• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't flame me too bad here ya dicks, but I'm thinking of getting back into hunting and have no clue where to begin.

First off, I've never hunted since I have lived in Florida (almost 13 years now) and within the past year or two I've been getting the itch. I grew up in Upstate NY hunting some monster whitetail, but honestly don't care if I ever shoot another deer. My grandfather had a bunch of land up North so I never had to worry about a place to hunt. Never hunted on a lease or public land for that matter, never needed to. I'd like to go after some hogs (never shot one). I see a bunch of ads on Craigslist that advertise "Hog Leases" in North FL/South GA for around $1000-$1500 per year. Does that seem reasonable? Are there any questions I should be asking these guys if I inquire about one of them? What are the other start up costs for gettin some piggies? I'd really like to get back into the sport but after a couple months of research, my head is friggin spinning and I'm wondering if its even worth it. Really sucks not knowing someone with some land :canada:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well there are some good hog hunting around you in FL, Ga requires an out of state license and FL for hogs requires no license on a private lease, but does require a permit for public land.

You need a gun I personally prefer the 6.8 AR but a good carbine or lever gun 44mag or better will do. game cams help, snake boots, a pack to carry your stuff and a list of public or Military land and their rule books.

$1000 for a year round lease is affordable, we charge $700 an area. Game cams, feeders, something to shoot out of or a ground blind. I want pics of the area and game cam pics of game, they might give you a break for hog only hunting on a deer lease. Many deer leases restrict hog hunting during deer season.

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Really would be nice to go out a few times w an experienced hog hunter, put an ad on Craigslist you would like to do that.
    I've tried that, maybe I should try again. Maybe offer to buy some corn or something? What would you recommend I offer that may entice someone to take a noob?

Also, when I ask for pics of the land what exactly am I looking for??

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yes always take something, that is just courtesy a couple bags of corn, provide the ice and share the kill with your host..at least offer but I would take the corn anyway.

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just curious, but where in NY State did you hunt?
    About 10 miles east of Utica NY in Herkimer County. Almost exactly halfway between Albany and Syracuse off of the NYS Thruway. My grandfather owned a bunch of land in Mohawk NY and I also hunted in Fly Creek some at my Dad's buddy's farm. Some big deer up that way... you from up there?

sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I grew up in Mt. Upton. Chenango County, halfway between Binghamton and Syracuse, on Route 8. There sure are a lot of big deer up there.

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I grew up in Mt. Upton. Chenango County, halfway between Binghamton and Syracuse, on Route 8. There sure are a lot of big deer up there.
    I know right where that is. Not too far from Oneonta right?

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I drove the NY Thru way once about 6 years ago. Saw more dead deer roadkill in 15 miles than I think there is in all of Flawda.
    Yeah they are all over the place. Not sure if the laws up there changed in the past few years or not but you were only allowed 1 buck a year and had to enter a lottery for a doe tag. Those big boys will do some damage to a vehicle let me tell ya. I'm gonna try to dig up some pics of the damage a big doe did to my 82 trans am

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well I think I may have found a lease. I am going out on Saturday to check it out. Is there anything I should be looking for or asking, Frank??

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yikes, so much. Private areas, community areas, anything provided like shooting houses, feeders. Rules, 6 pt or better? Turkey and hog? yotes? pics of game cameras recent. Added fees like plots or is it included. Anyone have a tractor on the lease to help you cut areas? Size of tptal hunting area and yours w boundaries. Club restrictions, all names and numbers. Generally I can hear the rules and meet the guys or some of them and know if I want to join or not.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    yeah not really my kind of club but could be good to meet people and get to know the area. Take a GA non resident license, never says if there are private areas or all are on a first come first serve community sign in. Look like they fill the feeders and you can supplement, I don't know GA laws. Lots of acres and lots of members with 1 boss...ask for and take their help and advice.

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oh and they said you can bring feeders and oil rubs (?) . You can put your name on a certain area and nobody else can hunt your area. You can also hunt the other areas that no members have their names on

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I don't like things quite that organized and after 17 years they will not change anything...you just do what they say and that is it. Does not sound like any areas are private(I could be wrong).. OF course it could be easier if you are further away, go hunt they do the rest and work days, no responsibilities...may be a Godsend! And then I could be all wrong and you have a private area and can do what you want...but as one of the last on it this year you would get what everyone already passed on. Just will not know till you go out and get to know them, find out the rules and scout.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oh and they said you can bring feeders and oil rubs (?) . You can put your name on a certain area and nobody else can hunt your area. You can also hunt the other areas that no members have their names on

Now that is a good thing. hogs? I saw some pics but you want an area they are in. It will take alot to figure out where you want to hunt as you have never been there, maybe they will help. I like areas where no one else is or is closeto.

Top Bottom