• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skyydiver

Marksman
    My contact in SRSO said the few they currently have for issue are not in good shape. Most who choose to tote a carbine currently use their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildrider666

Master
    Some Dept allow Officer to buy their issued firearms when they are being replaced unless trade-in is part of the Contract. Firearms with Happy Select would not be available for Officers purchase. Doesn't hurt to ask the Boss.

FrommerStop

Master
    Some Dept allow Officer to buy their issued firearms when they are being replaced unless trade-in is part of the Contract. Firearms with Happy Select would not be available for Officers purchase. Doesn't hurt to ask the Boss.
    I believe that SR county did get a few directly from US gov surplus w/o the fun switch during the Obama years. I am not sure if those can sold to an officer.
    Departments at one time could get FA guns, but they were under stricter regulation was my understanding. Most departments do not want their people with FA weapons for general distribution.

Raven

Master
    I know it's all "tongue in cheek", but seriously, kill a man's dog in front of him and whoever did it better hope and pray that man has a wife, kids or something else to live for because he'll be hell on fire for whoever just pulled the trigger on his dog, whether or not he's bad guys dog or a good guys dog. So yes, the law should go into that kind of situation with the best possible equipment to help save everybody's lives.

Raven

Master
    I remember seeing Sheriff Bob Johnson in an interview saying that there will be no gun confiscation in Santa Rosa county as long as he’s Sheriff and I believe him.
    I know a few deputies and they are all good people.
    I believe they would make the right choice if it came down to a confiscation order from this “president”.
    I’m glad that they are getting upgraded equipment. I wouldn’t want to face what they do every day.
    Everybody remember the Malheur occupation, and the fact that the Feds admitted that the County Sheriff trumps the Feds and has the right to kick the Feds right the heck out of their county. That takes a Sheriff with balls, though. We shall see. That's why the leaders of that group were run off the road and shot, while making a break for the next county over where the Sheriff was sympathetic to the cause of Freedom, because the Feds knew they couldn't let them reach that county line.

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Most cops can’t hit the broad side of a barn during a shooting - anything to help them get more bullets on target is a good spend!
    Most people in a stressful situation tend to shove the muzzle down on a pistol. This can be helped with a red dot because if you do that you'll lose sight of the dot. Good training tool. However, just gotta remember when not in training to not get tunnel vision focused on that bright light or else your OODA loop is going to be messed up at the worst possible time.

Raven

Master
    Maybe the sheriff's office will put the replaced rifles up for sale to the public to help offset the cost of the new ones.;)
    Pensacola PD did that. I almost bought one at Jay's. A WW2 surplus 45ACP select fire wearing US stamps and a PPD badge. Very cool and relatively cheap at only $4,500... back when average AR's were going for $3,000 under Obummer. I rented it, played with the full auto, went home and thought about it, came back to put it on layaway, just to find out that the RSO who had been with me when I rented it had put it on layaway. SOB

m4a1sof

Expert
    You should still wear hearing protection with a suppressed .223. Due to the high pressure and fast speed a .223 is one of hardest calibers to suppress effectively and your still going to have that supersonic crack. If you use subsonic ammo it won't reliably cycle the action of an AR15. The only calibers I have found that are so effective suppressed that I wouldn't wear hearing protection is subsonic .22 rimfire and subsonic 9mm. You can actually get subsonic .22 rimfire to be "Hollywood" quiet :) . Here is my Hollywood quiet integrally suppressed Ruger 10/22.

Attachments

• Ruger resize.jpg
      Ruger resize.jpg
      362.6 KB · Views: 101

FrommerStop

Master
    You should still wear hearing protection with a suppressed .223. Due to the high pressure and fast speed a .223 is one of hardest calibers to suppress effectively and your still going to have that supersonic crack. If you use subsonic ammo it won't reliably cycle the action of an AR15. The only calibers I have found that are so effective suppressed that I wouldn't wear hearing protection is subsonic .22 rimfire and subsonic 9mm. You can actually get subsonic .22 rimfire to be "Hollywood" quiet :) . Here is my Hollywood quiet integrally suppressed Ruger 10/22.
    I was present when a local gunsmith was testing a 17 caliber AR with a suppressor that he made. Use outside that suppressor was probably hearing safe for the number of arounds typically used in aa typical gunfight. I felt a pressure wave, but there was not the blast that was associated normally with the AR. His suppressors have all sorts of strangely angled baffles in them and they were expensive.

PaulT

Expert
    Saw an article in the PNJ today that say the sheriff bought 200 AR-15s for $445,960. After doing the math that comes to $2229.80 per AR! Later in the article it did say that it comes with an Aimpoint and supressor. I wonder if it was a compettive bid?

Sounds like a real deal to me...
    2229 for high end ar,aimpoint,suppressor...

Fine Deal.

m4a1sof

Expert
    No giggle switch. The receiver is stamped safe semi auto, but there is no pin above the selector which means there are no giggles to be had :) . The vendor probably had a bunch of receivers already stamped like that. Note the missing pin in the sheriff photo, it probably has an AR15 semi only selector switch as well so it wouldn't even rotate around to the auto position. ATF trivia: that tiny hole is what makes an AR15 a machine gun, if you had no other full auto parts in the gun, but it had that hole drilled in it, it is considered a machine gun. If you had all the full auto parts in it but no hole (but of course no auto sear as it needs that pin) it would not be considered a machine gun.

Attachments

• no pin (2).png
      no pin (2).png
      395.5 KB · Views: 112
    • pin.jpg
      pin.jpg
      61.4 KB · Views: 111

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Money and budgets. I've played that game before, very successfully. You budget asking for 140%+, you get 110%+-. You buy and stock what can be used in later years if budget is cut short in the future. You spend every dime as you enter the last funding Qtr and always ask for more. There are always "sick" programs or contracts the have funding allocated but was not spent: "being ready to spend/drop doc/purchase orders" WILL obligate those funds so its not lost. The bean counters see funds not spent as a reason to cut future budgets in those areas and they do just that to the sick ones. I got the allowed 110%, actually spent more within the rules and show full obligation of mine and all the sweep up funds: showing justification for future larger budget approvals. I had stacks of supply docs that only needed my signature and the date. I wasn't a big fish in the pecking order but always a hungry one, obligated $3.5M in two days once or thrice. Lol
    I'd much rather see this money spent to get a body cam for every single officer than an AR for them. I think body cams need to be utilized by every officer every call they go on. Not every one of them needs a fully kitted AR. Those cams could save the cops asses as well as tell the truth if they're guilty of wrongdoings.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I'd much rather see this money spent to get a body cam for every single officer than an AR for them. I think body cams need to be utilized by every officer every call they go on. Not every one of them needs a fully kitted AR. Those cams could save the cops asses as well as tell the truth if they're guilty of wrongdoings.
    Every deputy in Baldwin Co SO has one.

Dan1612

Master

Please read the article Sir.

And why are y’all up?

Top Bottom