• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    No corrosion, gun is all original, personally owned by the gun smith, matching numbers , no blemishes on the wood stock, original sling and bayonet included, no rust or pitting on metal surfaces, looks new

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I’ve got a lead on an AK47 that I might work a trade out for, the guy is looking for an SKS

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Seen quite a bit of them that were chrome lined barrels so I wouldn't worry about corrosive ammo in that case.

Disconnector is a good point, I've fired a few that spit it all out in a 10rnd burst haha hang onto it and send it.
    The chrome is resistant, but not 100% proof for corrosion, especially in high humidity florida. Fortunately most ammo today, except the yugoslave ammo is loaded with non-potassium chlorate primers. The yugo sks did not have chromium barrels.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am hanging onto to my sks until I see where the assault weapons bill is going. My sks has a 10 shot fixed magazine so might be legal under new laws.

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    ..except the yugoslave ammo is loaded with non-potassium chlorate primers.
    I would buy you a beer for that statement, chemistry is part of my engineering degree and I've tried to explain to people over the years that potassium chloride salts (KCl) are what is the left over result of the chemical reaction from the primer being initiated and that is what attracts the moisture that eventually oxidizes the chamber and barrel of a gun leading to corrosion.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would buy you a beer for that statement, chemistry is part of my engineering degree and I've tried to explain to people over the years that potassium chloride salts (KCl) are what is the left over result of the chemical reaction from the primer being initiated and that is what attracts the moisture that eventually oxidizes the chamber and barrel of a gun leading to corrosion.
    I have a minor in chemistry of which most of it I have forgotten. I am an author of multiple publications and so have some experience in the lab. I am retired from UWF.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I never understood why anybody would want an SKS. I remember when you could get ‘em all day long for $100 and I didn’t buy one then.
    I guess if you just wanted a range toy to shoot cheap surplus ammo it would be ok.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I never understood why anybody would want an SKS. I remember when you could get ‘em all day long for $100 and I didn’t buy one then.
    I guess if you just wanted a range toy to shoot cheap surplus ammo it would be ok.
    Pro side. They are reliable. They can accurized to some extent. They fire a most available cartridge that is a good close range round. One can mount a quality rds sight over the barrel.
    it is good deer round and also a man killer.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Pro side. They are reliable. They can accurized to some extent. They fire a most available cartridge that is a good close range round. One can mount a quality rds sight over the barrel.
    it is good deer round and also a man killer.

I guess. Just seems there are better options to do anything that an SKS can do and since they are no longer particularly cheap.....

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yea, your basic carbine AR15 with a little bit of training can go a long ways.

And then you have 300BO that was optimized for use in a 8.5" barrel...

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Ok, thanks for the replies. Just called gun shop owner and told him I’d come get it tomorrow evening, he said it was mine. Just hate to spend that knowing I used to buy them so cheap. But looks like an investment. Are SKS’s no longer imported? Just wondering why prices have sky rocketed.

I remember barrels of them for $89-129. Mosins were cheaper.

Latest posts

Top Bottom