• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LordPorter1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We are all jumping on the ammo band wagon but what about the gun??????? What mods have you made? Any upgrades to the trigger? If the gun, gas system and trigger are stock then I agree ammo is the next step. I have never seen detonation like that in smokeless rifle powder case failure or not. That is more like pistol powder in a rifle load detonation.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I passed a Holiday Inn today....but I can't imagine anything with the trigger causing the case to blow out the primer that far, etch the primer pocket, cause the extractor to rip a piece of the case off and separate the case head... that came from over pressure

Hdjake73

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The first I check is that a 300 black out round was not chambered. But that seems unlikely in this kaboom.
    It must have been a series of thing going round. A weak case head, over load and maybe to great a case length. It seems that bolt's locking lugs and recesses of the barrel extension held.
    I will make it a point not to purchase that brand of ammo.

Avoiding the .300BLK AR-15 ‘ka-boom!’​

The link below does work lol

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What could cause that kaboom would be something similar to range sweepings. During reloading operations when powder magazines get low, they may have loaded smokeless powder dust into that case. That would go off like high explosive and not a fast burn as is normal.

chipster

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    buddy of mine lost 2 rifles to bad FM ammo - he put a damage claim in with FM and was able to get some $$ towards repairing his rifles. Yours needs a bit more than the parts he did, but hopefully they comp you something.

jotec

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Damn still have a couple 1000 freedom ammo in 223. Some is new. Im going to use it up and start buying something else.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a S&W M&P sport that has had thousands of rounds through it (but not tens of thousands)
    A friend gave me some Freedom Munitions ammo, and I am fairly certain the case failed.
    No one was severely injured, but I’m out a rifle, magazine, and can’t trust the ammo.
    What would you do next?
    View attachment 273976
    View attachment 273977
    View attachment 273978
    View attachment 273979
    View attachment 273980
    Have you looked through the barrel for a squib? But I would definitely contact FM and S&W about it.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    DON'T know but the case I saw looked like a 762.39 case have seen a couple of these lately the bullet goes out the barrel and case out the back a 39 round will go in to a 556 chamber. Also have seen and have had it happen when fireing had 3 happen when I was pulling the trigger. The problem turn out to be the bolt was not locked up fully . Have find two main things one is with reloads is the case shoulder is pushed back a couple of ths. when the bullet is crimped in this is caused by two main things case neck is to long, or the case is crimped to much. there a couple of factors also The other thing is I have seen is with the Wil. camber have run a 556. chamber reamer in helped this out. This just for starters I can't type ever thing Ihave seen . Just my 50 cent jj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do you normally run your gun dry? I don't see a spec of lube. What was the string of fire before the massive failure? If the gun was hot, there could of been a cook-off before the bolt locked into battery. Just another angle to think about.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    More than likely, the hammer dropped while the bolt is not fully in battery i.e did not chamber the round completely. Test it with your UNLOADED AR, retract the bolt enough and pull the trigger. Its hard to double charge a .223 with the proper powder.

fisheadgib

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I passed a Holiday Inn today....but I can't imagine anything with the trigger causing the case to blow out the primer that far, etch the primer pocket, cause the extractor to rip a piece of the case off and separate the case head... that came from over pressure
    I second this. I ain't as smart as most of you fellers but everything I see screams over pressure.

Top Bottom