DK Firearms

What’s waiting for you in your reloading room in 2024?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bodhi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Now that ‘24 is upon us, what projects are awaiting you in your reloading room for 2024?
    I’ll be loading some 223 and stocking up on cast bullets in one of my 44s (for hunting) come early this year. As soon as spring moves in and it gets warmer, more handgun reloading and range time. I’ve also got a rifle build project planned for this year. What about you?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Now that ‘24 is upon us, what projects are awaiting you in your reloading room for 2024?
    I’ll be loading some 223 and stocking up on cast bullets in one of my 44s (for hunting) come early this year. As soon as spring moves in and it gets warmer, more handgun reloading and range time. I’ve also got a rifle build project planned for this year. What about you?
    Don't mean to intrude on your post, but was wondering what reloading books use or suggest for a beginner reloader sir?

Bodhi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Don't mean to intrude on your post, but was wondering what reloading books use or suggest for a beginner reloader sir?
    All of the manuals have sections on the reloading process, but if your starting out, I suggest keeping it simple and finding a buddy-mentor nearby to help. The fundamental basics are easy to master - then you can get as detailed as you like. Youtube literally has thousands of videos. You could binge-watch for days. The internet was not around when I started some forty years ago.

I like the write-up explanations in the Lee manual and Lyman reloading books. Another good one is Hornady. Once you start reloading, you will collect load books for information.

There are knowledgeable folks here on the forum too. Never be afraid to ask, nor is any question too silly or stupid to ask. As with anything else, never stop learning or be afraid to ask a question. I’ve been reloading for close to forty years now and I admit sometimes I forget or get stumped and have to ask questions! Reloading is not and should never be a hobby practiced in a vacuum. We’re all here to learn and help!

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    The basic ABC of reloading is covered in all reloading manuals. To ask a simple question, what are you more interested in as far as reloading goes ? rifle or pistol ?
    I've got a couple of older manuals that are taking up space, you are welcome to them. Just PM me if you want them

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The basic ABC of reloading is covered in all reloading manuals. To ask a simple question, what are you more interested in as far as reloading goes ? rifle or pistol ?
    I've got a couple of older manuals that are taking up space, you are welcome to them. Just PM me if you want them
    Sounds crazy but I'm trying reload .45 acp, .327federal magnum and 7.62x54r if that is possible to do. Like I said I'm beginner and reloading and trying gather knowledge as much as I can.

Bodhi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Let me add what might just be the most crucial piece of advice for the novice reloader just starting out …. No one ever saved any money reloading.

Ask questions and more questions before you go spending your hard earned money. The old adage, “buy once, cry once,” is true. I think I can say we’re here to help.

Bodhi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Soon as I get my reloading room set up. Sorted hope to load some x39 and 308 for my 1:12 twist 308 to see what my bolt guns can really do. Still need to chase down more lrp. To me handloaded ammo is way more accurate, powerful than factory stuff.
    The joy of reloading is in the fruits of your labors.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Let me add what might just be the most crucial piece of advice for the novice reloader just starting out …. No one ever saved any money reloading.

Ask questions and more questions before you go spending your hard earned money. The old adage, “buy once, cry once,” is true. I think I can say we’re here to help.
    Thank you sir, that's my exact thoughts. I guess when I become more skilled and more knowledgeable then I will start to invest. Is it possible to reload 7.62x54r ?

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

TRUE TRUE TRUE, BUT $$$$$$ more expensive doesn't always equal "more better"
    What I might suggest under a seperate post to to ask if anyone is doing and 2024 house cleaning of components and equipment .
    It would be up to you to see if you could coordinate several pick ups in the Milton area or the P-Cola area

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    What I might suggest under a seperate post to to ask if anyone is doing and 2024 house cleaning of components and equipment .
    It would be up to you to see if you could coordinate several pick ups in the Milton area or the P-Cola area
    I think that's good idea, but be honest I'd rather give something then take it for free. The only reason I say that is somebody had spend there hard earned money on it and I don't feel right moraly just taking and not giving something in return. If that makes any sense sir.

Bodhi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I would agree that generally, the amount of $ you spend does not necessarily translate to more accurate results, hence the offer to be a mentor to new reloaders. It feels good to pass along that hard-earned knowledge and experience when you can.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Ex actually and one thing I start out with is that no mater what you are told and what you read , keep one thing in mind , everyone has an opinion and a rectum. Take in as much of what others tell you and then it's up to you to sort through it all.
    The OP lists Navarre as his home. Navarre is now a big place, so the OP should be able to find a member here that is willing to do a "show & tell " on reloading at least on the 45 ACP

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    We moved to a new house in August. Roofers put a hole in the ceiling on what will be my reloading room. In patching the hole I found the wall above the window had some water damage too. Getting it all fixed up and hoping to have all my reloading stuff setup by spring. I desperately need to replenish my dwindling supply of pistol rounds.

Med24

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I need to build back stock up my 9mm and 40 so that's ahead first for me. Also want to develop a better practice round for my Taurus 38 revolver.

As for the new guy - I read a second hand Lyman manual cover to cover before I ever walked into Dads reloading room years ago (which is now mine). Research & choose your press carefully, a lot of what you can/will do and how well you can/will do it will hing off that. I'm a dillon fan, but that's prob cause it's my primary press and experience.

rkharper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just started a 1000 round batch of 147 grain 9mm, following that up with 180 grain 10mm, and finishing up with some 300 BO subs.

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I worked yesterday on re-adjusting the wad carrier on my ponsness warren 800 shotgun loader. After a few thousand rounds it needed tweaking. I shoot a lot of Cowboy Action matches so I try to keep several thousand rounds of 38 special loaded up ahead. I have a bunch of 45 acp that I need to load. My main cast bullet supplier has sold his equipment and living overseas 6 months out of the year so I am looking for a new supplier. Have it narrowed down to a couple. I have the mold for a 38 bullet I want to try so will plan on casting and powder coating some of them.

To the new guy, I live in Shalimar but would be happy to show you the ropes on reloading. I have taught dozens of people how to reload rifle, pistol and shotgun rounds over the years. The advice to read ABC's of reloading is spot on. Will give you an understanding of the process and equipment used. Send me a PM if you want some lessons. I have everything from single stage loaders to turret presses to dillon 650's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom