• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    I looked for a 452 for more than a year before settling on the 455 Varmint I have now. It shoots OK but I'm looking for something else.

I rolled up a ladder for a .223 I am playing with...50gr Speer TNT Moly coated bullets I got from SAWMAN... sitting on 8208XBR ...with some BR-4 fire starters

FLT

Master
    Got some guns out to take pictures so I could post them for sale , but changed my mind and just wiped them down and put them back My intentions were good , but my follow through was sorely lacking.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Got some guns out to take pictures so I could post them for sale , but changed my mind and just wiped them down and put them back My intentions were good , but my follow through was sorely lacking.
    Yep, I do the same thing. But I'm getting to the point if they don't have a real practical use they need to go. If not used, why have them?? Hunting, SD, plinking. Should have moved the pistol uppers out before the current nonsense started. Guess I can build 10.5 inch ammo can coffee tables... BS.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    My buddy and I were digging around under a work table and found a box of 3 brand new Crossman 2240s that he got from his dad's store when he cleaned it out that he had forgotten about. He gifted me one of them and it came home with me to go with the Benjamin 392 I recently picked up.

We shot my buddy's Stealth Hunter some more with some Keith type cast another buddy made and loaded. I let a couple get away or there was a strong velocity change in the 2 cylinders that I shot but there was one big hole where the rest went. I thought I took a picture but I guess not. Starting to like a big bore scoped pistol.

Then I shot this .223 I have been playing with. I still haven't checked the twist rate but I did drill the adapter out of my Dewey .20 cal rod and my .22 cal rod is still on the way for some odd reason. Maybe I will check it when I clean it from today.

24.5 8208XBR BR-4 primers with a moly coated 50gr Speer TNT 5 shot group

IMG_1459.jpg

25gr 8208XBR with moly coated 50gr Speer TNT 5 shot group

IMG_1460.jpg

25.5gr 8208XBR with moly coated 50gr Speer TNT 5 shot group

IMG_1461.jpg

all brass was what looked like FC military with the dots and all primers were BR-4.

it sure does like 50gr better than 55s...they make a good 3-4" group from it. All the more reason to believe it is 1:12.

looks like it likes the lower charge best too.

if you looked inside this thing at the pits and the damage in the crown you would never believe this rifle would shoot and it is a factory gun

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    if you looked inside this thing at the pits and the damage in the crown you would never believe this rifle would shoot and it is a factory gun
    Yessir! My boot camp issued M16A2 was beat to crap and straight up murdered by a non stop flood of recruits who knew nothing and cared not about crowns... and I still qualified 2 points over Expert with it's iron sights, shooting 9 out of 10 at 300 yards and 8 out of 10 at 500 yards, on average, day in and day out for a whole week. Amazing how inherently accurate the M16 style platform really is.

Last edited:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    I have viewed some interesting stuff on crowns and how they don't affect accuracy. They even included angled cuts with a side grinder with the claim is doesn't affect it as much as one thinks.

Raven

Master
    I have viewed some interesting stuff on crowns and how they don't affect accuracy. They even included angled cuts with a side grinder with the claim is doesn't affect it as much as one thinks.
    I think it all depends on where the cut is. Like if it's directly above the bore then that can be compensated with by sighting in your elevation and you'd never know it was because of that nick in your crown. Of course I don't have any science to back this up

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Someone brought me by a Winchester 94AE Large Loop Trapper (I Think). first 3 of the serial were 600 so maybe '91...yikes a crossbolt saftey...does that make it '92? Looked inside with the Hawkeye and the bluing inside was a good as it was outside...throat looked perfect. Minute evidence of copper...so it hasn't been shot much. Then I noticed some deep scratches on one side of the forearm next to the receiver and a strong blemish on top near the rear of the ejection port. Looks like the saddle ring or saddle ring plug was missing. Then there was a WoW! look at the crack in the stock...it doesn't even look like it was clamped when it was glued from seeing how it was right with the buttplate. Looks like Midwest has a few stocks in stock and they are around $150+/-. Maybe we can come together on a price.

Daezee

Master
    I took my Contender 256 Win Mag bbl to the range Sunday. It had come with 100's of loaded rounds. With the jacketed reloads (87gr HP bullets and 2400 pounder), 5 out of 6 would split the case mouth (cases made from Starline 357 Mag brass), but were Very accurate. With jacketed reloads in 256 Win Mag headstamped brass, no case splits. With the cast bullet reloads that came with the bbl (brass made from Staline 357 Mag brass), there were no splits, but the accuracy was only so-so.

As you know, I like to shoot cast bullets. Searching for cast bullet 256 data, there isn't much out there. What I had in mind was using medium burning pistol powder cast bullet loads with available powders and wanted to try Unique first. I had no need for 2000 fps loads. Looking in the Lyman 3rd edition cast bullet manual under pistol, there were no Unique loads listed. Looking in the same manual but in the rifle section, I found 2 Unique loads, one with 5.0gr Unique giving 1669fps in a rifle and 6.0gr Unique giving 1883fps in a rifle. I'm using an 11" pistol barrel.

I load up 1 round with 4.5gr Unique and a 71gr cast gas check bullet. I experiment with seating the bullet out until the Contender will just close the bbl, so my oal was longer than in the book. Mild recoil, and a water filled soda can blows up when hit (flat point bullet). Neck size that one empty and load 5.0gr Unique, blowing up a gallon jug of water. Neck size that one empty again and load 6.0g Unique. Recoil still mild and no high pressure signs. No split neck either after 3 loads and no bore leading.

Load up test loads with 4.5, 5.0, 5.5, and 6.0gr Unique and go the neighbor's range Monday. 4.5 groups the worst, 5.0 better, 5.5 best, and 6.0 group opening up. No split necks. No leading. Shown below is my 5.5gr Unique load. I figure my error is at least a quarter inch as I struggled to keep centered in the 1/2" white of the bullseye. Target distance was 25yd. Back at home, I cast more of the 25cal type bullets while I waited for a couple of guys to stop and pick up items they'd bought. I ended up casting 560 of those little bullets (averaged 71.2gr each). Had one casualty. For reason unknown, my mold handle broke. I'm gentle on the casting equipment, using a plastic mallet to cut the sprue and knock the bullets out. Installed another handle and went back to casting.

618406AE-1DD2-4A9A-9E59-4A397FB057B3.jpeg
    60B2DD26-CFCC-4990-AF82-6E4B56502D60.jpeg
    FDD72F61-7AD6-44D1-B27B-A70865F7B3F3.jpeg

MNOFSTL

Shooter
    Taught my almost 2yo why she shouldn’t touch the shotgun. Past few days, got my 10yo a Holster for a 9mm. (To use on private property in the country). Helped an older neighbor find a holster he would be happy with. Tomorrow, I am supposed to show him the proper way to use it.

Daezee

Master
    Took my 256 Win Mag Contender to the club. A few clicks and it was sighted in at 35yd. Friend brought his chronograph. At 10' from the chronograph and an air temp of 70 degrees, my 71gr cast bullets averaged 1525 fps, extreme spread of 20 fps. I was very pleased with the velocity...I'd figured on getting maybe 1200 fps since that powder charge per Lyman should have given around 1750 out of a 24" bbl (my Contender bbl is 11"). When I was down to 10 rounds of my reloads left, I took the last 10 shots at golf balls at the 35yd plinking range. I hit all 10 shots using a rest for shooting. Life is good.

Talked to Oneshot. He'll remove the old cerakote and then probably bead blast my bbl to give it a dull look, better matching the stainless TC frame I'll be using it on.

Finally, just for the heck of it, I formed a 256 Win Mag case from a 38 special piece of brass. Gave a MUCH shorter neck than the 357 Mag brass you are supposed to use. Velocity of that one shot was 1418 fps. Figure the much shorter neck put much less tension on the bullet thus less pressure build up so less velocity.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Looked at the prices for guns
    And ammo and thought, I’m glad I bought when I did!
    me too, loaded up on 30-30 and 45-70 a while back... they are high as a giraffes ass now.

Top Bottom