• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Win 760 / H414 , H4350 , RL 19 , RS Big Game & lately RL 17 all pretty much same speed burn wise with 165 thru 180's . RL 17 has been showing real promise with more FPS with less pressure .

Norm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Win 760 / H414 , H4350 , RL 19 , RS Big Game & lately RL 17 all pretty much same speed burn wise with 165 thru 180's . RL 17 has been showing real promise with more FPS with less pressure .
    It’s amazing how different rifles have such different personalities. I’ve got a BAR, Belgium made, in ‘06 that absolutely loves H-414. When I was working up a load for it years ago, I loaded 4350, 760, 4895 all with good results, but the 414 was phenomenal. I’ve shot many 4 shot ragged holes at 100 yds with it.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    It is huge combo,not simply the powder. There is never only one powder,bullet,primer,brass,for a certain gun. It is what of those and how you combine them all that makes a difference.
    Add to that - -> OAL of brass,COAL,neck tension,seating depth,how the brass was resized,etc,etc. and take your chances.
    This is why if I find a factory load that shoots great,I do not even bother to reload for the gun. But I have several guns that I have been using the same consumables in for 30 years. I still am using some of the old square cans of Hodgdon and steel cans of 760 and 748. --- SAWMAN

Norm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is huge combo,not simply the powder. There is never only one powder,bullet,primer,brass,for a certain gun. It is what of those and how you combine them all that makes a difference.
    Add to that - -> OAL of brass,COAL,neck tension,seating depth,how the brass was resized,etc,etc. and take your chances.
    This is why if I find a factory load that shoots great,I do not even bother to reload for the gun. But I have several guns that I have been using the same consumables in for 30 years. I still am using some of the old square cans of Hodgdon and steel cans of 760 and 748. --- SAWMAN
    Absolutely

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I’ve been wanting to try a Lee Loader for some time now.
    I’ve got one in 30/06 and one in 9mm supposed to be delivered tomorrow.
    I know it will be a while until I can find components but I did not overpay for the Loader so I can wait.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I most likely have some '06 powder to loan you or sell you.
    Come up with your prefered powders for your bullets then let me know.
    Might even have some great bullets for you to try. If they are 308 bullets,that's OK isn't it ?? Betcha I have some brass hideing somewhere amongst my "stuff" also.--- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The standard for 30-06 has been 4895 with a 150 grain for NRA highpower rifle shooters for many years. I see hunters like 165 bullet with enough power to make 2800 fps. You can with other powers get more velocity in a bolt gun. But 2800 for a 165 grain will kill anything that I am capable of hitting.

Top Bottom