• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Completely agree with you. Missing by .2 sucks but then passing on bad correction data or storing bad data sucks a whole lot worse.

It's like a computer, garbage in equals garbage out. Everyone misses sometime, it's how fast you correct your mistakes that makes all the difference. JMHO. Not all shots are taken in the Northern Hemisphere. LOL.

MK17

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

It's like a computer, garbage in equals garbage out. Everyone misses sometime, it's how fast you correct your mistakes that makes all the difference. JMHO. Not all shots are taken in the Northern Hemisphere. LOL.

I’ve seen a bunch of his videos. He has pretty good explanation. I like that odd approach is more nested in hunting vs competition and the tactical side.

Also you stole my screen name. Even though you had it first lol

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve seen a bunch of his videos. He has pretty good explanation. I like that odd approach is more nested in hunting vs competition and the tactical side.

Also you stole my screen name. Even though you had it first lol
    Would have expected MK20, M21, M25, M24, M40, M14NM or any other 7.62 x 51mm screen name. LOL.

MK17

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Would have expected MK20, M21, M25, M24, M40, M14NM or any other 7.62 x 51mm screen name. LOL.
    Funny thing is my civilian SCAR is as close to anything I carried. And I kinda love em. So all I feed them is M118LR and reloads.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Funny thing is my civilian SCAR is as close to anything I carried. And I kinda love em. So all I feed them is M118LR and reloads.
    I found the SCAR disappointing. Remington was selling M24's on a tier program when Big Green switched to the M2010. Winchester & Remington are Ancient History nowadays. Accuracy Arms is the only current production precision rifle not on the custom list. JMHO. But the 7.62 x 51 has fallen into the realm of a support caliber. Frontline Precision Marksman consider 1500 Meters minimal shots nowadays.Mac is still a player in the precision rifle Profession.

Last edited:

MK17

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I found the SCAR disappointing. Remington was selling M24's on a tier program when Big Green switched to the M2010. Winchester & Remington are Ancient History nowadays. Accuracy Arms is the only current production precision rifle not on the custom list. JMHO. But the 7.62 x 51 has fallen into the realm of a support caliber. Frontline Precision Marksman consider 1500 Meters minimal shots nowadays.Mac is still a player in the precision rifle Profession.
    I tend to agree for long range work the SCAR Is a beast to shoot well. But with quality barrels, and tuned gas system components and quality ammo. It’s a true contender in the mid range. Stainless barrel and a 6.5 conversion and it’s a whole different animal. But still hard to shoot well. Lol.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    But spin can push a bullet back on target, and spin can drift in the same direction as the wind which can make the wind call very difficult to assess accurately. If I miss, I miss. I call the distance and direction/correction of the miss. I don’t give a reason as to why I missed. I just missed. Maybe it’s just me but if I can prove that something happens with some I prefer to prepare for it. And I would love to shoot with you some time. I frequent Element but also have a membership at Altus. Not being a jerk just want more long guns on the long range.
    I know it exist but A 1 MPH full value wind at 1000 measures .28 mils of wind. This is also spin drift for 1-11.25”at 1000. Calling wind speed to the 1 mph is an ability most don’t have.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I tend to agree for long range work the SCAR Is a beast to shoot well. But with quality barrels, and tuned gas system components and quality ammo. It’s a true contender in the mid range. Stainless barrel and a 6.5 conversion and it’s a whole different animal. But still hard to shoot well. Lol.
    6.5 is unlimited during a F-Class Competition. Not to mention that it's not a viable participant afield.So since the 7.62 x 51 has been tailored to 22 inch or longer barrels, shorter barrel lengths are never going to improve MK316 performance. JMHO.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know it exist but A 1 MPH full value wind at 1000 measures .28 mils of wind. This is also spin drift for 1-11.25”at 1000. Calling wind speed to the 1 mph is an ability most don’t have.
    Yet if you have full value 1mph left to right breeze and don't compensate for spin drift you have more than doubled your inaccuracy? Bye the way, how do you make a 0.28 compensation with 0.1 Mil adjustments of your turret? Are you telling me that you use hold offs for wind calls? Kind of questioning that 0.28 Mil 1mph full value? 3mph is only 15 inches, at worst 1mph would be less than 5 inches. That's less than 0.2 mils or 7.2 inches? By using 0.28 compensation for a full value wind you have inadvertantly made partial compensation for spin drift. JMHO What does your actually shot POI Log during Zero value winds reflect?

Last edited:

MK17

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yet if you have full value 1mph left to right breeze and don't compensate for spin drift you have more than doubled your inaccuracy? Bye the way, how do you make a 0.28 compensation with 0.1 Mil adjustments of your turret? Are you telling me that you use hold offs for wind calls? Kind of questioning that 0.28 Mil 1mph full value? 3mph is only 15 inches, at worst 1mph would be less than 5 inches. That's less than 0.2 mils or 7.2 inches? By using 0.28 compensation for a full value wind you have inadvertantly made partial compensation for spin drift. JMHO What does your actually shot POI Log during Zero value winds reflect?

I know you quoted Jhunter but I would like to respond. I have never shot F Class. I have shot Precision rifle and other competition long range events. When logging data I prefer to dial as much possible but in actual use hunting or competing I hold wind and all other windage based effects. My ballistic solvers call for on average .2 mil at 1000y with a full value Cross wind also.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yet if you have full value 1mph left to right breeze and don't compensate for spin drift you have more than doubled your inaccuracy? Bye the way, how do you make a 2.8 compensation with 0.1 Mil adjustments of your turret? Are you telling me that you use hold offs for wind calls?

Yet if you have full value 1mph left to right breeze and don't compensate for spin drift you have more than doubled your inaccuracy? Bye the way, how do you make a 0.28 compensation with 0.1 Mil adjustments of your turret? Are you telling me that you use hold offs for wind calls? Kind of questioning that 0.28 Mil 1mph full value? 3mph is only 15 inches, at worst 1mph would be less than 5 inches. That's less than 0.2 mils or 7.2 inches? By using 0.28 compensation for a full value wind you have inadvertantly made partial compensation for spin drift as long as the wind isn't from left to right. JMHO

I know you quoted Jhunter but I would like to respond. I have never shot F Class. I have shot Precision rifle and other competition long range events. When logging data I prefer to dial as much possible but in actual use hunting or competing I hold wind and all other windage based effects. My ballistic solvers call for on average .2 mil at 1000y with a full value Cross wind also.
    Do you find that 0.2 mil over corrects for a 1mph full value wind when you monitor POI Log? It may be difficult to figure, but if you notice a trend toward being a couple inches extra to the windward side? The elusive 200-20X on a five inch X ring @1000yards is much less attainable than the slightly less than MOA 200-0X which keeps all 20 rounds of that leg inside the ten inch ten ring. MOA @1K is a hair under 10.5 inches. Wonder why programs that slightly under correct for spin drift would slightly overcorrect for light wind? I still feel that POI logs actually shot on the KD range, are much more accurate over time. But they will have more of the Human error factor included in the results. JMHO. Problem with LOGS are the amount of time and powder that must be expended to create them. LOL

MK17

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Do you find that 0.2 mil over corrects for a 1mph full value wind when you monitor POI Log? It may be difficult to figure, but if you notice a trend toward being a couple inches extra to the windward side? The elusive 200-20X on a five inch X ring @1000yards is much less attainable than the slightly less than MOA 200-0X which keeps all 20 rounds of that leg inside the ten inch ten ring. MOA @1K is a hair under 10.5 inches. Wonder why programs that slightly under correct for spin drift would slightly overcorrect for light wind? I still feel that POI logs actually shot on the KD range, are much more accurate over time. But they will have more of the Human error factor included in the results. JMHO. Problem with LOGS are the amount of time and powder that must be expended to create them. LOL
    I find that .2 over corrects for both 1 mph wind at 1000 and calculated spins drift. But I can NOT read wind to within 1 mph so I can’t honestly speak to the accuracy of such low winds. But I have socks and wind meters so when I have higher winds I do find my wind call to be more accurate. Also I am not shooting for the precision that you are. I’m looking to stay on a plate and generally time is a big motivator in my required accuracy. As of late I have more powder, primers and projectiles than time.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I find that .2 over corrects for both 1 mph wind at 1000 and calculated spins drift. But I can NOT read wind to within 1 mph so I can’t honestly speak to the accuracy of such low winds. But I have socks and wind meters so when I have higher winds I do find my wind call to be more accurate. Also I am not shooting for the precision that you are. I’m looking to stay on a plate and generally time is a big motivator in my required accuracy. As of late I have more powder, primers and projectiles than time.
    Nowadays I don't have the time to practice or shoot competitively. So my 1K shooting is done recreationally against the steel plates at Fort Stewart's Red Cloud Range. At certain age skills deminish, without enough practice skills deminish, so nowadays I'm happy shooting 1MOA + whatever the firearm is capable of 1K yards. It's good enough to ring the steel at Fort Stewart, but I'd be lucky to shoot a 190, probably 180's if I shot an F-Class Leg. But I would need some workups to even attempt Match Shooting again. It's doubtful that I will ever have such time available again. So a couple of recreational trips to Fort Stewart a year just to prove to myself that I could at least do once, what I once did keeps my spirit up. Not to mention that it keeps the Son in laws humble.

Top Bottom