• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I want to buy/make/build my son a 22lr that he can shoot. He is 4 but about the size of a normal 6 year old.

I was thinking a cricket- but everyone does that. Maybe a cut down 10/22 or something else.

Give me ideas and if you have something then feel free to pm.

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Good to see you are introducing the next generation to shooting! If he has a positive experience, he will come back for more.

At that age, children are like sponges and soak up knowledge quickly. With so much to learn about shooting, I would think you do not want the rifle to get in the way.

I am no expert. Here are some thoughts:

His first rifle may not be his last. As he grows, there will likely be other rifles. I would focus on making his initial experience as positive as possible. You may want to consider gun fit, rifle weight, trigger weight, quality of the barrel and type of sights. I know I am frustrated shooting a poor quality rifle that sprays bullets. It can mislead me on what I need to do to shoot it better. The same could also frustrate a new shooter.

As far as action type, brand and model, others will likely have better input than me.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Ruger 10/22 tactical with the 16 inch barrel and mount a bi pod I put both my kids daughter and son on it at that age both are going on 7 and 9 and sniper material at this point lol
    Good luck teach em safety and techniques he’ll be jumping up to a larger rifle before you know itbefore you know it

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I started my kids on a single shot Ithica M49, actually traded a surf board for it. Lol. It's still being used to teach grandkids and others via my Son.

I think kids benefit more with a single shot and the entire repetitive step by step procedures. Semi auto ingrain "just shoot/try again" without taking time to address goods/bad of the last shot. YOU also have better control as the "Instructor/Parent". Take a legal size paper pad and a Sharpi with you. Your "pictures" will help comprehension especially the "we little ones", or reinforce what was taught at home. Kids will have a bit of trouble actually seeing holes in paper targets and knowing the last shot from the others: Balloons are great (big and error forgiving) reactive targets (add a little flour, or chalk line powder for more excitement) before you get down to soup cans and Ritz crackers.

I think a Bolt is easier than a Lever action which may shift the muzzle more and pinch little fingers more than once.

A scope makes an easier sight picture then Irons do. Basic Iron sight alignment at close paper targets is easily taught . Little ones can still get Kabob Eye from a scoped .22!

With the current crazies, IDK if there's old cheap bolt .22s kicking around but that's what I'd recommend. Personally, I think the "Cricket" is too small and "Toy like" which doesn't present a wide contrast between toys and firearms. There's also a time to show that each shot "can" do more than just put little holes in paper.

Duckyou

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I will do a BB gun when he is a bit older.

I have to keep fattening up the squirrels around here.

I had a though of a challenger pistol with brace for a smaller chassis and length of pull.

My first 22 was a bolt action and had a Barrel that was probably a 25 caliber. You could it hit a paper plate twice at 10 feet.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Maybe a S&W M&P 22 if you can find one. That is, if he or you you're AR type inclined.

Fun, accurate, compact, and a great way to learn the mechanics of the platform so if/when he might get an AR rifle... every American should have one no lol? With a down-loaded magazine you can curb the spray and pray temptation.

Another great choice would be as mentioned, a Ruger 10-22. I still have the one I bought back in 1977.

Bottom line, might as well get something he will "grow into" vs. the smaller more traditional child offerings that after a couple years just sit and collect dust.

Duckyou

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    So what did you decide on? I'm still harping on the single cock 25$ daisy.

I pre ordered a daisy red Ryder 1938. I am trying to buy a charger 10/22 pistol with a brace as well.

The BB guns have a longer Length of pull - but we can shoot it at the house.

I have a bsa 22 scope that I can put on the charger for range time (red dots also).

When they arrive I will post some pics.

poppop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    look at the rossi youth rifle line
    it comes in semi and bolt action

bought one for my grandson when he was 8. he wanted tje bolt action and he loves it 3C0B743C-E90A-497F-B06B-25C917A60BFA.jpeg

poppop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    price is about $150 and put an inexpensive 4x scope on it. he prob is still a little small but he will grow into it soon

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Savage Rascal!!!! My kiddos love it and have all learned on it. Colibri powderless .22 rounds allow you to shoot anywhere! Quieter and less powerful than a pellet gun!

no woryz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

got one of these for my daughter in 22lr..... she's 22 months & i've had it for 5 years now.... super tack driver and nothing but the simple basics...

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You might want to try a Daisy M853 from the CMP. Incredibly accurate single shot pneumatic .177 cal pellet rifle. Easily shoots one hole groups, great to learn on and lots of fun for experienced shooters. Comes with a short stock and 2 spacers to increase length of pull as he gets bigger. Rebuilt by the CMP for $105 plus $14.95 shipping make it a great deal for an incredibly accurate 10 meter target gun.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Good Deal!

I like the basic teachings a bolt gun with irons at 25 then 50 when they get better and are able to understand why they missed or hit where they did before they move to scoped.

10-7

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I found the Marlin 15YN to be a good platform for both of my daughters, it is a well built and attractive little .22 that has good accuracy.
    Started them on the iron sights then progressed to scopes.

Side note, not saying the rifle had anything to do with it but by her freshman year in high school my youngest was shooting NRA high power competitions, I would like to think the time spent with those little .22's instilled a love of the sport.

Top Bottom