• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Viking1204

Master
    My biggest fear while bush hogging is running over yellow jackets. I'm also not wanting to find out what it feels like to get hit by one of the big red wasps that inhabit our shooting houses in the Alabama woods, those things are at least twice the size of a normal wasp and I bet they hurt!

RackinRay

Master
    Those big red wasp do pack a nasty sting. Been stung by them at least twice, and man it burns!

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    I have not been hit by a red wasp since I was a kid but I promise they hurt like a sumbitch. What scares me is we get daily visits on the back porch by one or more hornets. I just freeze until it leaves. I'm afraid I'll find the nest someday by accident.

MarkS

Master
    Back in the day I have been known to come off the tractor when the Yellow Jackets were nailing me all over
    I would always throw it out of gear as I was jumping off but I've been hit way to many times while clearing land
    The worst times were when I hit a nest with a dozier when pushing up a stump or knocking a tree down as you can't just bail off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seanpcola

I got hit one time right on the wrist as I was reaching under the hood of a junk car I was stripping. That was in Crestview. Hurt like hell as usual but I blew it off and kept working. By the time I got back to Pensacola my hand and wrist was so swollen that my watch was cutting into me. I couldn't get it off. Went the ER and the doctor sliced it off, nailed me with a shot and I crashed for 24 hours. That was when I was about 18.

SAWMAN

Master
    Hell ....... as old and feeble as you are now ..... it would kill you on the spot.

"Bee" carefull. --- SAWMAN

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    All this talk about wasps and such has got me thinking of a yellow jacket story. It's part of a longer story, so I'll probably make a new thread. Right now I'm 2 pages in and only about halfway through the story. Should be able to finish it tomorrow.

Rapier

Marksman
    A piece of advice, do not accientally or otherwise mash a Cow Killer hidden behind a leaf with the back of your hand. That orange SOB will leave you with a memorye, you will never forget for the rest your entire life.
    How bad is it, ever thought seriously about cutting off your finger with a hatchet.......
    Ed

Seanpcola

Hell ....... as old and feeble as you are now ..... it would kill you on the spot.

"Bee" carefull. --- SAWMAN

Forgot to mention. I saved that snake for later. I want to show it to Sawman so I guess I'll just dump it in his truck one day while he's eating breakfast.

Famine

Master
    Obi1 - my boys did that to me.... we were on a dove shoot in Greenville, Al. One of them shot a rattlesnake and put it on the floorboard driver side of my truck and patiently waited for me to get in after the hunt. My reaction when I did was less than they hoped for but I guarantee you my heart skipped a beat or 10...
    Cow Killer - velvet wasp - bad news bear...put one in a match box once and watched him try to sting it - huge stinger...

Attachments

• cow Killer.jpg
      cow Killer.jpg
      6.3 KB · Views: 123
    Last edited:

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    I see a few of them around the house every year.

Rapier

Marksman
    They say if the Cow Killer stings a cow, the cow will run, trying to get away from the pain, run until it runs itself to death. The sting leaves a raised white welt the size of a quarter with a red hole in the center the size of a #2 pencil lead. When stung in the finger the hole looks like it hoes to the bone. If stung in the hand, at first it feels like a thorn stuck into you but in about 15 seconds it feels like your hand is on fire and the pain escalates on up the pain chain from there, to a point you actually think about cutting off your finger, to stop that pain progression. I had to go sit down, broke into a cold sweat. Nothing in nature touches them, no birds, nothing. They go all alone around here, across the ground, and not one thing bothers them. They are in a class all by themselves and give a whole new meaning to a real bad ass. We peoples are just lucky they do not fly and are not agressive, can't imagine being stung by two or more at once.
    Ed

Viking1204

Master
    Those Cow Killer remind me of the Bullet Ant I've seen on TV, people that get stung by them say it's one of the worse stings they've ever felt. Glad we don't have them here!

BTW, 1.5" of rain at my house last night, storms rolled in at 3:20 am. Looks like more rain through the morning, we've needed rain in our area.

Seanpcola

And the concrete guy was supposed to be here at 7 this morning to start on my slab. Been trying to get this project rolling for 3 months. I finally get everything in place and then finally the rain shows up........:yell:

shootnstarz

Master
    39 degrees when I left Bowling Green last Sunday morning after several days of really cool temps, now I get soaked in a few minutes of outside work and it's not even 90 yet.
    Not looking forward to summer.

RH

shootnstarz

Master
    The one and only 1983 Corvette ever in existence, and one of the sinkhole victims.

RH

Attachments

• MR4 072.JPG
      MR4 072.JPG
      501 KB · Views: 147
    • MR4 074.JPG
      MR4 074.JPG
      648.3 KB · Views: 149
    • MR4 073.JPG
      MR4 073.JPG
      657.9 KB · Views: 145
    Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Red velvet ant/cow killer is a wasp. Only the males have wings and only the females sting. Ground roops are bad enough, glad they don't have an armed airforce. Lol.

I was Six and followed a group of older kids into the woods. They stood on and crossed a deadfall tree and disturbed a hive. All hell broke loose and I got trampled. I woke up six days later with 130 sting they could count. Between the swelling and stiffness I couldn't move for another two weeks. If it don't kill you.......

Last edited:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter

Members online

Top Bottom