• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil222

Shooter
    Looking for some advice concerning a potential purchase. My son is selling a Kris’s Vector SDP with a 5.5 inch barrel. He has an approved form 1 to SBR it.

I told him that I would buy it and wanted it as an SBR as well. I spoke to 2 well respected local FFL’s who both told me that the easiest way would be to have him contact the ATF to drop it from the registry, sell it to me as a pistol, and then I would complete a form 1 in my name.

He sent the email to drop it from the registry but never heard anything. I waited about 2 months and tried submit a form 1. After several weeks, I was informed that the form had been withdrawn as that specific serial number was already in the registry under a different name (my son, obviously) and that I could reapply when it is dropped from the registry.

I spoke with the FFL who stated that, the ATF has been extremely slow in updating the registry.

I am not in a hurry. However, my problem is knowing when it is finally dropped so I can start the process. Will my son get notification once it is dropped? It’s too late now but, is there a process to transfer it’s an SBR?

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Form 4 from son to dealer $200

Form 4 from dealer to you $200

Or

Wait for it to drop from the registry, which who knows how long that will take, and then Form 1 it again.

I think these are your options.

fir

Just a guy
    Local Dealer
    If you're in the same state it only takes one Form 4. Son to you.
    This is correct. The drop from registry only mattered when Form 4s were taking 12 months. Right now the removal letters are probably taking longer.

Little Jack

Master
    Well, that would’ve been much easier. Sounds like I got bad advice.
    Not necessarily. As a non licensee, you're going to have to file a paper Form 4 to get it from your son(unless they've changed eforms access recently). I'm still waiting on one from October. If you can get confirmation that its off the registry, you can efile the Form 1 relatively quickly.

ETA: eform 1: 112 days, paper Form 4 262 days. According to atf site as of now

fir

Just a guy
    Local Dealer
    Eform 1s are 112 days on average? They have slowed down. Their numbers are questionable, and you can't see how they formulate them.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    He submitted the request, with a 16" or longer barrel you can keep the stock, or brace it as is.
    Little Jack can probably confirm it's good to put in your hands.
    SBR it when you know they have received the request

Little Jack

Master
    Silencershop.com says
    Eform 4: 1 day to 6 months, avg 4 days.
    Paper 4: 72 months.....(guessing because they haven't done paper since eforms started)

fir

Just a guy
    Local Dealer
    He submitted the request, with a 16" or longer barrel you can keep the stock, or brace it as is.
    Little Jack can probably confirm it's good to put in your hands.
    SBR it when you know they have received the request
    Once the letter is filed it is safe to return it to a rifle. That's a special case where you don't have to wait for a response. To reassign it you do have to wait for the removal though.

Little Jack

Master
    If the item isn't in a NFA configuration, you can sell/transfer it like any other firearm. It's in the NFA handbook. I've posted the info before.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Eform 1s are 112 days on average? They have slowed down. Their numbers are questionable, and you can't see how they formulate them.

They have slowed... my brother filed three E-form 1's on 3-15-24 and they were just approved yesterday 3-26-24.

I started to think he screwed them up lol.

Top Bottom