HD Tactical

What’s the minimum caliber you use for hogs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blackhawk

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Like sawman said a well placed shot is key head or neck. I have put a .270 and 2 44 mag rounds federal hydroschoks in one 275-300 pounder. He was charging me the 270 sat him back on his Hinds, the first 44 turned him away from about 10 feet and he took the second 44 and ran off. This is the one I killed when the other 2 charged me.
    3c03037918664a757555c2f2ef482986.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My 416Rigby could work. Got a 458Lott and some 500gr round nose also.
    But possibly a 300BLK might do. Think that would be powerful enough ??
    How about a AR/308 reduced load,to put out a well constructed bullet (Barnes TSX) of 130grs @ 2650 ??
    Do I stand a chance ?? Hmmmmm . . . what will my next hog gun be ?? --- SAWMAN

Gator1067

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    At 50 yards off my feeder I generally use a .22 mag Rite behind the eye or a single shot cva .243. 90 grain fusion no matter where i want to put it. Never had one walk yet no matter the size. I once had a 150 grain Corlokt 30-06 blow up on a big boars shoulders at 25 yards. Went back 2 days later and dropped him stone cold dead with a .22 LR CCI stinger in the ear. It looked like I took a drill bit and went a 1/2 inch into his shield and carved out about an inch around it. Shot placement is everything with anything I know but the answer of a .300 win mag just blew my mind and the amount of guys there that said it was a must to shoot a hog with a large caliber to do the job. These are the guys that are in the stores giving advise to new hunters. If this kid had never shot much before the recoil alone off a .300 win mag would probably turn him off of shooting and hunting hogs all together if that’s what he thought he had to use. Just my opinion and everyone has their reasons for having there own.

zombieh8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    My dads killed plenty with his .223 shooting 75gr gold dots. I prefer my .300BO shooting the 135ftx.

Attachments

• 327FD826-A059-4A84-B659-EE02804B4FAF.jpeg
      327FD826-A059-4A84-B659-EE02804B4FAF.jpeg
      661.2 KB · Views: 196

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I have seen a Rigby rip the whole spine outta one at 50-60 yards running. I have seen a 6' shot from a .45-70 to the shoulder explode inside...still have the jacket..lost the polymer tip. I use a .223 75gr most of the time out to 200 in a MSR with N/V. I absolutely love sticking one with my Ka-Bar Presentation.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Well, I can say one thing: A .22LR at 20' or less going in the 9xx fps range and hitting a mature wild boar in the forehead about 1" above the eyes (with the forehead lowered a little so it's direct hit and not a glancing blow) will cause the boar to shake its head and continue running. When finally killed with something more powerful, upon skinning the forehead to see what happened, you will see a dent in the skull with a little bruising around it and no penetration or crack of the bone. A smaller hog, if hit in the ear hole with the same firearm will kill it. Perhaps if traveling at a greater velocity it might have made a difference.

I no longer try to kill captured wild hogs with a .22LR.

FWIW, my .380 carry pistol with Speer Gold Dot hollow points will penetrate a hog's skull.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Well, I can say one thing: A .22LR at 20' or less going in the 9xx fps range and hitting a mature wild boar in the forehead about 1" above the eyes (with the forehead lowered a little so it's direct hit and not a glancing blow) will cause the boar to shake its head and continue running.

I no longer try to kill captured wild hogs with a .22LR.

:D we were emptying traps one morning....I kept telling my buddy to try and shoot them in the ear hole or right behind the ear. This one he shot like you described between the eyes and it went down in the trap...shot the 2nd behind the ear. We opened the box trap and I went inside stepping over the first one and grabbing the second to drag them out. About the time I got one foot over and was straddling the first one ...it stood up...fat kid can move pretty quick sometimes...left um both n the trap and they shut the door behind me. All it had was a skint spot...his .41 fixed that issue.

I think it is fine with the right shot placement...I have been using my PMR30 for the big coral traps when we set them...it works really good with the Hornady Critical Defense rounds at those distances and it's not that loud.

Gator1067

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I believe every bit of it. Do I suggest using a .22 LR as a primary weapon for hogs as an everyday hunting trip carry of course I don’t. My point was the lack of knowledge these guys had on hogs none the less the ballistics it actually takes to kill one and being in a position to give advise. If you are working in a gun or hunting store I feel you should have some knowledge regarding what you are selling if new hunters or shooters ask advise. As a hog agent for the state for 14 years in my off time and trapping for properties I averaged over 2000 hogs a year. My primary weapon was a Remington 700 22-250 26” bull barrel shooting 55 grain corlokt. On average I maybe lost 5 a year that I didn’t recover out to 200 plus yards and generally that was in the swamps or thick saw grass. My trap gun was a single shot .22LR with cci stingers or a heritage .22 mag pistol for smaller traps and a bolt action .22 mag with game points for corral traps. Once again I know shot placement is everything and even with that there is no guarantees. Keep hunting and using what ever you prefer.

HayesGreener

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    We have a feral hog infestation that cause a lot of damage on our property. I have killed hogs with a variety of calibers, .444 Marlin, .308, 5.56, .22WRM, .44 magnum, 45ACP, and 10mm. It's all about shot placement. 5.56/.223 in an AR is plenty gun in rifle calibers in my opinion and offers fast recovery for follow on shots if you are shooting into a sounder. Please kill as many as possible!

Lounge71

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Use an AR in 7.62x39 . 275lbs hog never had to chase her down. That 300 win mag is going to be going super fast and taking some meat with it. Probably overkill if there is such a thing.lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200429-123836.png
      Screenshot_20200429-123836.png
      570.9 KB · Views: 175

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    i had an old ruger m77 in .257 Roberts or "Bob". smacked pigs, whitetails, and even a turkey once with it. its a medium power range round with a seriously long history of killing stuff. buddy shot a nearly 400lb porker in Texas with one, and i got a smaller bull Elk in Idaho years ago. worked just fine on piggies down in south FLtoo.

DangDang

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I think the very first question should be is he hunting public land? Because wild hogs are considered “small game” and can be hunted during that season but NOT with a centerfire rifle (except during general gun season.) If so, now a 22 lr, 22 mag, 17 HMR, or 17 WSM might be the only rifle option.

Top Bottom