• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Is there any rough agreement on Top AR-15 builders?

The simple answer is no. There are many who swear by certain brand names. Colt guys are stuck on Colt as always being the best. Then, you have the KAC, LMT, DD, BCM, SOLGW guys and others who are brand loyal. It is not about the name on the weapon, but the quality of the parts put into it and the attention to detail in assembly. Boutique names can be deceiving at times. Heck, I have built many ARs over the years using some really good quality parts that would rival most any boutique name brand factory AR, with some exceptions. Again, as with most firearms, judgement is subjective and name brand bias plays a huge role with some people.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yup, I figured that HK would get an Honorable mention after the Navy guys basically made it a household name in AR-15 lore. Somehow I don't believe that Battlefield Fully Automatic Assault Weapons and Semiautomatic AR-15'S are comparable. JMHO. My AR-15's claim to fame is the 5R Rock creek barrel.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So what about AR-10's? How about that SFAR Ruger is bringing out? 16 inch barrel and under 7lbs? That sounds very light for a 7.62 x 51 AR. Ruger seems to be picking up Old Firearms Firms, any improvements or just more Bucks for Old Uncle Bill?

Taxesar3theft

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    So what about AR-10's? How about that SFAR Ruger is bringing out? 16 inch barrel and under 7lbs? That sounds very light for a 7.62 x 51 AR. Ruger seems to be picking up Old Firearms Firms, any improvements or just more Bucks for Old Uncle Bill?
    I have a jp enterprise ar 10 in 308 and it's a nasty beast. I wouldn't call it duty gun by any means but as long as she is taken care of she spits anything I put in her out no problem.

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I buy AK. Most any combloc country made. Even Pakistani type. Some American made are coming to standard. Some not. Everyone has there own idea. Colt handguns, AR 15 type rifles.
    This one is mine.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I buy AK. Most any combloc country made. Even Pakistani type. Some American made are coming to standard. Some not. Everyone has there own idea. Colt handguns, AR 15 type rifles.
    This one is mine.
    Is there a Top of the line AK? Doesn't any AR-15 chambered for 7.62 x 39 surpass an AK? Or even any piston AR?

gnappi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you consider one model I'd say the 1911 is still up there on top. A LGS has 7 display cases (6 of them new one used) of 1911's with prices ranging from ~$700 to $5000 and up, one case each of Glock, Sig, Beretta, Tanfoglio, and revolvers. I gotta believe a store in business that long has a business model keeping the doors open.

Sure there are stores that have scads of plastic firearms because they're cheap to stock a lot of, and people buy them because they're inexpensive.

So, IMO popularity because of price and popularity despite the price are two separate issues. You'll never see a table full of $5k plastic guns, well at least not until inflation makes it possible :)

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    It's the firearm that the owner / reviewer is talking / asking about.
    In ALL of the grocery store magazines touting the latest and newest firearms have you ever read or herd of a bad review ?
    How about ALL the u-tube knew it all's , ever watched a bad review ?
    How about all the specific firearm forums , ever read where Joe Schumkatelly posts "I've got XYZ chambered in _____ and if it wasn't for gravity this POS couldn't even hit the ground.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    In ALL of the grocery store magazines touting the latest and newest firearms have you ever read or herd of a bad review ?
    How about ALL the u-tube knew it all's , ever watched a bad review ?
    Yes I have, actually... in magazines, on the TV screen, YouTube, etc. There's bad reviews about bad products all the time. But I get paid to research for hours and hours every day. I'm getting paid to read your negative review and to write this, right now. I'll read 100 articles a month. Granted, not everybody is so lucky. Stay motivated! :)

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    L A SWAT almost singlehandedly started a cult following for the Glock 17L, perhaps that lead to the development of the G34? For a long time Colt had a cult following on 1911's and AR-15's, but I don't know that the following is very strong nowadays?
    Not so much now! LAPD switched over FN 509C recently. I imagine that may start a trend especially in law enforcement circles! I love my FN 509C it is a great shooter and great ergonomics!

skyydiver

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Is there a Top of the line AK? Doesn't any AR-15 chambered for 7.62 x 39 surpass an AK? Or even any piston AR?

Most any Combloc will do. And no, the AR platform and magazines aren’t designed around the tapered x39 and really require a lot of work to make them feed reliably, unlike the AK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Most any Combloc will do. And no, the AR platform and magazines aren’t designed around the tapered x39 and really require a lot of work to make them feed reliably, unlike the AK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I understand the purpose of actual full automatic AK's, but what does a semiautomatic AK offer that a Mini-30 doesn't? Not to mention the ease of mounting glass on a Mini. It's fine to like what you like and collect/purchase whatever you like, I'm just trying to understand the purpose/logic. Can you help me out?

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I understand the purpose of actual full automatic AK's, but what does a semiautomatic AK offer that a Mini-30 doesn't? Not to mention the ease of mounting glass on a Mini. It's fine to like what you like and collect/purchase whatever you like, I'm just trying to understand the purpose/logic. Can you help me out?
    Most Mini-30's don't shoot steel cased 7.62x39 very accurately due to their bore size. Mini-30 mags are very expensive compared to AK mags and after market mags for Mini's tend to be very unreliable. AK mags are fairly inexpensive and tend to be very reliable due to their design.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    what does a semiautomatic AK offer that a Mini-30 doesn't
    I've owned several of both, and I can tell you that an AK offers a simpler design that is easier to maintain and take apart and put back together. Sometimes that's worth its weight in gold, especially in a field environment. I have never had a problem mounting optics on a AK, ever. Between railed handguards and railed receiver covers and receiver mounts, you're covered. You want to talk about accuracy? Granted I've not tested a lot of AK's for accuracy... but the one that I did test for accuracy was a Romanian PSL without a scope and I was getting dime-sized groups at 75 yards, bone stock, as issued, right out of the box. And granted that was in a different caliber than the Mini 30 but it was still an AK with a stamped sheet metal receiver. Where AK's get bad reputations for accuracy is when people get trigger happy and cook their barrels. Another positive for AK over a Mini is the AK's ergonomics/stock furniture is infinitely more modular. Another positive for AK over a Mini is the ability to carry your cleaning rod and cleaning kit on the AK. I can keep going if you want me to :)

The one thing I am jealous about the Minis over an AK is the ability to have everything in stainless steel. I'd give my left arm for a milled receiver 100% stainless steel AK or SKS.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So any commie bloc isn't quite a Top Selection, can we narrow down the Top AK to at least a country of if not one manufacturer?

Top Bottom