• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    The largest tank and also largest gun fitted to a tank
    The vehicle itself originated in the late 1940s. The British Army realized they needed to reliably destroy new Soviet heavy tanks such as the IS-3 and its potential successors well beyond the range that they could return fire, but they had no gun that could hope to do this. They began a project to develop one.
    The intention was to mount the resulting weapon on a new, purpose designed vehicle, the Heavy Gun Tank Number 2, or FV215 (some sources call it Heavy Anti Tank Gun SP No.2). There were concerns that the nascent Cold War could turn hot before it was ready in numbers, so a stop gap solution was also to be developed using the in-production Centurion tank hull. This was named Heavy Gun Tank Number 1, or FV4005.

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    The entire operation with all of the lifting and lowering into place looked as dangerous as heck.
    I'm proud to still have all 10 digits and both eyes, but I know quite a few people that have lost fingers, 2 that were lucky enough to have them reattached!

sloporsche

Master
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    and wasn't the german "mouse" the biggest at almost 100 tons , the US turtle with dual tracks came in stupid heavy too , US abrams model with all the add ons goes over 70 tons now days and they haven't even started up armoring for over head drone attacks yet...theres another 5 tons i bet and 100 million at least dollars for the kits

FrommerStop

Master
    not if you have experience on them iirc that shop has restored quite a few AFV friend and foe
    I have enough experience to know when something like that is very risky. The first time you work on something new, there are things that are often special about that you do not know until after you have worked with it.
    The more you do things like that, the more likely that you will get hurt, especially if you are lower than what is being picked up or being put down.

Top Bottom