Should your scope cost more than your rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What type of rifle are we talking?If it’s an Accuracy International I would say no. If your shooting a Ruger American then yes your scope should cost more.
    The deciding factor should be Chinese glass or German glass. I say buy whatever you can afford.
    First focal plane is another very expensive decision but not necessary for everyone.

Captain Dave

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What type of rifle are we talking?If it’s an Accuracy International I would say no. If your shooting a Ruger American then yes your scope should cost more.
    The deciding factor should be Chinese glass or German glass. I say buy whatever you can afford.
    First focal plane is another very expensive decision but not necessary for everyone.
    Don't forget about the Japanese. Some of their stuff is pretty good. But I agree, generally Germany or Austria make the best. JMO. So many folks get all wrapped up in the rifle and buy glass with whatever money they have left. I believe this is flawed logic. For the most part, rifles these days are pretty accurate - more accurate than many of their owners are capable of shooting. Glass can and will make a significant difference in the effectiveness of a rig. As I said in the original thread - USUALLY.

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    That depends. If you buy a $10,000 rifle I’m pretty sure you don’t “Need” an $11,000 scope. That being said when I was younger and had great eye sight I ALWAYS hunted with cheap scopes and NEVER FAILED to kill. Now that I am 55 I see the need for more quality glass but still the best I have owned are Vortex and Leupold, still not top of the line but I can see myself buying even better that will allow for better low light conditions. Now I firmly believe if you buy a median price Savage or Ruger American rifle and throw a Zeiss, Swarovski, or Meopta on it that setup will compete with MUCH HIGHER priced rifles with say a Vortex scope or Burris on them.

Jstocks

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think this was a much more relevant discussion 30 years ago. Today, for hunting…not so much.

Plenty of good scopes out there to be had under $500 that will get you past legal shooting hours just fine. If you want to invest in glass….invest in binoculars.

I can kill the same deer with a $350 scope you can kill with a $1350 scope.

As long as we are talking 300 yards and in.

Most folks have zero business shooting that far even.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    I agree with Captain Dave, "Don't forget about the Japanese". Japanese glass is under rated. Leupold uses Japanese glass on some models. Global economy is wonderful, don't you think? What Jstocks said earlier is also true. "Plenty of good scopes out there to be had under $500" $500 buys a lot of glass these days. IMO I prefer Leupold because 100 years of experience goes a long way in my book. In addition, their QC is top notch as well as their Customer Service. I also like they don't bill board their name and logo so it can be seen from a mile away. Often the golden ring is all you notice. However, a lot of meat has been put in the freezer by less expensive equipment.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Like mentioned... depends.

It's an old saying that really doesn't hold much water now days with the affordable quality scopes out there, especially in the used scope market.

I just got a LNIB Vortex Viper PST in the box with all the factory goodies for $325 shipped. I didn't need the Vortex but I know a killer deal when I see one. While not a top line scope, it's more than enough to meet the shooting needs of most folks. My last Leupold MK IV was $750 shipped.

The saying isn't as applicable as many want to think.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    When I first got serious about shooting and hunting, an older WWII and Korean War vet named Elmer told me "spend as much as you spent on rifle, on glass". That was back in the early 90s though! Lots of very good glass out there now for budget prices. I recommend spending as much as you can afford... quality shows when you cross the $1,000 line.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The purpose of the rifle determines the quality of the glass. A thousand yard target rifle requires high end glass with an appropriate Reticle that may be as expensive as $3K. A Mini-30 with 150 yard hunting range can probably function with a sub $500 1-4 variable with clear glass. The value of the glass shall be in the eye of the beholder. But time spent behind top end German glass will spoil the operator, so mid level Japanese Glass capable of 600 yard optical clearity is a value in today's market. JMHO. Many factors determine a day scopes price, for set and forget purposes, turret adjustments and repeatability may not factor into the equation. Operator preference (FFP- SFP, Ranging Capabilities etc) may effect price. But a 1K rifle may not need a 1K scope to reach the combos max potential Nowadays.

Captain Dave

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think this was a much more relevant discussion 30 years ago. Today, for hunting…not so much.

Plenty of good scopes out there to be had under $500 that will get you past legal shooting hours just fine. If you want to invest in glass….invest in binoculars.

I can kill the same deer with a $350 scope you can kill with a $1350 scope.

As long as we are talking 300 yards and in.

Most folks have zero business shooting that far even.
    Once you get used to good glass you'll never turn back. Same for binoculars. It's a real curse!

Last edited:

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    For me, I spend as much as possible and then some on optics. My way of reasoning is I tend to keep them forever. The used price of optics does not hold up well to MSRP or map pricing. Optics go when I want an upgrade.
    Firearms on the other hand (WITH THE EXCEPTION OF A VERY FEW) usually come and go like laundered US tax $ thru Ukraine.

Top Bottom