• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would sure look into it if I were looking for a lease. Sounds good to me and hogs move around alot. You can tell alot when you see those people face to face and that won't cost you a dime. See how many deer they will let you shoot as the limit is 10 does and 2 bucks in Ga if you are a res. Don't know about non res and I'm not sure about how they do the bear.

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Now that is a good thing. hogs? I saw some pics but you want an area they are in. It will take alot to figure out where you want to hunt as you have never been there, maybe they will help. I like areas where no one else is or is closeto.
    I am going on Saturday to have the guy that runs it take me around to show me what's up. He seemed very friendly and said he will help any way he can because he knows I'm a noob. Seemed very friendly on the phone but we will see face to face. He made made it sound like there are a bunch of hogs and there are 2 "special" areas that hold a bunch. Told me I can do anything I'd like to with that area of land..

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Hey that is what it takes, a connection, a desire to help, this might work out great for you...How far from your home? What does the non resident all game license cost?

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Only 46 minutes from my front door. Not bad at all I drive farther to fish. Lease is $850 a year and license is $195 non resident

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Don't forget the corn fee and ask about any other charges. I spend as much or more for everything else as the lease costs me every year, that is just the entry fee...lol

That is close, good for you!

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oh there are no other hidden fees. Just the entry fee and you can bring whatever corn you need for your section. It is $850 total and my wife can come with me. I can bring guests but that will cost them 3 bags of corn per day. He said I can get away with a couple cheap 5 gallon bucket feeders and just hook tie em up to a couple pines. Dig a couple post holes and wrap a oil soaked piece of carpet around them and I should be good to go.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Some Ace, some Walmart, but the best place is at a feed and seed store or in bulk at a Co-op. Then there are trail cams and whatever stands you are going to hunt out of. Wait till you meet the guy, he should know all the places to get things and people w stand/feeders for sale. I get my trail cams at Walmart due to their return policy, watch small towns you go thru for feed stores, ask the gas station people.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oh there are no other hidden fees. Just the entry fee and you can bring whatever corn you need for your section. It is $850 total and my wife can come with me. I can bring guests but that will cost them 3 bags of corn per day. He said I can get away with a couple cheap 5 gallon bucket feeders and just hook tie em up to a couple pines. Dig a couple post holes and wrap a oil soaked piece of carpet around them and I should be good to go.

I was just going by their website fee schedule. See he knows what works for them up there and maybe how to keep the bears away till season for them. Roll barrels are great too for the hogs

The purpose is to get hog to hang longer at certain areas on the lease and keep occupied.

I have a slinger/timed feeder at each plot or area I have a stand, then associate a roll barrel and a rubbing post close by all target able from the shooting tower. Just make sure it is far enough away not to get tangled on the legs.

I use heavy chain or wire rope to connect the barrels to a ground anchor (long ones w the plate at the bottom)or 2 cinder blocks. I have 2 size barrels I like the free ones are from a car wash (held soap) and were free, the others are 55 gallon plastic barrels with screw on tops $22. Only dry corn, corn on the cob dry or dry dog food or all 3 are the bait. 40-50-75 pounds, what ever you can afford.

OK, everything is extra heavy duty, they will break things and your barrel will be 100yds or more away from where you put it. Get your barrel and install a hard point, on the large barrels I do this on the opposite end from the top, use a eyebolt with a washer on the outside and inside and double nut and use loctite. I start with 2 or 3 9/16 holes(cause I am cheap) drilled into the barrel high low and middle opposite sides.

Hardware: Heavy duty, hogs break things! Every time you transition from the eyebolt to the chain to the cinder block install swivels. I use 7-10' lengths of chain or wire rope, the area needs to be flat and clear of things that can tangle it, so you can play w how long you want this. Oh my small barrels the have a handle I knock out then use a clevis bolt to replace for the hard point. If you sue snaps or clips use the kind that pull out not push in, typically I wrap w duck tape and the hog can and will open these.

I have cam pics of hogs beating these to death for hours, the laying down beside them to rest and going after it again. If the holes are too many or too large they will empty a barrel overnight so experiment with them, the 9/16 and 2 holes is good, 3 gives a little more corn. 2 holes and they are good for a week or 2 and if you put dry cob corn it lasts even longer. The dog food should be the large kibbles and as stinky as possible. When you are first starting toss some corn around the barrel to get them started, they learn quickly.

Attachments

• PICT0381.JPG
      PICT0381.JPG
      41.9 KB · Views: 99
    • PICT0384.JPG
      PICT0384.JPG
      64.7 KB · Views: 92
    • PICT0386.JPG
      PICT0386.JPG
      92.4 KB · Views: 94
    • PICT0385.JPG
      PICT0385.JPG
      92.4 KB · Views: 95

PensacolaEd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Fupa, I grew up not too far from you (Schenectady), and have a couple of good friends from Herkimer. One of my good friends' Dad was the School Superintendent for Herkimer School District. There are a lot of good deer up in that area, I killed several near Oneonta as a kid. I wish you luck in your return to hunting.

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wow Ed small world. Usually the only time anyone has heard of Herkimer was because of Herkimer Diamonds. What were your friends names? Pretty small place so I might know them. What years was he superintendent? Feel free to PM me if you'd like

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dang Frank thanks for that write up! I will be hitting the local car washes this weekend to see about the barrels. Do you ever use a post hole digger to make holes to fill with the sour corn? When I get done with my little piece of land it's gonna look like a frigging hog playground/buffet. Is there such thing as "too much" ? I'm just thinking of ways to keep them in my area for as long as possible..

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I used to dig holes and put corn in but I ended up having 6'deep and 10' wide holes and the piglets were having a hard time getting out...so I stopped. I only put bait where I can target it from a specific location I can get to and hunt w/o walking thru the hunting ground. Too many and as you are sitting at one and they go to another so i HAVE 3 MAIN AREAS.

I carry a Glock 19 w 147gr rangers as a sidearm. The advantage of carrying a 10mm Glock w a hunting barrel and reflex sight and possibly a laser is it can double as an effecting hunting gun too.

Once you get your area, send me the pics, get a photobucket account and I will look at them and we can talk on the phone.

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I used to dig holes and put corn in but I ended up having 6'deep and 10' wide holes and the piglets were having a hard time getting out...so I stopped. I only put bait where I can target it from a specific location I can get to and hunt w/o walking thru the hunting ground. Too many and as you are sitting at one and they go to another so i HAVE 3 MAIN AREAS.

I carry a Glock 19 w 147gr rangers as a sidearm. The advantage of carrying a 10mm Glock w a hunting barrel and reflex sight and possibly a laser is it can double as an effecting hunting gun too.

Once you get your area, send me the pics, get a photobucket account and I will look at them and we can talk on the phone.
    Sounds good bud I appreciate all of your help. Im getting real excited I hope this place Im going to look at isn't a bust. I will let you know

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Only 46 minutes from my front door. Not bad at all I drive farther to fish. Lease is $850 a year and license is $195 non resident

I hunt Georgia every year. To hunt deer you need both a non resident hunting license at $100 AND a big game license at $195. $295 total. Since it is good for a year from purchase, one year I buy my license in November and hunt then. The next year I hunt when the season opens in October (this year it starts Oct 18th for firearms) using the same license since it's good through the end of October. Saves me half each year. You do need a new deer harvest record each year, but it's free and can be printed online. I hunt on my brother's farm, so it works out for me...your situation may be different. The online posted regulations don't exactly make it super clear what you need, but believe me, you need both + the free deer harvest record...don't move the dead deer w/o filing out the harvest record.

"Non-Resident Hunting & Fishing License is required for all non-resident hunters, except non-resident small game hunters under 16. Additionally, non-resident big game hunters (deer, turkey, or bear) 16 years of age and older must possess a valid Big Game License. When hunting big game, non-residents under age 16 must possess a valid non-resident Hunting License, but are exempt from the Big Game License requirement. All non-resident deer hunters must possess a deer harvest record regardless of age."

Edited to correct license costs and found section dealing with having both licenses to hunt deer.

Last edited:

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah I know but honestly I have no urge to shoot one. I'd rather save them for someone who enjoys it more than me. But then I gotta get my moneys worth. Who knows, that may change if I see one in my cross hairs :D

Last edited:
    Top Bottom