• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alientaz

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hello all,

I have been looking at the Ruger and no matter what your feeling's are about Ruger I need some helpful info, please.

I am basically looking for an additional rifle and with the plentiful and cheaper ammo in the AK platform this one has caught my eye. The rifle is lighter in weight and it could e used for hunting. So I need some additional pro's and con's. Thank you

Chaos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I love mine, it is a newer one, I reload for it and it is very accurate. I put a leupold scope on it and its my hog gun. I have one in 6.8 I deer hunt with and the 223 is my varmint gun. I guess I like them. I have put Hogue over molded stocks on them all, I just like the feel better and the are made to drop in and fit. Not much else to say..Chaos

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I gave a friend of mine some steel 7.62x39 ammo...he told me his mini-30 would not cycle the ammo...not sure if anyone else has those issues also.

Hipower

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Here is a response on another forum that Ruger made to someone have issues using the cheap foreign made ammo using steel cases and some steel core bullets in their Ruger Mini-30's: "Response: What kind of ammunition is being used? We do not recommend the use of steel projectile ammunition. Steel projectiles in any rifle can cause bore damage. We do not recommend the use of foreign surplus military ammunition as it may cause the gun to misfire, mis-feed or in extreme cases can cause the firing pin to break. We do not recommend the use of any ammunition, including steel-cased ammunition, unless the ammunition is loaded to SAAMI (US) or CIP (European) manufacturing standards. You can send your complete firearm into our Product Service Dept for evaluation. Ship to Sturm, Ruger & Co. 411 Sunapee St. Newport, NH 03773. Put a detailed letter inside with your firearm stating the problem. Include a daytime phone number, return physical address, and mailing address. Pack the firearm securely with no writing on the outside of the box, except for the shipping label. I had always heard that there was a difference in diameter of barrels in Ruger Mini-30's using a .308 diameter whereas the AK-47s, SKS's, etc. were .311 diameter. Heed Ruger's warning, but of course other folks experience may be different.

rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looks like Hickok45 heard your question...
    Seems to be a case of light strikes with the Berdan Primers in steel case ammo. I almost bought one of these a year or two ago, but didn't do it. I'm glad now. The biggest pro of the 7.62x39 cartridge in my opinion is the plentiful cheap ammo. If you can't shoot that reliably then...

[video]https://youtu.be/DkN3lK4T1xM[/video]

Top Bottom