• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Been wanting one of these for some time now. Have a single shot 300BLK already and really have no use for one in the AR action. Thanks to the help of another forum member and as always,Nate at Little Jack's.

Don't know if I will get used to the stocks color. If not,there is always RIT Liquid Dye(for fabrics).Works well. The gun is threaded at the muzzle for 5/8X24,the .308 inch "normal". It comes with a thread protector however I replaced it with the one off of my Handi Rifle 300BLK ... fits perfect. Will never have a can but there is possibly a brake in the future.

The gun is 36" long and weighs 7lbs 5ozs WITH the scope base,massive Burris Extreme Tactical (LOW)rings,Zeiss Terra 2-7X32 scope,scope covers,and a mag with 5rds of 187gr black tip subs. All in all .... pretty light ...STILL.

The gun comes with a bedding block,factory floated 16.5" bbl(although I opened up the bbl channel a little bit),the Marksman adjustable trigger(mine set down to 3lbs 12ozs with the turn of a screw ... there is a easy way to get it down to 2lbs if needed/wanted,hammer forged 1:7 twist bbl(for the 220gr + bullets),and a 4rd mag(this is the advertised capacity. All three of my mags will easily hold 5rds and can be easily inserted with the bolt closed).The magazines are rotary type and fit flush with the bottom of the stock. The mag will take loaded rds of up to 2.285" COAL.

I have not shot this gun yet however another forum member has one that has reported excellent accuracy with his hand loads.

This gun comes in the 300BLK and the 5.56X45 chamberings. There are two different LOP's for each. I wanted the shortest OAL possible so I got the 12.5" LOP. It also comes with a "Limbsaver" type super soft recoil pad.

Will report accuracy results in the near future. --- SAWMAN
    EDIT TO ADD: Got my trigger down to 3lbs 2.4ozs with 1/2 hour work and simple tools. It still has NO creep and breaks like a glass rod.
    Broke out my calibrated torque wrench and torqued the stock to action screws down to 70 in lbs. The book sez 60-80. This is super tight as stock to actions go.

Attachments

• DSC01062.JPG
      DSC01062.JPG
      411.1 KB · Views: 403
    • DSC01064.JPG
      DSC01064.JPG
      420.4 KB · Views: 404
    • DSC01067.JPG
      DSC01067.JPG
      290.3 KB · Views: 387
    Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    No sir,haven't been to the range with this gun yet. Been too busy killin' hogs for some farmers over in SR county. Should get to the range this coming week.

If you want to shoot this gun you are welcome to come out to the range with me and give it a try. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Took the gun to the range this AM. Ultimately wanted to shoot the Barnes TAC-X 110gr bullets out of the gun. Have some factory loads and wanted to give them a try first before reloading any. The velocity of this load is 2382fps out of the 16.5" bbl.

This is the outcome. The group was 5 shots at 50yds and measures .332".

IMO ...... the tightness of the stock(with the rear screw tightened first as all action to stock screws should be tightened)and the extremely light and crisp trigger with NO creep,has helped this gun. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• DSC01068.JPG
      DSC01068.JPG
      291 KB · Views: 346

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    It shot pretty nice with the Nosler 125gr BT reload that I worked up for my Ruger American too.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Gff,when you get your gun,let me know. I will either tell you how to do some damn great mods or you are welcome to come over and we will do your gun.

AND --> it has been reported that these rotary mags are somewhat hard to load. When I first got my gun I loaded the mags(one came with the gun and I bought 2 more)with 5rds each and let them sit. It was 5 days until I actually used the first mag and it was already easier to load. NOW ----> all three stay loaded and are becoming easier as the days go by. Seems that this works. I also sprayed silicone down inside the mags. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    This might be a good first gun for my son. Is the recoil something a 7 year old could handle easily?

My 5 and 7 yr old shot deer with my 6.8spc and 7-08 this year. The 300blk should be just right for kids their age. That's one of the main reasons I'm buying mine.

Sawman...If and when it ever gets here I will get with you. I need to mod my stock before I have it cerakoted. I talked with kygun today and they said it should ship today. Holding my breath.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sawman,

Your's had a noticeably lighter trigger pull than mine. You reduced your trigger pull by adjusting the screw, right? When the new scope rail comes in, and I have to remove my sight anyway to install the new rail, could we (you) adjust the trigger pull on mine and then properly torque the action screws?

Thanks,
    Bruce

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Stagman --> Will you reload for it ?? If not,there is a ton of subsonic ammo out there. Remember,this gun is super light so the recoil from full power supers is .... well .... more than I thought it would be. Remember also,if your son is of the "normal" size I would reccomend the #6970 over the #6968. The difference is the LOP. Academy has a gun chambered in 5.56X45 on the shelf. All else is the same as my gun. Take your son in and let him shoulder it.

Daezee, absolutely .... bring it over and we can do that ... PLUS ... while we are at it we can clean under the old base and install the new one using Gun-Tite. (LocTite Blue).
    I actually cut the spring down by 1 1/2 coils then reinstalled with the screw turned almost all the way out. I used Gun-Tite on that also. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Just got and installed my EGW scope base. It is a full 1.670" longer than the one supplied with the rifle. The EGW hangs over a half inch or so in front and the base and pic slots go all the way to the rear of the base. Lots of room for spreading the rings out as they should be installed.

The EGW stock # is 46150. They should be torqued to 20 inch lbs. NOW ...... gotta go sight in again ...... more shootin' .... terrible :becky: --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Thanks to Sawman, my Ruger American 300BLK rifle now has a crisp 3.5 pound trigger pull. The lowest it would go before was 4 lb 12 oz. it is also MUCH crisper now, as in no creep. The EGW rail now allows me to mount all my various optics and thermals in the proper positions for my holds. Before, the factory rail would not allow the mounting of all my optics nor the perfect positioning of my thermal sights. The new rail is now properly torqued in place. The action is now properly torqued into the stock.

I also gave feedback to Ruger the their rail does not allow all optics to be mounted due to the uneven rail spacing. Ruger said in reply that it is being redesigned and they are having some prototypes made at this time.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Thanks to Sawman, my Ruger American 300BLK rifle now has a crisp 3.5 pound trigger pull. The lowest it would go before was 4 lb 12 oz. it is also MUCH crisper now, as in no creep. The EGW rail now allows me to mount all my various optics and thermals in the proper positions for my holds. Before, the factory rail would not allow the mounting of all my optics nor the perfect positioning of my thermal sights. The new rail is now properly torqued in place. The action is now properly torqued into the stock.

I also gave feedback to Ruger the their rail does not allow all optics to be mounted due to the uneven rail spacing. Ruger said in reply that it is being redesigned and they are having some prototypes made at this time.

You will have 1 more to do when mine gets here Sawman, if it ever gets here. Kygunco.com still hasn't shipped mine yet.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Gff, You probably ought to go ahead and order that EGW base for the gun right now. You will eventually need it/want it,and we can install it when you come over.

Daezee, you need to take a pic of your gun so that it shows a closeup of the base installed BEFORE you mount optics on it,and post it here. --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    DSCN2827.JPG

Upper is the Ruger supplied and installed rail. Lower is the EGW aftermarket picatinny (aka 1913 rail) which must meet certain specs. Sort hard to tell, but in the EGW rail the mounting screws are recessed below the scope mount notches so they don't interfere.

All 1913 rail notches must be a certain height and width and spacing from each other. This is so you can mount the optic anywhere needed on the 1913 rail (max flexibility). See how the Ruger supplied rail has 3 different widths of upper portions (where the screws go through and the middle Ruger logo part). Due to the varying widths of the upper portion, the notch or lower portion where the bolt goes through the scope mount to clamp it in place are of differing distances from each other. While it looks pretty, the differing widths and spaces can cause problems. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picatinny_rail for the specs and notes on picatinny Vs Weaver rails.

If your scope mount/rings can either be shifted back and forth until they match up with the notches (and can be tightened up), you optic can be mounted. If your optic needs to be in a certain position for proper eye relief, due to the varying notch spacing, you may or may not be able to get it in the correct position for your eyes. In the case of my one thermal sight, it uses a Larue LT753 mount. I needed it mounted near the rear of the Ruger rail for the best eye relief viewing. Due to the differing width of the raised portion of the rail (where the rear screw is on the rail), it would not fit. It also wouldn't fit one notch further away from the end of the rail due to the abnormal width of the next raised portion where the 2nd mounting screw was. It would, however fit further forward towards the middle of the rail, but then the eye relied was off, not giving me the best view of the thermal's screen. I tried 2 ACOG scopes, but their picatinny mounts would not line up with the differing distance Ruger rail notches.

Now here comes the kicker...MOST "Weaver" style scope rings will fit picatinny rails, but some, using a much wider bolt that goes through the bottom of the rings than "normal" may not fit. If buying scope rings to use with a picatinny rail, make sure the description says something like "will fit picatinny or Weaver style bases" or check with the maker.

I did an Internet search using the words Ruger American Blackout picatinny and found mutliple reviews of the Ruger American Blackout that said it came with a picatinny rail. WRONG!!! That made me question the expertise of the reviewers. Now probably the Ruger American and its non-picatinny rail doesn't effect many people, but is sure did me, as I use a variety of optics/thermal. Apparently it's effected enough people that a company like EGW designed and sells a replacement rail that bolts right on. Ruger did not give me permission to post their entire reply when I told them about it (and I got a Great reply from the current Ruger American engineer), so I will just say they are aware of the incompatibility and are working on prototype replacement rails. I wonder if that's why, on another forum, a person posted a pic of the recent Ruger American Blackout that came from Ruger with "typical" front and rear scope bases and no rail.

Bonus: The EGW rail gives me more back room so I can move my optic closer to my eye for proper viewing by me.

Hope this helps. If I've made any errors concerning 1913 rails, please let me know...I like to learn too.

Attachments

• DSCN2827.JPG
      DSCN2827.JPG
      136.6 KB · Views: 211
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    10-4 Daezee. I'm not fond of the broken areas in the ruger mount. I may pop on an egw. I won't be switching optics as often as you guys but it will be nice to mount the scope a little forward so I can run my camera behind it with less interference in shooting form.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Make sure you understand ..... this problem is NOT only for those using thermal with LaRue,A.R.M.S. or others mounting devices. I could quite easily be a problem with the people that simply want to install two smallish rings and a scope on their gun.

There are all different lengths between the scope adjustment turrets and the eye piece and the scopes objective. This could be a problem in itself. Remember,you should always mount your scope using the widest space between rings as possible. This,for scope stability/rigidity. This scope base(the EGW) is a full 1.670" longer than the Ruger supplied rail,WITH evenly spaced slots. This gives you quite a bit more choices of where to install your optics for proper eye relief. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom