DK Firearms

What’s the minimum caliber you use for hogs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    fuk a gun...
    pack of dogs,at least one a good GamePitBull, and a Knife with a foot long blade....;)
    That is what the real men do. One problem is that hogs do not respect property boundaries and the dogs will follow. I was told by some hog-dog men one reason they did not carry a gun was that trespassing while in possession of a gun was more serious than trespassing with a knife. I am not really sure if that is so.
    following after dogs through swamps in the middle of the night swimming creeks and dodging water moccasins, not for me.

Gator1067

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In Florida if you are trespassing with dogs while hunting it is considered armed trespassing and Is a Felony. Might as well take the gun. Lol. I hunted with dogs most my life and loved it. We respected lines and had permission to hunt. Now a days. Not going to say all but most of this new generation of dog hunters has lost a lot of places to hunt do to the disrespect and put a lot bad taste in people’s mouths when you even mention dogs. Went out to my stand to hunt last night only to find 8 dogs and a guy hunting my feeder and the surrounding area. He’s not a property owner. But he knows a property owner. He at least was respectful and now knows the boundaries. Several other people I have found have given the response and attitude of I’ll run my dogs where I want and when I want.. But most of them don’t hunt the area anymore since they started finding tracking collars with no dogs attached to them. Point is. Hunt how ever you want to, hunt with what ever you want to hunt with. Be respectful to the people and properties you hunt and get it done.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Very informative thread. Hope to shoot some hogs some day and wondered if I would need a 30-06 to try and get through that famous shoulder armor

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    In Florida if you are trespassing with dogs while hunting it is considered armed trespassing and Is a Felony.

Where did you get that from? I assume you mean catch hunting but with no other common weapons present.

I'd be interested in a case where hunting dogs satisfied the element of "other dangerous weapon" as per FSS 810.09(2)(c).

I don't think LE can make the presumption that dogs per se satisfy the " other dangerous weapon" element/requirement.

If you happen to know of a case and/or case law on the subject I'd be very interested because I have caught trespassers with catch dogs in the past and most likely will in the future.

I suppose the presence or use of a verifiable and certified service (Bite) dog, such as those used in LE, under the right circumstances involving a trespass, could be argued... but the topic is "hunting dogs" and not specifically trained attack/apprehension/bite dogs.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Where did you get that from?

I'd be interested in a case where hunting dogs satisfied the element of "other dangerous weapon" as per FSS 810.09(2)(c).

I don't think LE can make the presumption that dogs per se satisfy the " other dangerous weapon" element/requirement.

If you happen to know of a case and/or case law on the subject I'd be very interested because I have caught trespassers with catch dogs in the past and most likely will in the future.

I suppose the presence or use of a verifiable and certified service (Bite) dog, such as those used in LE, under the right circumstances involving a trespass, could be argued... but the topic is "hunting dogs" and not specifically trained attack/apprehension/bite dogs.

Once upon a time Long, Long, Long ago, Florida Crackers used to rope Bore Hogs & snug them up to the nearest tree then castrate them so that they were more palatable when served on the table. Great Danes don't have a long lifetime, but they are purpose built when Hog Hunting becomes part of the menu. JMHO. Now just what Florida LEO is going to squat on your land during a Full Moon or Moonless night and pester Y'all about the family hound running a nuisance Boar to ground??????

About that trespassing? Folks is supposed to ask permission to hunt any land that ain't thier own. If they aren't civil or smart enough for common courtesy, they should be locked up and removed from the gene pool. JMHO. LOL.

Last edited:

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Now just what Florida LEO is going to squat on your land during a Full Moon or Moonless night and pester Y'all about the family hound running a nuisance Boar to ground??????

LOL... funny you mention that... it sounds like what the three guys I caught one night out in the middle of the ranch I hunt were saying/asking. I was actually night hunting and about 11pm, I see three guys and three catch dogs coming across the field. I believe I posted about it here after it happened.

When I caught them, they said something to the effect they had heard of me (I had been making my rounds telling the local hog boys to stay off the ranch) but they figured no way in hell I'd be in this area at this time. I told them (jokingly) my wife hates me, the dogs hate me, and all I have left in life was night hunting... I'm likely to pop up anywhere on the ranch at any time.

I decided not to arrest them on the agreement they help spread the word that I'm no mythical being... I am out here all the time and eventually will catch you if you come on the property. That made the total trespassers I've caught on the ranch five. The landowners are extremely appreciative.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Now about that "Bite Dog", Uncle Stan brought home a German Shepherd from WWII. The Government pulled all the dogs teeth prior to it being released on the Civilian Public. Somehow the dog managed to choke a couple of intruders into submission without any teeth. LOL

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Once upon a time Long, Long, Long ago, Florida Crackers used to rope Bore Hogs & snug them up to the nearest tree then castrate them so that they were more palatable when served on the table. Great Danes don't have a long lifetime, but they are purpose built when Hog Hunting becomes part of the menu. JMHO. Now just what Florida LEO is going to squat on your land during a Full Moon or Moonless night and pester Y'all about the family hound running a nuisance Boar to ground??????
    It was the custom through much of the south to run the pigs in the woods and round them up in the fall. In Louisiana the catahoula cur was used for that. I am not sure exactly how it was done. There is a scene in the film old yeller depicting such a scene for texas. I could not find it on youtube. But hogs were rounded up and the young males were fixed and let go again. I doubt that most would mess with an old boar. Crackers most likely did not have great danes. There were in the south white mastiffs dating in origins back likely to early spanish times. They are generally lumped in with the white english group of southern dogs. Picture of the 120 lb white english sire in a couple of my dogs. These dogs are now days will likely cease to exist being replaced by less suitable dogs for the south and also the american bulldog that is based on white english dogs.

1588291125764.png

Below is picture of a dog from a texas family line that has mexican bulldog in his ancestry. His owner now lives in Arizona near the mexican border.
    1588291585252.png

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It was the custom through much of the south to run the pigs in the woods and round them up in the fall. In Louisiana the catahoula cur was used for that. I am not sure exactly how it was done. There is a scene in the film old yeller depicting such a scene for texas. I could not find it on youtube. But hogs were rounded up and the young males were fixed and let go again. I doubt that most would mess with an old boar. Crackers most likely did not have great danes. There were in the south white mastiffs dating in origins back likely to early spanish times. They are generally lumped in with the white english group of southern dogs. Picture of the 120 lb white english sire in a couple of my dogs. These dogs are now days will likely cease to exist being replaced by less suitable dogs for the south and also the american bulldog that is based on white english dogs.

View attachment 83788
    Below is picture of a dog from a texas family line that has mexican bulldog in his ancestry. His owner now lives in Arizona near the mexican border.
    View attachment 83789

Perhaps I'd request that you research some of the first breeds imported into Florida.In order to become a mixed breed, perhaps pure breeds need be first imported??
    I've also spent time in the Pacific Islands, many a POI has been served off the grill.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Used to be that a dog was kept depending on how much it gathered for the family. Should the dog outweigh the amount of food placed on the table, well FIDO became the Family Meal. JMHO.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Perhaps I'd request that you research some of the first breeds imported into Florida.In order to become a mixed breed, perhaps pure breeds need be first imported??
    I've also spent time in the Pacific Islands, many a POI has been served off the grill.
    'Pure' breeds are something that is more or less associated with the Victorian era dog shows. The fastest way to ruin a working or hunting breed is to put them into conformation type dog shows. The people in my dog group are very much interested in the first dogs brought into La florida that was the name of the spanish territory. The dogs were mostly named for type being based on what they did. If the dog did not do its job well, it got terminated. People bred what worked for them. Overall, even today some of the best dogs are what are called curs that seem to be able to do everything and there is often a lot of variation in what they look like.
    A man would pay a lot for a horse and almost nothing for a dog. The dog was only valued for what it did. This is huge topic and really very little is known about it. There are people in my group that know a lot about it reading every obscure old book that can find. They also learned a lot from the old dog men that are now dead.
    For history one could go through the old sailing manifests. Most of the legitimate spanish vessels have there manifests still in old archives. How ever the pirates and smugglers not so much. The history of the Americas in the 16th and 17th century is not really taught here and most people have no idea of what went down.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    'Pure' breeds are something that is more or less associated with the Victorian era dog shows. The fastest way to ruin a working or hunting breed is to put them into conformation type dog shows. The people in my dog group are very much interested in the first dogs brought into La florida that was the name of the spanish territory. The dogs were mostly named for type being based on what they did. If the dog did not do its job well, it got terminated. People bred what worked for them. Overall, even today some of the best dogs are what are called curs that seem to be able to do everything and there is often a lot of variation in what they look like.
    A man would pay a lot for a horse and almost nothing for a dog. The dog was only valued for what it did. This is huge topic and really very little is known about it. There are people in my group that know a lot about it reading every obscure old book that can find. They also learned a lot from the old dog men that are now dead.
    For history one could go through the old sailing manifests. Most of the legitimate spanish vessels have there manifests still in old archives. How ever the pirates and smugglers not so much. The history of the Americas in the 16th and 17th century is not really taught here and most people have no idea of what went down.

Pure breeds are breed to do specific chores. They are not breed to do artsy fartsy I look good in a Judges Ring. Oil up your shotgun and take a Chesapeake Retriever out in November. Outrun a Lab in the game fields and pond puddles of Indiana in November. Even a German Shorthair will out work most hunters in the November cornfield stubble. JMHO.

Purebred hunting dogs are designed to be in the field, using them in any other method only causes undo stress in the dog. JMHO. If you want a lap dog by all means get a lap dog. If all you require is a family pet, get a family pet. But should you purchase a hunting dog for any other reason than to hunt that dog........... SHAME ON YOU. JMHO.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Many of the better known mastiff type of dogs of Europe were at one time called alanos in English. They were associated with the Alani tribes (Iran type language speakers) that entered the Roman empire more or less being pushed by the Huns. Some of of them ended up guarding Hadrian's Wall for the Romans. They were famous for the dogs and horses. These dogs were said then by crossbreeding have developed into diverse types and the terms and definitions I find confusing. Any way the Alani are long gone, but the spanish still have Alanos with the name in france being Alaunts.
    Fact is just about every part of the central asia, asia minor, and greek speaking areas of the old world had a mastiff of some sort.
    Assyrian Mastiff Metropolitan museum of ...
    pinterest.co.uk

1588297304645.png

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There ain't many folks that need "The Gamekeepers Dog" that can more or less feed & house them to make them actual "Working Dogs" worth thier weight. Most Field Spaniels won't ever fetch thier miniscule weight in birds on the table. Modern Limits on Waterfowl make it doubtful that any Retriever Breed shall ever again be worth thier weight in dog food. Hey let's be honest, a Chiweenie backed by an Owner with a 590 & 1911 is about the only dog that's actually going to earn it's weight in dog food in today's world. JMHO.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Back to the op. A handful of you on here are probably 1-2 moa shooters. Most of us are not, possibly due to poor shooting habits, "cheap guns" , lack of practice etc,al. Paper plates dont scratch fleas, twitch,eat or just move when your trying to shoot them. Animals do.Ive never had my heart race, blood pressure spike shooting paper put a live animal in my sights and all these things happen in a flash. This is where the larger calibers come in to correct bad shooting, buck fever, cheaper ammo/guns/scopes. YMMV.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Back to the op. A handful of you on here are probably 1-2 moa shooters. Most of us are not, possibly due to poor shooting habits, "cheap guns" , lack of practice etc,al. Paper plates dont scratch fleas, twitch,eat or just move when your trying to shoot them. Animals do.Ive never had my heart race, blood pressure spike shooting paper put a live animal in my sights and all these things happen in a flash. This is where the larger calibers come in to correct bad shooting, buck fever, cheaper ammo/guns/scopes. YMMV.
    That not really a good concept. Take only the shots that you can make.

Gator1067

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My buddy only shoots a .308 during deer season for that exact reason. Then again he is legally blind. Lol For me all that happens after the shot. Will be steady and calm as can be during but need a couple deep breathes after.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Some of US may be offended by being lumped into the 1 MOA Shooter Club! But irregardless of how sloppy Time & Tide or Old Age & Traitorously treat US. Cubic inch Displacement don't make up "Shot Placement"!
    A miss with an Atom Bomb is still a MISS! A 22LR in the vital zone shall still be more effective in harvesting game than any miss of any caliber. Just the living truth. JMHO.

Top Bottom