picture thousands of years later because of erosion or pieces of cliffs falling off. There's a lot of stone structures that are known bonafide thousands of years old that look like they were built only a hundred years ago... like the stone Egyptian, Roman and Greek buildings

View attachment 289736View attachment 289737
    Horses did evolve in north america and single toed horses and paleoindians did apparently exist together until horses went extinct perhaps about 10,000 years ago. Maybe killed off by these same paleoindians. Europeans, specifically the Spanish are believed on the basis of historical documentation like cargo manifests and written historical accounts to have reintroduced the horse to the americas.

Below what scientists think they that they know. Google factoide
    Equus scotti was one of the last of the native North American horses and had a wide distribution over the continent. It probably preferred grasslands, open wetlands, and open woodlands. Fossils of this horse first appeared approximately 2 million years ago and went extinct by 10,000 years ago.Oct 12, 2021

Of course anyone can make up any theory they please since this is still america.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Before cell phones and the internet it was church. Everybody saw each other twice on Sunday and once or twice during the week at Bible study and visitation. Nevermind workplaces and fraternal organizations. Now half of America doesn't work or go to church. Half of what does go to church doesn't go more than once in a blue moon. Can't even get family members to check on each other, nevermind visit. The only thing that will fix this is the collapse of modern communication technology, as proven during hurricanes when everybody banded together.

You want something besides the gun forum and gun shows, go to church and reconnect with family
    What you are describing is how the protestant churches functioned. The first people to translate the bible into english and other common languages were harshly dealt with when caught by the authorities. There was a time in europe, north africa, and the middle east when most Christians could not read and direct knowledge of the holy scriptures was reserved for the clergy. The founding by the Christian Protestants not connected to the church of England in what became the USA established public schools so that children could learn to read the bible.
    This is an interesting history and many people gave their lives in Europe to make these reforms come to be.
    Punishment for reading the bible
    William Cooke
    B.A. in British Literature & History of the United Kingdom, University of Toronto (Graduated 1968)1y
    There was no consistent punishment for reading the Bible in 16th-century England. Until 1539 King Henry VIII forbade his subjects to read the existing Engllsh versions, which were unauthorized and deemed untrustworthy. Anyone caught doing that risked a heavy fine or imprisonment, and the translators risked conviction for heresy, which meant burning at the stake

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Here is video that details the history of how the bible came to be translated into english so every person that could read English could read the words of Christianity.

FNHman

Marksman
    Some dictator probably had the local retard cops or whatever they called them long ago kill off the horses 10,000 years ago so the people didn't have anything to rise up against him.

J pace

Marksman
    What people done in the past to survive. Well let us look at the cliff dwellers:
    Sometime during the late 1190s, after primarily living on the mesa tops for 600 years, many Ancestral Pueblo people began moving into pueblos they built into natural cliff alcoves. The structures ranged in size from one-room granaries to villages of more than 150 rooms.
    From about 1200 AD some very bad things were happening in the southwest of what is now the Southwest USA, people felt compelled to build their homes and food storage structures in difficult to access areas that could easily be defended. Seems there were raiders and even cannibalism.
    They had to grow their crops on the bottom of canyons where soils and moisture was sufficient to grow crops and water and everything had to be hauled up to via difficult climbs to what where small fortresses that had been constructed within the cliffs. Sources of water were essential. This was a world without rule of law for the people of the southwest. Hopefully never happens today, but it is interesting to observe the extremes to which these peoples were forced to endure and to try and survive.

Below is one of a series of video exploring these these cliff dwellings. Imagine even grandma and the small children had to be hauled to those dwellings.

If anyone is interested in this you should check this out. I watch It on YouTube TV.
    20240613_202523.jpg

FrommerStop

Master
    If anyone is interested in this you should check this out. I watch It on YouTube TV. View attachment 290541
    Different environments for the Navajo and our in the the gulf coast, but likely things to learn. The Navajo and the Apache are Dene speaking peoples are relatively recent immigrants to the american southwest. But they still have a lot to teach about survival.
    Their parent groups and origins are in the far north
    The Dene people (/ˈdɛneɪ/) are an indigenous group of First Nations who inhabit the northern boreal and Arctic regions of Canada. The Dene speak Northern Athabaskan languages. Dene is the common Athabaskan word for "people".[1]
    Are Navajos and Apaches related?

The Navajo are Athabascan speakers, closely related to the Apache and more distantly to other Athabascan-speaking peoples in Alaska and Canada. They are relative newcomers to the Southwest, having migrated into the region ca. AD 1400 or perhaps somewhat earlier.

Top Bottom