• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Only fudds buy 20rd boxes of defensive ammo. 50rd boxes FTW.

And one of the biggest issues with 357MAG Speer JHPs the last couple of years been availability.
    This Fudd usually gets those 20 round boxes 50 or 100 at a time. But since the .357/38 Special is so simplistic to reload, I expect folks that expend large quantities of these rounds reload/hand load their own. JMHO. Back in my days of competition siilloute shooting, both the straight walled.44 Mag/special & .357 Mag/38 Special hit the bench weekly. Extended practice sessions would usually find me with the .22 LR, all three being launched by Dan Wesson Revolvers. While the 22LR & .357 matched perfectly, the .44 was a bit heavier. (Which was appreciated when shooting multiple 40 round legs in a day.)

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Well if you don't like money, but 20rd boxes; cost per round is usually 2x.

I bought cases of Federal HST in your flavor at $400 / 1K before the Rona and still have plenty.

Enjoy your machinations and opinions. ;)

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I still have a few 100 rd boxes of +p 125 gr. Sjhp that I snagged at wm back when they were $40 a box.....sheesh. not even that long ago...fjb

I wish I was ready to learn reloading.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well if you don't like money, but 20rd boxes; cost per round is usually 2x.

I bought cases of Federal HST in your flavor at $400 / 1K before the Rona and still have plenty.

Enjoy your machinations and opinions. ;)
    I've never noticed a price difference in thousand round lots between those packed 20 to a box and those packed 50 to a box. Perhaps there is a small price break on thousand round lots of loose packed ammo. But usually loose packed is Surplus. Still have a couple hundred Magtech 180 grain .357 Mags at 50 to a box. Been a minute since I've taken the time to reload any of the once fired brass in .357. Since I got the L-frame.44 Mag the .357 doesn't even see a holster during hunting season like it once did.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Cheaper than dirt just sent a sales notice, 1100fps 158 grain .357 Mag Law Enforcement Rounds 250 count $179.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Guess the .357 isn't extinct yet, Never been discharged 1966 Python listed for sale on this forum. Then again if it hasn't ever been used perhaps the .357 lost favor earlier than I thought? There used to be a certain Aura about Colt Python Revolvers, but production costs eventually did them in.

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Some things are manufactured for the mass Population, Manufacturer as many as we can as cheap as we can and Sell them for as much as we can. Some things were manufactured for people who appreciate the finer things in life. The Colt Python the Winchester model 12. It is not that these things ever went out of favor, This is what happens when the peanut counters take over cooperations.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I half agree with that. Father in Law that never used a sidearm Professionally owned a .357 Python, all the folks in the family that Professionally used sidearms and didn't get a Python issued purchased less costly revolvers. Think I would list the Pre 64 Winchester Model 70 as a closer comparison to the Python. JMHO. https://gunsmagazine.com/gear/pre-64-winchester-model-70s/

Last edited:

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I buy a few boxes here and there if I run up on 357’s and 38’s as I’ve got four 357’s and five 38’s. I’ve bought these wheel guns to give to all the granddaughters and daughter in laws one of these days as I rather have them start off with a revolver. My wife keeps a 357 snub nose in her vehicle at all times.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just wondering how many decades it will take before the Ladies become as convinced as many of our other members that they MUST HAVE double stacked Wonder Nines in their purses to be adequately armed for self defense? Or is it more about the concern that a Lady may be more prone to face single predator situations? Which snub nosed revolvers are still adequate to resolve.

Mike75

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a Taurus 689 .357 Magnum. I leave it in my truck. Not exactly a CCW as it has a 6" barrel. But a you said, it will shoot the much cheaper .38 special. But nothing is cheap anymore. I paid $39 for a box of 20 .357 Magnum. But you have to have them to get a feel for the gun and to keep proficient with it. You can shoot the .38 just to keep in practice, but since they don't kick like the .357 then it's not the same. So you have to spend there money and essentially burn it. I have 8 guns in the house and only 2 use the same ammo. I don't know which one is the most fun to shoot though. They are all a blast. (No pun intended).

Ruger 10/22 - 22 Long, Landor arms Bull Pup - 12 gauge, Raven P-25 - .25ACP, Bersa Lusbar 844 - 7.65 Browning / .32 ACP, Charter Arms Under Cover - .38 special Glock 19 - 9mm, Taurus Millennia G2C - 9mm, Taurus 689 - .357 / .38 Special.

And I'm looking into the Taurus G3C for my daughter and the Tisas Zigana 1911 B45R Duty, is a 1911 clone chambered in .45 ACP (It has alot of great reviews, including alot that say it's as good as the military issue 1911's) as the model number states. But it's all black with the creakote finish, upgraded hammer and trigger, extended thumb safety and it has the grip safety.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, the .38 Special & .357 Magnum ammo locker are filled a little higher Thanks to CTD. Perhaps it's time to let the children show an Old Timer what they got over the Holidays. Wonder if that Dan Wesson grip still fits this gnarled Old Hand? LOL.

bakron1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was shocked at the cost of 357 mag ammo!! To think I gave away at least 150 rounds of American made JHP when we moved from Michigan to Florida a couple years ago.

gnappi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like silly cartridge demos when they shoot at a variety of fruits and liquid filled jugs / bottles as if there's something I can see that makes me want to buy any caliber they're shooting whether it's a .357 mag, .380 or 9mm.

The .357's main disadvantage for me is they're too bulky for me to conceal. This is one reason I really like the .357 Sig (and 9x25 as well as the .38 super with heavy bullets) which all are concealable on me.

So is the .357 mag dead? It's no deader than the .44, it's just more in the hands of target shooters and hunters.

Oh, I still have my S&W x8's which get use, but truthfully not enough.

BayouPigeon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Once upon a time everyone Loved the .357 Mag. LEO's got cheap .38 Special loads and wheei-guns we're the order of the day. Then along came the double stack semiauto's and that low cost .38 Special ammo went away. Is anyone even carrying a .357 Mag while hunting? Once such a Darling, is the .357 Mag going the way of the Dinosaurs?
    I have and keep two .357’s, a Colt Python and a S&W 6” model 627. I reload my own ammo, so both are loaded up with Full WadCutters for HD. Police got away from the 6 rnd revolvers simply seeking more firepower. The 6 shot isn’t comparable to the firepower of the semi autos. The revolvers aren’t going anywhere, but my beretta 9mm clip holds 15 rnds plus one in the tube, a few extra clips and I’m sitting on a quick 60+ rnds vs the guys with revolvers carry 6 in the wheel and two speed loaders = 18 rnds. Policeman in a gunfight will want the 60+ rnds every time.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom