• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hatch

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a S&W M&P sport that has had thousands of rounds through it (but not tens of thousands)
    A friend gave me some remanufactured ammo, and I am fairly certain the case failed.
    No one was severely injured, but I’m out a rifle, magazine, and can’t trust the ammo.
    What would you do next?
    EDIT: the company has made us both whole and I have removed their name from this post.
    IMG_1883.jpeg

IMG_1885.jpeg

IMG_1888.jpeg

IMG_1889.jpeg

Last edited:

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Freedom re-man has a reputation... glad nobody got hurt and thats a bummer to have that happen. With the base of that case being blown off the rest, almost looks like out of battery discharge.

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a S&W M&P sport that has had thousands of rounds through it (but not tens of thousands)
    A friend gave me some Freedom Munitions ammo, and I am fairly certain the case failed.
    No one was severely injured, but I’m out a rifle, magazine, and can’t trust the ammo.
    What would you do next?
    View attachment 273976
    View attachment 273977
    View attachment 273978
    View attachment 273979
    View attachment 273980
    You ask what would I do next.... The very first thing I would do is thank God ,You and the people around you are very lucky.

F4E Phantom

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Feel bad for your friend.
    This is why I never buy reloads or remanufactured.
    Bought some .38 Spl from Miwall at a gunshow years ago. That stuff was probably +P+, luckily I was using my M-19 .357.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Definitely glad you're ok. I would call the manufacturer (remanufacturer?) and advise them of what happened with the lot number. Even if they don't come off any cash hopefully they will do the right thing and recall that lot of ammo.

FWIW I caution against using reloaded ammo in rifles unless I'm the one that loaded it. I've seen to many rifles blow up using boutique remanufactured rounds.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    wow...glad everyone is ok. I shoot Freedom Munition myself, I had an order come short once and I called their Service Number and they were quick to resolve and give me an extra box for my troubles. They were pretty quick to resolve my issues. Also, that does look like a serious casing failure. Any other piece of the cartridge around or did it just totally explode in pieces?

Hatch

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    wow...glad everyone is ok. I shoot Freedom Munition myself, I had an order come short once and I called their Service Number and they were quick to resolve and give me an extra box for my troubles. They were pretty quick to resolve my issues. Also, that does look like a serious casing failure. Any other piece of the cartridge around or did it just totally explode in pieces?
    Last photo shows the majority of the brass still in the barrel, the rear of the case came out with the ejector and is on the bottom of pic. You can tell the case let go near 7 o’clock because it cracked the trunnion near the bottom and to the left, and completely blew the bottom of the bolt assembly apart.
    Round was for sure seated and locked in - an open battery probably would have caused major injury especially to support arm.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Seems they've ran into this in the past. I'd contact Freedom Munitions. I doubt they'll replace your firearm, but maybe they'll add that lot number to their list to help others.

Storman Norman

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This company has had problems in the past. Happend to a buddy of mine with their 223. I steer clear of them entirely.

Black Dot ammo on the other hand..... I have shot multiple hundreds (but not thousands) of rounds of 223 and 9mm with no issues.

Top Bottom