• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    I am afeared to ask how much water did you use.. was it dumped on the wood also??
    A full hot pots worth...2 and a half coffee mugs worth with soap and then the rest to rinse it out. I didn't try to get it on the wood, but some did. I should have used a funnel.

Raven

Master
    A full hot pots worth...2 and a half coffee mugs worth with soap and then the rest to rinse it out. I didn't try to get it on the wood, but some did. I should have used a funnel.
    Did you get the bolt too? Gotta get the bolt. The high chamber pressure blows the corrosive into the metal backwards all thru the bolt too

Raven

Master
    The easiest thing to do to get all the wood one color is take a second pot of the same mixture you used earlier to the rest of the wood from the chamber to the butt plate. Also, don't put that thing in a safe until it's all dry. And at this point, I would NOT take the receiver out of the wood. It probably will swell a little now, and there will be a real possibility that if you take it out of the wood that you won't be able to get it back in. It's not as bad as it sounds. Don't hyperventilate! Fact is most WW2 service rifles spent whole days, weeks and months getting soaking wet outdoors in trenches, amphibious operations and snow

Last edited:

indy1919a4

Marksman
    The easiest thing to do to get all the wood one color is take a second pot of the same mixture you used earlier to the rest of the wood from the chamber to the butt plate. Also, don't put that thing in a safe until it's all dry. And at this point, I would NOT take the receiver out of the wood. It probably will swell a little now, and there will be a real possibility that if you take it out of the wood that you won't be able to get it back in. It's not as bad as it sounds. Don't hyperventilate! Fact is most WW2 service rifles spent whole days, weeks and months getting soaking wet outdoors in trenches, amphibious operations and snow
    The only caveat with the rifle.. This finish was not put on for war duty.. These were all heavily redone and refinished by Mitchells.. (God bless them) for beauty more then for use. So in this case more caution then normal.

But you are right 1st get the stock to one color (or really one finish) before going forth. Which I betcha can be done with water.

Yeah you want to remove the rifle from the stock before any refinishing. It will fit back. :) Besides I have my suspicions that boat has sailed.. :)

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Did you get the bolt too? Gotta get the bolt. The high chamber pressure blows the corrosive into the metal backwards all thru the bolt too
    Now each of us must follow what our heart tells us, but unless the primer has been pierced, Nothing is blowing back into that bolt.

Not that one should not clean the bolt now and then but a light wipe down on the face it all one needs under normal shooting.

3blamo

Expert
    After doing some time overseas, I came home to some SCAR 17 goodies I bought throughout the year.
    Mototech TiN Coated Gas Piston
    Mototech TiN SCAR 3 Selector
    Mototech Buffer Pad (Nylon)

PMM 2” PRE
    PMM Rail Eliminator (Dimpled)
    PMM BCD
    PMM Surefire Shoulder Ring

Surefire SOCOM 7.62

C745D2DF-71F3-4CA7-BED5-F197E96D760F.jpeg

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Got a Laser!! A very nice one too, thanks Paul. 0 at 20 feet. Has steady on and pulse. Have it set for pulse.

Attachments

• 20211223_184413_001.jpg
      20211223_184413_001.jpg
      1.9 MB · Views: 61

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Put a Timney trigger fix in an 1100 I got not long ago... trying to retro grade it up. Lots of other stuff already gone in it with lots more to go.20211215_122545.jpg20211215_164105.jpg20211215_164119.jpg20211223_131241.jpg

rviray

Marksman
    Took apart 2 different ar15s to make the lightest AR15 based on the parts that I currently have. The lightest I got is 4.33lbs. I need to shave off another pound (about 16oz) so I can can hit a 3.33lbs. Need to figure out what I can do to hit that mark.

I got a FOSTech lower, Anderson slick side upper, 16" Faxon Pencil barrel and lightweight BCG.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Took apart 2 different ar15s to make the lightest AR15 based on the parts that I currently have. The lightest I got is 4.33lbs. I need to shave off another pound (about 16oz) so I can can hit a 3.33lbs. Need to figure out what I can do to hit that mark.

I got a FOSTech lower, Anderson slick side upper, 16" Faxon Pencil barrel and lightweight BCG.
    Pix!

rviray

Marksman
    IMG_1425.jpg

This is the break down in ounces. I didn't include front/back sights...I figured that will be about 2.5oz, I can loose that when I take off the paracord on the strock. My biggest hurdle is trying to figure out how to loose the 16-18 oz. without sacrificing function. I already have a lightweight buffer and spring. I can probably shave of 1-2 oz on a titanium gas block and toying around with milling some of the material off from the magwell and stock. Don't know though.

Barrel + Gas Block + Gas Tube
    21.9​
    Stripped Upper
    6.5​
    Lower
    24.4​
    Muzzle + Crush Washer
    1.1​
    BCG
    8.5​
    Handguard + Barrel Nut
    7​
    69.4​

justapilgrim

Marksman
    View attachment 142613

This is the break down in ounces. I didn't include front/back sights...I figured that will be about 2.5oz, I can loose that when I take off the paracord on the strock. My biggest hurdle is trying to figure out how to loose the 16-18 oz. without sacrificing function. I already have a lightweight buffer and spring. I can probably shave of 1-2 oz on a titanium gas block and toying around with milling some of the material off from the magwell and stock. Don't know though.

Barrel + Gas Block + Gas Tube
    21.9​
    Stripped Upper
    6.5​
    Lower
    24.4​
    Muzzle + Crush Washer
    1.1​
    BCG
    8.5​
    Handguard + Barrel Nut
    7​
    69.4​

Raven

Master

Cut off the rails that you're not using and drill holes all thru your receivers and buffer tube and stock. You could take the stock and handguard off altogether because you don't need them. Hold it by the magwell and put your cheek on the buffer tube like an AR pistol. How low can you go? This isn't a service rifle. No competent infantryman would ever hit the dirt with an AR full of holes. So... you don't need a safety switch. You don't need a bolt hold open. You don't need a bolt release paddle. You don't need a compensator. You don't need so long of a trigger. Glock and Sig just proved you don't need finger grooves on a pistol grip. Tavor's proved you don't need a trigger guard.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    In the last several days - ->
    * Installed a "domed" head safety
    * Installed a +1 mag tube
    On my REM TAC-14
    IMO both great,cheap,and NOT cool guy add ons. THIS ... FOR ME.
    Went to my club with another forum member, to break in shoot some shells thru my TAC-14 and several of his shotguns.
    Several things learned:
    * My Rem Tac does not like the mini shells. ( Both CHALLENGER and Aguila). It will cycle and fire them 75% of the time ... but not good enough for SD/HD and vechicle defense when on the road.
    It WILL cycle the 2.75" shells no matter the power or shot load.
    I will stick with #5 shot and/or #4buck.
    * A "normal" length bbl (24 - 28)Rem 1100,shortened to 18.5 WILL cycle the higher powered loads just fine.
    We shot about 75 shells total.
    I am looking for a "donor" gun to modify. But still cannot deceide between a gas gun and inertia gun. ---- SAWMAN
    20211225_071307.jpg
    20211225_071242.jpg
    20211225_071204.jpg
    20211225_071100.jpg

Last edited:

rviray

Marksman
    Cut off the rails that you're not using and drill holes all thru your receivers and buffer tube and stock. You could take the stock and handguard off altogether because you don't them. Hold it by the magwell and put your cheek on the buffer tube like an AR pistol. How low can you go? This isn't a service rifle. No competent infantryman would ever hit the dirt with an AR full of holes. So... you don't need a safety switch. You don't need a bolt hold open. You don't need a bolt release paddle. You don't need a compensator. You don't need so long of a trigger. Glock and Sig just proved you don't need finger grooves on a pistol grip. Tavor's proved you don't need a trigger guard.
    All valid points Raven. But since this is a range toy that my family sometimes shoot, I don't want to sacrifie safety and reliability. I do plan on making some cuts on the MFT stock. Your ideas on cutting some of the rails, I haven't even considered...but I am now. I'm already researching how to make some router cuts on the magwell and handguard.

Murfpcola

Master
    In the last several days - ->
    * Installed a "domed" head safety
    * Installed a +1 mag tube
    On my REM TAC-14
    IMO both great,cheap,and NOT cool guy add ons. THIS ... FOR ME.
    Went to my club with another forum member, to break in shoot some shells thru my TAC-14 and several of his shotguns.
    Several things learned:
    * My Rem Tac does not like the mini shells. ( Both CHALLENGER and Aguila). It will cycle and fire them 75% of the time ... but not good enough for SD/HD and vechicle defense when on the road.
    It WILL cycle the 2.75" shells no matter the power or shot load.
    I will stick with #5 shot and/or #4buck.
    * A "normal" length bbl (24 - 28)Rem 1100,shortened to 18.5 WILL cycle the higher powered loads just fine.
    We shot about 75 shells total.
    I am looking for a "donor" gun to modify. But still cannot deceide between a gas gun and inertia gun. ---- SAWMANView attachment 142640View attachment 142641View attachment 142642View attachment 142643

I am curious why you seem to have switched from the Mossberg to the Remington

Murfpcola

Master
    Been wanting a Dissipator upper for a while and PSA has them fairly cheap on Black Friday. Santa brought me one so put the bcg, ch and carry handle on it. I figure I will kill the resale value on this one with some kind of rattle can camo job. Thinking of trying several shades of gray. Not 50, just several
    B614DF6C-D055-4A94-8D7C-2492FA00CD0F.jpeg

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Been wanting a Dissipator upper for a while and PSA has them fairly cheap on Black Friday. Santa brought me one so put the bcg, ch and carry handle on it. I figure I will kill the resale value on this one with some kind of rattle can camo job. Thinking of trying several shades of gray. Not 50, just severalView attachment 142672
    You must go full 50 shades bruh...

Reactions: FLT

Jevaughn

Master
    So, a couple years ago, I bought my son a 6.5 Creed and have him the optic off my .308. been without a scope on this baby since. Wife bought me a scope for Christmas, an Athlon Argos 6-24x50 mil/mil. Get it mounted, everything is leveled and torqued just right. I lower the comb and pull out the bolt to get a rough bore sight in the back yard. Damned scope has less than 5 mil of vertical adjustment. Took out the zero stops and still no bueno. Tell her it's defective, apparently it was an open box discount on Amazon. Processed a return and ordered an Arken 6-24x50 34mm tube with the combo kit (flip caps, 20moa cantilever mount, throw lever, etc.) for $60 more than what she paid for just this Athlon scope. Lesson. Don't buy open box optics off Amazon, and look for awesome discount codes from the manufacturer. The free combo kit and free shipping on the Arken website is CYCLOPS if anyone else is interested
    5e82cace4ae01ea72d2631b3228df15a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Differences between the Moss 590 SHOCKWAVE and the Rem TAC-14 are few. Several are the placement of controls and fore end.
    I did not like the placement of the Moss safety. If your strong hand (right hand) rides up and fwd dure to recoil or rapid shots,it will tear your thumb and web of hand to pieces.
    Placement of slide release is somewhat different. I liked the Moss better.
    The Moss is drilled and tapped for a small pic rail. ( for me,possibility of small laser,green )
    The Moss WILL SHOOT MINI SHELLS with the install of a OPSOL. ($20.00 and takes 5 seconds without tools.)
    IMO - -> both are great guns ... with a specifically designed purpose. But suggest the prospective buyer handle them both before making a choice as to which to buy. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:
    Top Bottom