• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rapier

Marksman
    Worst fish kill I have seen since 1969 when I first came here.
    Ed

Seanpcola

There used to be a small clay pit off Scenic Hwy. near the airport back when we had woods and no subdivisions. I rode MX back there every weekend in my teen years. The clay pit was fun, I'd come blasting down one side WOT across the bottom, up the other side and get some excellent air time. Did it so often it never occured to me to look before I lept.

One year we had a huge fish kill in the bay. Unbeknownst to me the county scooped up tons of fish and dumped them in the pit. So, one Saturday morning I come blasting down the hill and ahead of me is thousands of rotten fish in a huge pile and I had nowhere to go. Being the brilliant rider I was I laid down hard on the brakes just as I hit the pile. Slicker than batshit on a glass door knob and down I went, sliding through the muck, guts, fish heads and scales. When I stopped, I attempted to jump up but down again I went. It took a long time to get me and the bike out of that mess. Of course the whole time I'm cooking rotten seafood on the engine and especially the expansion chamber.

All I could think of was to crank it up and get home fast and get the yuk off me. I blasted home, even passed a deputy sheriff on the way on a totally illegal bike. My dad, who's in the driveway washing his car, sees me coming up the street looking like a scene from The Walking Dead and freaks out. He stops me on street in front of the driveway and starts trying to figure out what's wrong, am I hurt or what? Before I can explain fully the smell hits him, which shut him up. After he got the whole picture he told me to NOT move. He went in the house, got garbage bags and rags and a big towel. He gave me bath #1, fully clothed (I was wearing riding pants and a T shirt) in the street, along with my bike. He washed the effluence down the street and into the curb drain. Bath #2 was given in the garage, on a tarp and done more like a sponge bath. I removed my leathers, gloves and boots in that round. I was then allowed to wrap up in the dog's bath towel, proceed into the house and straight to the bathroom, not touching anything on the way, where I completely drained the water heater and scoured my body until I was a hot pink color all over. When I finished and got dressed, in old clothes, I was instructed to march out front and scrub my bike, every nook, cranny, spoke, cylinder head fin and cable until it passed approval by dad. The expansion chamber never passed and required removal, vigorous scrubbing with a Brillo pad and a fresh coat of heat paint BEFORE it was allowed into the garage.

My leathers were sealed, along with the tarp and two towels, in a lawn and leaf bag and placed in a garbage can. The boots, helmet and gloves were saved.

Taught me to look before I leap though.

Fletch

Master
    That's terrible Sean. Our beloved dog popped and then rolled all in a bloated sailcat that had washed up in the yard and baked in the sun all day and I thought I was just going to have to shoot and bury her the smell was so bad. Worst thing I've ever smelled by far and you were knee deep in a pit of it. I can't imagine anything worse to land in than a pile of sun baked rotten fish.

Seanpcola

I think my dad considered shooting and burying me that day. Yes, it was horrible when it happened and I'm surprised I never puked during the whole thing but looking back 40 years it's hilarious and dad brings it up at least once a year. He especially loved to tell it to the girls I dated.

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Just saw a fancy commercial with George Clooney and Danny DeVito hawking a "Nespresso" espresso machine (Christmas advertising already starting). I don't currently need or want an espresso machine but for some reason should I decide to get one, I now know which brand I won't be buying.

Ryan

Master
    my dream sheet for transfer is in.. out of the 15 places 9 are CA...so I looked up used gun sales on calguns.. a used G43 goes for $950...holy shit!

Khaot1c

Marksman
    I got my tour I'm California out of the way quick. A little shit hole named Castle AFB. It's closed now. Only good thing about it was its proximity to Yosemite National Park

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Ryan

Master
    I'm from Fresno so I used to snowboard/hike Yosemite all the time and miss it. All the places for me are boats out of Alameda. With the way the CG is and being cheap as hell along with 5 year tours for my job once I land in CA i'd never get out... praying for the Charleston, SC picks that I have listed before that lol.

Khaot1c

Marksman
    There was a lake in the hills between Merced and Fresno that had awesome bass fishing. And a large diamondback population

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Seanpcola

I'm from Fresno so I used to snowboard/hike Yosemite all the time and miss it. All the places for me are boats out of Alameda. With the way the CG is and being cheap as hell along with 5 year tours for my job once I land in CA i'd never get out... praying for the Charleston, SC picks that I have listed before that lol.

My step daughter is in the AF in Charleston. She's decided to stay and bought a house. She loves it.

Viking1204

Master
    Just a day and a half of work left and I'll be heading up to the hunting camp to make the final preparations for the opening of rifle season Nov. 21. Time to evict the rodents, spiders and wasps out of the shooting houses! It should be fun as always, you never know what's going to come running out at you the first time you open that hatch door!

I'll tell you what this weather sucks, doesn't feel like hunting season is just around the corner. Needs to cool down.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Just a day and a half of work left and I'll be heading up to the hunting camp to make the final preparations for the opening of rifle season Nov. 21. Time to evict the rodents, spiders and wasps out of the shooting houses! It should be fun as always, you never know what's going to come running out at you the first time you open that hatch door!

I'll tell you what this weather sucks, doesn't feel like hunting season is just around the corner. Needs to cool down.

Watch out for bats, yellow jackets, scorpions and dead vultures as well!

I once saw a former marine, who isn't scared of anything, fly out of a shooting house like he was kicked out of an old west saloon. Luckily the house was only about 3ft off the ground, but he came out all sorts of tangled up with a folding chair. The reason? He was sweeping out a shooting house and a bat hit him right in the face. Being that I've seen this guy stomp on the head of 5ft long rattlesnake without blinking an eye, I laughed until I almost cried when I finally figured out what happened.

That was at the beginning of a day from hell trying to get ready for hunting season. I've got a few other stories from that day. We ended up calling it a day at 1pm because of all the crap we had already dealt with up until that point.

Last edited:

Famine

Master
    I know they are rodents but it is always exciting to open a shooting house only to come face to face a flying squirrel unexpectedly or one of many of our local raptors that may have taken up lodging when an open window or door provides access.

Viking1204

Master
    The Wasps and Spiders aren't normally an issue when the weather is cooler but the low Saturday is 67 with a high of 77 and good chances of rain. I guess we'll start Saturday and finish the rest Sunday morning if we don't get it all done. Sunday morning will be nicer, a low of 56 with a high of 62. Recently squirrels have taken up residence in some of the shooting houses but so far no snakes, knock on wood!

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Think I need to clean out my fridge more often. Some time ago I had sandwich bagged-up a half an onion and tossed it in the back of the crisper. Today I found it.

I'm leeek-ing!
    1zwk9bn.jpg

madeSICC88

Master
    Poured about a whole cup of homemade chili oil on some fried rice tonight... Gonna be a bad morning.

And have you guys ever cold brewed coffee? Did a big pitcher of it a couple days ago and I can't stop drinking it.
    Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom