• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    In another thread there was talk of a gentleman looking for a shotgun for turkey hunting. I asked him why a shotgun.
    Then others jumped in with (I am assuming) turkey hunting in southern states ( including Ala) must be with shotgun only. Just to be more precise - -> killing turkey in the southern states (including Ala) may only be done using a shotgun.
    My point,my question is this - -> can you hunt and kill a turkey in Florida and Ala using a centerfire pistol ?? Any other southern state ??
    Just wondering because I did this for years using a Ruger Super Blackhawk. I used 44Spec brass loaded with a 265gr Hornady at 700fps.
    Waited until their head was down feeding and took them high across the back. The bullet did not expand,killed them clean,and ruined none of the breast meat.
    Was I hunting illegally all those years ?? If so,I promise never to set foot in Academy ever again. ---- SAWMAN

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I figured you would Google this yourself Herman, but here we are...
    From FWC website. Keep in mind this is for private land only, and regulations vary depending on what WMA you are on...

That being said, if you're not shooting them in the face with a shotgun, can you really call yourself a turkey hunter?
    d7b97c4f102eaaec6018475497c2daaf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    StateIs It Legal to Use a Rifle?
    AlabamaNo
    AlaskaN/A
    ArizonaNo
    ArkansasNo
    CaliforniaAir Rifle
    ColoradoYes
    ConnecticutNo
    DelawareNo
    FloridaYes
    GeorgiaAir Rifle
    HawaiiNo
    IdahoNo
    IllinoisNo
    IndianaNo
    IowaNo
    KansasNo
    KentuckyNo
    LouisianaNo
    MaineNo
    MarylandYes
    MassachusettsNo
    MichiganNo
    MinnesotaNo
    MississippiNo
    MissouriYes
    MontanaYes
    NebraskaNo
    NevadaNo
    New HampshireNo
    New JerseyNo
    New MexicoNo
    New YorkNo
    North CarolinaNo
    North DakotaNo
    OhioNo
    OklahomaYes
    OregonNo
    PennsylvaniaNo
    Rhode IslandNo
    South CarolinaNo
    South DakotaNo
    TennesseeNo
    TexasNo
    UtahYes
    VermontNo
    VirginiaYes
    WashingtonNo
    West VirginiaYes
    WisconsinNo
    WyomingYes

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    You guys are (for some "strange" reason) missing the point.
    PLEASE stay with me here. - -> #1. Do you have to use a shotgun ONLY for turkey hunting in Ala or Fla ??
    #2. Can you hunt/kill turkey in the states of Ala or Fla with a centerfire pistol ?? To me . . . Nothing complecated. Should have nothing read into it. Should really not matter WHO is asking the question. This should be a discussion for members to ACTUALLY learn something. INCLUDING MYSELF.
    As for using shotguns for turkey - -> How many shotgun hunters ACTUALLY shoot head/high neck shots ONLY ?? How many turkey hunters DO NOT USE A SINGLE SHOT SHOTGUN ?? Why do they need multiple quick shots ?? Because if you miss that head/neck shot the turkey will just stand there and look at you so you can shoot again ?? Uh huh . . . yeah right !! So you could possibly shoot another turkey in the flock,that is just standing there looking at you after the first shot ??
    How many turkey hunters have,or eagerly will,shoot a turkey in the air ?? How many of you supposedly "face" shooters have ever dressed a turkey to find shot in other than the head/neck ?? Common guys,that's why you carry the long barreled SBE's and pump guns right.
    If while calling a turkey,they hang up at 50+ yards,do you "face shooters" take the shot ?? Do you hit them in the head/neck area ?? Even using them specialized tubes,what is the size and density of your pattern at 50+ yds ??
    Inquireing minds like mine are just trying to learn something from you seasoned and highly expieranced turkey hunters. You law book readers and quoters.
    I will most likely never change ya'lls mind about how your grandfather hunted turkey. In all actuality,our grandfathers most likely shot them off the roost with a 22 rifle. But try to see past what you think. Read the laws as written. I try to do just that. And at this point I would really hate to learn that I have been breaking the laws all these years.
    But hey,I am a humble man. If I was/am wrong about all this,I will gladly admit it to the forum members,and move on.
    Something else to ponder - - -> Is it legal to hunt hogs,on management land (WMA),with a centerfire pistol,during the small game season ??
    A wonderful day to all of you. ---- SAWMAN

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Why do I feel like this is not really about Turkey hunting and more about a "see I told you" post...

Y'all have fun bickering with Herman and not killing turkeys.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I did some research and listed the states above. Only 12 allow it.

So -

Florida yes (but considered unethical to many turkey hunters according to FWC Q&A)

Alabama - no

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Not to drift off too much, but it's supposed to be illegal to shoot 'em off the roost, right? So, does it still count if you happen to walk up on a flock of turkeys say noon'ish, and they fly and lit in a tree 50yds away?
    Can you still shoot him off the limb legally?
    It's not like he's on the "roost", but there avoiding danger. I read a roost is where a bird rests or sleeps. So technically, that turkey isn't resting on that limb, IF it was flushed and lit on the limb to avoid the danger that caused it to flush.

Legal or Not?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    John and his buds - -> this is about alot more than "see I told you so". It is about learning right from wrong. You are clearly on the defensive.
    You have chose to make it personal. I hope that by your actions this thread does not get closed down by the powers that be. I suspect it will though.
    You have shown how you conduct your everyday life. At least to me. Continue turkey hunting as you see fit. I figured that you would not want to answer any of my above questions. And I can understand why. Kinda (?)
    I choose to both teach and learn. You choose to brake the forum rules and refuse to learn. That is most likely because you learned it all before you were 18 or so.
    Me - -> I am still learning. I hope that I still am until the day I die. I hope that like some,I will never be to arrogant to learn. If I am wrong about any of my above,please let me know. I will correct myself and attemt to teach others in the "right way" to hunt turkey and other game.
    Until then . . . I respectfully stand by my above statements ref. hunting game animals and birds. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    As I understand it "the roost" is off the ground except flying.
    I surely will default to the more expieranced turkey hunters among us. --- SAWMAN

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    John and his buds - -> this is about alot more than "see I told you so". It is about learning right from wrong. You are clearly on the defensive.
    You have chose to make it personal. I hope that by your actions this thread does not get closed down by the powers that be. I suspect it will though.
    You have shown how you conduct your everyday life. At least to me. Continue turkey hunting as you see fit. I figured that you would not want to answer any of my above questions. And I can understand why. Kinda (?)
    I choose to both teach and learn. You choose to brake the forum rules and refuse to learn. That is most likely because you learned it all before you were 18 or so.
    Me - -> I am still learning. I hope that I still am until the day I die. I hope that like some,I will never be to arrogant to learn. If I am wrong about any of my above,please let me know. I will correct myself and attemt to teach others in the "right way" to hunt turkey and other game.
    Until then . . . I respectfully stand by my above statements ref. hunting game animals and birds. --- SAWMAN
    That's pretty rich coming from the guy that shoots them with a pistol.

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    That's pretty rich coming from the guy that shoots them with a pistol.
    Yea, the hypocrisy in that post you quoted I had to wrap my head around a little bit. Gave me a good laugh.

I definitely would not be openly talking about what I do illegally, that is me though.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Since Alabama lists what firearms are legal to take turkey with and pistol isn’t listed I would say it’s illegal or at a minimum not worth the hassle trying to explain why I think it’s legal to a game warden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sorry for your discomfort John.
    But - -> is shooting them as described above, legal,sportsman like,fun,challengeing ?? Do I have to pick thru the entire bird digging out pellets like you do. NOPE,not me.
    I most likely have not killed as many as most. Clean missed a few. But never lost one that I hit or had to hit him more than once like the auto shotgun guys.
    Just my preferred way of hunting.
    But now I am intrigued. Please explain to me why to be a REAL turkey hunter you MUST spray 'em down with your SBE or other gun throwing 600-800 pellets per shot. Thanks. ---- SAWMAN

Top Bottom