Should your scope cost more than your rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    when measuring in mils or moa don't you need a known measurement for determining distance? what calculations do you use to measure spread, tine length and main beam length?

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    when measuring in mils or moa don't you need a known measurement for determining distance? what calculations do you use to measure spread, tine length and main beam length?
    The known would be distance. This would require a range finder. The unknown would be spread or tine length. 1 mil=3.6” at 100 yds or 4 moa=4.25” at 100 yards or .5 mil=5.25” at 300 yards
    You could even use the same tool to determine what distance you are comfortable taking a shot at by milling the animals vitals. I milled every elk I saw when I went to CO. Their kill zone is huge!

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    103   0   0
    My guess the Weaver or the Tasco are not $3K scopes. However, they brought home the bones. So back to the OP.

"Should your scope cost more than your rifle?". . . . . It's complicated.​

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Now , just to start a little discussion. I haven’t taken a deer at more than 175 yards in the last 25 or so years . I only take a couple a year unless someone I know is in need of meat . Most , likely 90% are taken at less than 100 yards.The far end of my food plot is less than 200 yards from my stand and I usually shoot them some where around the middle of it. So I’m not sure that a $3000 scope would benefit me .

Last edited:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Before buying the $3K scope everyone should apply FLT logic.
    the only flaw with FLT's logic, if you will, is everyone doesn't hunt within 200 yards in trees...otherwise it is spot on.
    I all still falls into the shooters needs.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    103   0   0
    "Now , just to start a little discussion. I haven’t taken a deer at more than 175 yards in the last 25 or so years . I only take a couple a year unless someone I know is in need of meat . Most , like 90% are taken at less than 100 yards.The far end of my food plot is less than 200 yards from my stand and I usually shoot them some where around the middle of it." I take this for what it is background leading up to logic.

I take this as logic. "So I’m not sure that a $3000 scope would benefit me ." Only the last sentence is logical.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Logic? What has logic to do with firearms? Logically one pump shotgun with interchangable barrels, one rifle since you only carry one at a time, and possibly two pistols a small CCW and a full size duty. That's what logic will do for you. But I guess it's logical to spend enough on glass that it will make it to the rifle/cartridge combos max distance even if you rarely shoot it that far. No sense in limiting the combo with substandard glass, and no need to purchase glass that outreaches the combo. So spend whatever it takes to match up with the combo, if ends up being more than the cost of the rifle so be it. If it is less than the cost of the rifle but maximizes the combos abilities that works also. As time goes by it is doubtful that your eyesight will improve, so if the glass is a bit clearer it may be worth the extra investment over time. Then again, optical clearity may improve faster than ones eyesight degrades, so you may get a better product down the road. Guess the spend at least as much on the glass as the rifle recommendation is just that, a recommendation. JMHO. As to ranging without a battery operated device. Mildot Master will easily convert game size to distance with any mil based reticle. Amazon product ASIN B008WTWKEA

Last edited:

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Depends on the purpose and your budget. There's a scope for every budget. It is usually cheaper in the long run to buy a good quality glass and mount to begin with. No one ever regrets getting the better product but lots of people regret settling for less.

Captain Dave

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My guess the Weaver or the Tasco are not $3K scopes. However, they brought home the bones. So back to the OP.

"Should your scope cost more than your rifle?". . . . . It's complicated.​

Read the opening post... USUALLY is the operative word.

jugdish

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Like mentioned... depends.

It's an old saying that really doesn't hold much water now days with the affordable quality scopes out there, especially in the used scope market.

I just got a LNIB Vortex Viper PST in the box with all the factory goodies for $325 shipped. I didn't need the Vortex but I know a killer deal when I see one. While not a top line scope, it's more than enough to meet the shooting needs of most folks. My last Leupold MK IV was $750 shipped.

The saying isn't as applicable as many want to think.
    I would be curious, where you are find such good deals. Please share, if you can. LOL

Top Bottom