• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Just shoot their heads off with your 6.8 while sitting in the stand deer hunting, you are sighted in right? I have no idea what the laws are on non Private land as I don't go there for my own safety.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Just shoot their heads off with your 6.8 while sitting in the stand deer hunting, you are sighted in right? I have no idea what the laws are on non Private land as I don't go there for my own safety.

Brings up another item - can you shoot turkeys from an elevated stand?

Some states don’t allow it...

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have no clue as I am on private land in FL only, way too much to know just there. You guys hunting multiple states and public land knowing all the differences are too smart for me.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    We can split hairs over what's legal or isn't, ethical, whatever... pretty clear we aren't going to agree regardless. Do whatever makes you happy, but shooting a turkey with a rifle or pistol is about like shooting a deer on a greenfield or corn feeder.... it's not hunting.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The irony animals are property of the government, state or federal, until you hit one with a vehicle. And then it's on you to fix the vehicle and you have a carcass you can't even take.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    The irony animals are property of the government, state or federal, until you hit one with a vehicle. And then it's on you to fix the vehicle and you have a carcass you can't even take.

very ironic considering if you hit a cow - the owner of the cow is responsible.

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I guess that's the difference between fenced in livestock and free-range game animals.

Or in general the government won't be responsible. Probably that.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    We can split hairs over what's legal or isn't, ethical, whatever... pretty clear we aren't going to agree regardless. Do whatever makes you happy, but shooting a turkey with a rifle or pistol is about like shooting a deer on a greenfield or corn feeder.... it's not hunting.

Why John? it is harder to hit a turkey with a rifle or handgun than a scatter gun in sheer physics,I think your comment was opposite, a shotgun makes it much easier

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Why John? it is harder to hit a turkey with a rifle or handgun than a scatter gun in sheer physics,I think your comment was opposite, a shotgun makes it much easier
    All I know is it's a lot easier to kill a turkey with a rifle/pistol outside of 40 yards than it is with a shotgun. Again, if shooting one with a rifle is your cup of tea, by all means, go for it... but it's not turkey hunting.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    IF you kill a turkey it was turkey hunting/killing. I do get your point, like some oldtimers that say it is not hunting if you are using AN AR instead of bolt gun argument. Heck they just walk by my stand at 15-25' while I am in it and all I do is watch the turkeys, never took one at my lease.

BowChamp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    In another thread there was talk of a gentleman looking for a shotgun for turkey hunting. I asked him why a shotgun.
    Then others jumped in with (I am assuming) turkey hunting in southern states ( including Ala) must be with shotgun only. Just to be more precise - -> killing turkey in the southern states (including Ala) may only be done using a shotgun.
    My point,my question is this - -> can you hunt and kill a turkey in Florida and Ala using a centerfire pistol ?? Any other southern state ??
    Just wondering because I did this for years using a Ruger Super Blackhawk. I used 44Spec brass loaded with a 265gr Hornady at 700fps.
    Waited until their head was down feeding and took them high across the back. The bullet did not expand,killed them clean,and ruined none of the breast meat.
    Was I hunting illegally all those years ?? If so,I promise never to set foot in Academy ever again. ---- SAWMAN

It's not illegal unless you get caught........right???? :oops:

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I call it Supper regardless if I shot it with a shotgun, rifle, bow or x-bow (never tried a pistol). As for Ethical, I see ethical as a clean "ethical" kill. Now mind you in my older days, I like to shoot a single shot rifle to hunt with. Ain't lost nothing I've shot with it. It tends to make you "wait" on that "it's a kill" shot, knowing you have only one shot.
    I gave up on trying turkeys with a bow. Timing has to be right to severe the neck, and I had too many misses as they kept ducking the guillotines. So I got a 400fps x-bow. Jokers ducked it too (40-50yds). Went back to shotgun and rifle.

lettheairout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well. I my self, won't shoot a turkey with a rifle. That being said. Only time its even thinkable to kill a hen is during archery season. Spring turkey season is when you turkey hunt. Scout them. Roost them, then hunt them. I shoot them in the head and neck area, no I have not had to pick any shot out of the breast. Since I pattern my gun to get the best pattern possible I have no issue shooting 1 at 50 plus yards. Yes I use my fancy pump shotgun, yes I have actually got a 2nd shot on a bird that just stood there. Plus shooting coyotes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I tried several shotguns, pump, auto magic chokes, magic shells.... At the end was great grandpa's single and lots of dead birds the old school way. 2 3/4. #6, my modern ways I use fancy #6 pheasant load. It shoots buckshot great too, lots of dead deer with this one, not by me though.

Southalabama

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nice bird.

Lead or the new TSS??

Top Bottom