• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    At 1k with M118LR standard 2650 muzzle velocity since azimuth is the nemesis, what's the difference in spin drift between a 1:10 twist and a 1:11.25 twist? Do Y'all think it makes a difference? Thanks for your Input, opinions, and experience's in advance.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Short answer as I have an early call in the AM is yes. In the late 70's and on Most all of the U S manufactured 308 caliber rifles all came with the do all for all things 1-10 T. EXCEPT for the rifles that were marketed mainly for rifle silhouettes. Remington and Savage offered heavy .80" at the muzzle with a 1-12 T , along with another one I can't remember. Even Springfield put a 1-11 T in their M1A;s
    Up untill about 1995-7 the long range military loads were loaded with a 168 SMK. In 1998 the military along with Lake City, Federal and Sierra came up with a 308 case loaded with 175 SMK at about 2580 FPS and would stay super sonic past 1000 yds.
    I'm sure somewhere the military, Lake City, and a few others have a 1000 + yard enclosed test facility * where they weren't effected with outside elements and tested barrel twists and spin drifts.
    * much like the Houston "Warehouse" of bench rest lore

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thank You, GOOD Info. M80-147, M118SB-173, M852-168SMK (Mexican Match) M118LR-175SMK. Both M80 & M852 go subsonic prior to 1K Yards. M852 (Mexican Match) was used for 300 yard service matches as it proved to be a highly accurate load at that yardage. Question began when shooting partner and I compared come up charts over frothies. Both had 24 inch Heavy Barreled Remington 700's, both shooting M118LR, only difference was barrel twist/rifling. Mine 1:11.25, His 1:10. Difference in spin drift compensation was over two inches at the 1000 yard KD Line.Faster spinning projectile should be better stabilized, yet same projectile from 1:10 required more spin drift compensation. Doesn't make sense? Just wondering what info the folks with the ballistic Palm Pilots get?

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Spin drift:
    11.25T = L 0.2 mil at 1000yd
    10T = L 0.3 mil at 1000yd

Bullet:
    175 SMK @ 2630 fps
    This is one of those things that sounds simple. More spin more spin drift. Yet Mil turrets make it even more misleading. I.E. 0.1 mil at 1000yd is about 3.6 inches, so 0.2 mil would be 7.2 inches while the actual amount of drift of my 1:11.25 is about 9 inches. While 0.3 mil would be 10.8 inches for his actual 11.7 inches of drift. While 1/4 MOA and 1/8 MOA turrets would allow for more accurate compensation during a competition, the amount of knob turning required for open field work makes mil turrets a bit easier on the fingers. JMHO. When it comes to elevation adjustments, the Old Ten Dot Mil-dot reticle won't cover the mils adjustments from a 100 yard zero to a 1000yd POI, so extended substention reticles are probably beneficial afield. Once again, JMHO.

Attachments

• Klien-reticle.jpg
      Klien-reticle.jpg
      52.7 KB · Views: 86
    Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So since it has been determined that max spin drift is 0.3 mils, most rifles are lucky to hold that tolerance at 1000yd, How relevant is spin drift to the shooting equation? Is anybody actually factoring it in to their 1K shooting? Or is it more relevant during left to right wind conditions?

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Depends on your load. The difference is negligible until transonic. 1 mph wind at 1k has a bigger impact than spin drift so some shooter don’t account for it in their calculations. Unless you can call the wind within +/- 1mph tolerance, it’s probably not going to make a big difference. Just from experience shooting my rifles. Not an expert by any means.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Depends on your load. The difference is negligible until transonic. 1 mph wind at 1k has a bigger impact than spin drift so some shooter don’t account for it in their calculations. Unless you can call the wind within +/- 1mph tolerance, it’s probably not going to make a big difference. Just from experience shooting my rifles. Not an expert by any means.
    Since spin drift is going to happen and it's a known value at known distance, by not accounting for it only increases the overall amount of error. Granted 7.2-10.8 inches variations at 1K can be far overshadowed by many other inaccurate variables. But I am under the impression that the math portion of a shooting solutions should be as correct as possible. We all know that Human error far outweighs all other factors. JMHO.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Starts at Post #16

Since every load has different values, I stuck with Standard M118LR which works as a constant for F-Class and Precision Military Shooting. This allowed for easy comparison between 1:10 and 1:11.25 twist rates and the effect on spin drift with apples to apples ammo & rifles. Using projectiles with higher SD, BC, or MV will obviously change the results. The adage that you need to know your load still is viable. JMHO. Since most "Wind Calls" are so dynamic that they tend to be made with Reticle Graduations vice turret adjustments, for photo fun I'll add a few reticle views.

Also the P4L Fine a favorite with Military & F-Class shooters, with a range determination question. Answer is 400 yards using Old Military EYEBALL to Mil-dot resolution. (kind of a SWAG procedure.) LOL. Can anyone explain why the range is 400yards?

Attachments

• steiner-msr-reticle.jpg
      steiner-msr-reticle.jpg
      48.2 KB · Views: 87
    • premier-gen-2-xr-genii-gen-ii-xr-scope-reticle.png
      premier-gen-2-xr-genii-gen-ii-xr-scope-reticle.png
      88.2 KB · Views: 90
    • gen2xrop.png
      gen2xrop.png
      4.2 KB · Views: 86
    • SSHD520X50MQI-R.jpg
      SSHD520X50MQI-R.jpg
      135 KB · Views: 81
    • reticle_view.jpg
      reticle_view.jpg
      19.4 KB · Views: 84
    Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just pondering the 1mph wind calculation? Now a breeze from 90 to 270 degrees (3 -9 on the clock) ether direction is full value. Now a full value wind correction for 3mph @ 1000yds is approximately 15 inches. A half value is approximately 7.5 inches. So 9 inches of spin drift is more than a 3mph half value correction @ 1000yds or a 1mph full value crosswind correction. So about the Mil-dot ranging question, outside of Southeast Asia an assumption is made that a target of this nature is 72 inches (6 foot) tall. Thus 5 Mil-dots would need to equal 72 inches. That would mean that each Mil-dot would need to be 14.4 inches, which is exactly the size of a Mil-dot @ 400 yards. Kind of primitive, but that was the standard Military Training at the time that 173 grain M118SB was the precision load of choice. Lazer range finders, handheld ballistic calculators, and improvements in ammo have greatly aided in accuracy. IMO.

MK17

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    So since it has been determined that max spin drift is 0.3 mils, most rifles are lucky to hold that tolerance at 1000yd, How relevant is spin drift to the shooting equation? Is anybody actually factoring it in to their 1K shooting? Or is it more relevant during left to right wind conditions?
    I prefer to factor all known variables. If I can prove that the bullet will consistently behave a certain way I add that to my ballistic solution. Regardless of distance in my opinion. The more variables removed through application of known data allows me trust my wind calls and corrections more.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I prefer to factor all known variables. If I can prove that the bullet will consistently behave a certain way I add that to my ballistic solution. Regardless of distance in my opinion. The more variables removed through application of known data allows me trust my wind calls and corrections more.
    One of the benefits of shooting on a Known Distance Line is that you remove the variables required to determine the correct distance to the target. Shooting at an unknown distance adds another skill set to the equation. JMHO.

MK17

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    One of the benefits of shooting on a Known Distance Line is that you remove the variables required to determine the correct distance to the target. Shooting at an unknown distance adds another skill set to the equation. JMHO.
    Unknown difference is my favorite. But the Horus and Tremor reticles make holds super easy. But that implies that I know the size of the target. Had to burn the Mil relation formula into my mind. It makes known size targets inside of 1500 a simple task.

MK17

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Unknown difference is my favorite. But the Horus and Tremor reticles make holds super easy. But that implies that I know the size of the target. Had to burn the Mil relation formula into my mind. It makes known size targets inside of 1500 a simple task.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It’s irrelevant and not something that I would be concerned with. If I miss.2 right I don’t come off the line and tell my buddies I had .2 of spin drift. I tell them I had .2 of wind. Same goes on a straight up hit. I wouldn’t say I had.2 of wind left but the spin drift put me back on center. Shooting sub moa groups at a grand isn’t easy. It’s mainly something i hear about on the internet. Conditions usually don’t allow a shooter to call spin drift

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Guess I'm getting a bit Old. Made me peruse my Impact Data Sheets. I-SIGNS1. But the MSR allows me to still be accurate enough all by myself. LOL.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It’s irrelevant and not something that I would be concerned with. If I miss.2 right I don’t come off the line and tell my buddies I had .2 of spin drift. I tell them I had .2 of wind. Same goes on a straight up hit. I wouldn’t say I had.2 of wind left but the spin drift put me back on center. Shooting sub moa groups at a grand isn’t easy. It’s mainly something i hear about on the internet. Conditions usually don’t allow a shooter to call spin drift
    When Military shooting at unknown distance 0.2 Mils could be the difference between telling things to your buddies and being carried by them. But that is the entire purpose of training/competing at the KD range. Could be one of the reasons most Mil/Ex-Mil folks are so anal about LOGS. Actual POI Records still are more valid than Ballistic Calculations. JMHO. But giving the competition a 7.2 inch advantage is difficult to overcome during the course of a match. Especially with the wind at your face, which is preferred during any Hunting situation. Yet such an advantage may not be possible at the KD range? Let's see, centered on a ten inch vital area, 7.2 inches right. Sounds like a clean miss to me. Looks like it's time to visit the Finn accuracy MSR video to me. JMHO.

Last edited:

MK17

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    But spin can push a bullet back on target, and spin can drift in the same direction as the wind which can make the wind call very difficult to assess accurately. If I miss, I miss. I call the distance and direction/correction of the miss. I don’t give a reason as to why I missed. I just missed. Maybe it’s just me but if I can prove that something happens with some I prefer to prepare for it. And I would love to shoot with you some time. I frequent Element but also have a membership at Altus. Not being a jerk just want more long guns on the long range.

MK17

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    When Military shooting at unknown distance 0.2 Mils could be the difference between telling things to your buddies and being carried by them. But that is the entire purpose of training/competing at the KD range. Could be one of the reasons most Mil/Ex-Mil folks are so anal about LOGS. Actual POI Records still are more valid than Ballistic Calculations. JMHO. But giving the competition a 7.2 inch advantage is difficult to overcome during the course of a match. Especially with the wind at your face, which is preferred during any Hunting situation. Yet such an advantage may not be possible at the KD range? Let's see, centered on a ten inch vital area, 7.2 inches right. Sounds like a clean miss to me. Looks like it's time to visit the Finn accuracy MSR video to me. JMHO.
    Completely agree with you. Missing by .2 sucks but then passing on bad correction data or storing bad data sucks a whole lot worse.

Top Bottom