• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Can you simply buy a shorter bbl that accepts chokes ?? The threading ( IF you have enough bbl thickness) will be costly. Especially if vent rib.
    But you can get all the velocity you will need,and obtain the same pattern from a 18" as you will a 24". --- SAWMAN

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    What Rebel_Rider1969 and SAWMAN said. I would put my effort into finding the barrel that suits the intended purpose. Leave the longer barrel as it is for yet a different purpose or sell, maybe even trade for what you want. I believe the shorter barrel will be able to deliver an effective pay load at self defense distances i.e. across a room or down a hall. The velocity loss is approximately 25 feet per barrel inch. I can't confirm this estimate. I've been told this by sages in the shotgun world. Your mileage may very. Good Luck in your quest.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Would disagree with the above vel loss. In some of my tests,even less drop in vel per inch than pistol powders. This is (IMO) contributed to a bigger bore.
    What is your intended purpose for this gun ?? ---- SAWMAN

TontoFAC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Would disagree with the above vel loss. In some of my tests,even less drop in vel per inch than pistol powders. This is (IMO) contributed to a bigger bore.
    What is your intended purpose for this gun ?? ---- SAWMAN
    Security and riot control. Really want something the 90# 4'9" wife can handle and I already have the gun.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I bought a 20" 12ga vent rib and choke barrel for $200, seemed high to me but oh well. It is on my Mav88 and I have shot dove with it, you might lose a bit of range but I noticed no difference. I also put an adjustable stock on it and now it is my around the house riot gun with the plug removed..wish it was a 20ga, I will trade it for a like configured 20ga

Attachments

• 100_0299.JPG
      100_0299.JPG
      200.9 KB · Views: 121

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    listen to the above. also Mosb. barrels rib is not attach to each of the studs only at each end . so more work to have done . Rem barrels are attached to each stud. Justmy 5 cents jj

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    My wife is small also and the moss youth 20 ga is perfect for her. I added the light and sling.

IMG_0185.jpg

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    AND - - -> not "OO" buck. I would want the most dense pattern that I could get. Even #4buck would be too large. Especially if children or pets shared the house,for the penetration factor.
    For me it would be a stiff load of #4 or #6 shot. This in the 2.75" shells if the gun would hold one more vs the 3". This size shot,especially in a dense pattern will still go thru sheetrock but not a 2X4,a couch,appliances,etc.
    A shot pattern like this is still extremely dense/tight when fired at the typical HD ranges. This will add to its penetration. Remember also,at the HD ranges,you gotta shoot the shotgun like a rifle. You gotta aim the gun.
    I would highly reccomend that people using a shotgun for HD,take it to the range and practice with it. All you need is some white 10" paper plates. Put them up on the berm. Step back 7yds or 10yds and try to hit them fast. Are just a few pellets in them or is the entire plAte blown up.
    Here is a suggestion. - - -> for the people interested. We need to have a shotgun class at JJ's. Him and I could teach and be RSO's. It would be free. A half day affair. With a everybody bring your own lunch thing. Ladies would be most welcome. No fee charged or accepted. 25-40 rds needed. Any gauge shotgun allowed with any choke and bbl length or configuration. Pump and semi auto only.
    This would be safety,home layout,ammo needed,minimal talk about room clearing and ID'ing a good guy/bad guy,and use of a small light.
    Simple class and informal class. People shareing ideas but sticking to what is best for them,their family,and their home.
    Extrtemely minor talk about the laws and lawyer/police stuff. We all should already know that.
    I volunteer - - - > JJ - - -> THANK YOU SIR. ---- SAWMAN

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    AND - - -> not "OO" buck. I would want the most dense pattern that I could get. Even #4buck would be too large. Especially if children or pets shared the house,for the penetration factor.
    For me it would be a stiff load of #4 or #6 shot. This in the 2.75" shells if the gun would hold one more vs the 3". This size shot,especially in a dense pattern will still go thru sheetrock but not a 2X4,a couch,appliances,etc.
    A shot pattern like this is still extremely dense/tight when fired at the typical HD ranges. This will add to its penetration. Remember also,at the HD ranges,you gotta shoot the shotgun like a rifle. You gotta aim the gun.
    I would highly reccomend that people using a shotgun for HD,take it to the range and practice with it. All you need is some white 10" paper plates. Put them up on the berm. Step back 7yds or 10yds and try to hit them fast. Are just a few pellets in them or is the entire plAte blown up.
    Here is a suggestion. - - -> for the people interested. We need to have a shotgun class at JJ's. Him and I could teach and be RSO's. It would be free. A half day affair. With a everybody bring your own lunch thing. Ladies would be most welcome. No fee charged or accepted. 25-40 rds needed. Any gauge shotgun allowed with any choke and bbl length or configuration. Pump and semi auto only.
    This would be safety,home layout,ammo needed,minimal talk about room clearing and ID'ing a good guy/bad guy,and use of a small light.
    Simple class and informal class. People shareing ideas but sticking to what is best for them,their family,and their home.
    Extrtemely minor talk about the laws and lawyer/police stuff. We all should already know that.
    I volunteer - - - > JJ - - -> THANK YOU SIR. ---- SAWMAN

I'd totally be in for that! Any excuse to pop caps is a good excuse.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    My 2c... I have an 870 with 20"bbl, cyl bore and rifle sights. Its my homeland security device. I actually think 20" is the perfect bbl length for almost any application... fwiw.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Any time you went to put it together, will have to do it after christmas , Will have to feed Bill and me. Bring some 10 in. paper plates, I have been doing this with some of my CCW class al ready. showing what you can do to protect your self in you home, Introducing the lady's to using a shot gun . Just my 100 cents jj

If you have been thinking about using a shot gun , and haven't got one . and want to learn , come I think we will have more than enough available for you to try. come and learn, jj Bill is incharge of this he started it .

Last edited:
    Top Bottom