• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If I were to offer them up for $100 each would I be a price gouger. Whatever I do, I really don't want to humiliate myself by ACTUALLY making any money off ya'll.

AND....if someone here said that they will take them, can I choose weather or not to sell to them simply based on who they are and weather or not I "like" them ??? ---- SAWMAN

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If I were to offer them up for $100 each would I be a price gouger. Whatever I do, I really don't want to humiliate myself by ACTUALLY making any money off ya'll.

AND....if someone here said that they will take them, can I choose weather or not to sell to them simply based on who they are and weather or not I "like" them ??? ---- SAWMAN

They are yours to sell at whatever price you want to whomever you like,I would just put "PM's only",then pick at your will..

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is it price gouging or supply and demand?

Contemplate this scenario first offered by Neal Boortz: There is a hurricane bearing down on Pensacola. A family with 2 kids and a mother in law leaves the area and rents a motel room in Birmingham. The guy rolls up to the manager and ask "how much are the rooms"? The reply is "$70 each and I have only 3 left". So the guy rents all 3, one for him and the misses, one for the kids and one for the mother in law. The next guy arrives to find no rooms available.

Option 2: The guy ask "how much for a room"? The reply is "$275 each". So the first guy thinks "I guess at those prices I can just get one room and fit everybody into it, it's just for a couple of nights". Then the next guy shows up, and there are 2 rooms still available, at $275 each but at least he gets a room and shelter from the storm.

This was Boortz's answer to price gouging during a disaster. Sure, you could ration things during a crisis but that also would drive up the cost.

I'm not supporting or bashing "price gouging" here, I'm just offering a different point of view on the subject. It is supply and demand that drives prices, not the sellers. The demand for hi cap mags and ARs is very high right now, but you can still find them. If the prices were the same pre-Sandy Hook there would be nothing to be had anywhere. You simply cast you opposition on the prices by not paying them. If everybody did that the prices would come down. But there's always the common human trait to "buy them all up before the greedy people can get'um".

Apologies for derailing your thread.

Rick

Last edited:

j74snook

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll pay one million dollars a piece for them there fine specimines of high cap mags. Even though the price for all gun related products have went up to double that but if you have a heart would you sell them at that price please!! lol sorry just couldnt help myself.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Hey Rick...this is my thread and you have my permission to "derail" it all you want with a dose of effin common sense. Your above post is something that I have never thought about before. This is also why I simply cannot understand why the mods will allow,and in fact add to,the "gouger" bashing.

As a seller I am not driving up the prices....makes sense. Right now I know where Glock mags can be had for some unreasonably LOW prices. (Don't ask me where cuz I am putting in another order this PM.)This,including the 33rd mags. Heres the thing...ask me to define LOW. Thing is...I just sold some stuff to finance the mags. WHAT.......?....shame on me ??????????

I'm gonna put my Glock 33rd mags up for sale in the near future. I will put a price of $150.00 each on them. If they sell fine....If not fine. I will gladly accept "offers" by PM ONLY. I will also guarantee the "lawyer/client privilege". It's kinda like gold isn't it. You buy my mags for $150 NOW...then you sell them for $200 in a couple of months. OR.......maybe not.

Thanks again for the above post Rick. We need some of the people on this forum to read it, and will be looking forward to their comments. ---- SAWMAN

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am not much of one to dicker with someone over price... either its a price I feel is fair in the current market and I buy it or its not and a let it go. I have shocked more than a few sales people when I got up and politely left the store after being given a price that it was expected that I would dicker with them on.

Ask whatever you value something at, if someone wants it bad enough they will buy it... if they don't they won't.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey Rick...this is my thread and you have my permission to "derail" it all you want with a dose of effin common sense. Your above post is something that I have never thought about before. This is also why I simply cannot understand why the mods will allow,and in fact add to,the "gouger" bashing.

As a seller I am not driving up the prices....makes sense. Right now I know where Glock mags can be had for some unreasonably LOW prices. (Don't ask me where cuz I am putting in another order this PM.)This,including the 33rd mags. Heres the thing...ask me to define LOW. Thing is...I just sold some stuff to finance the mags. WHAT.......?....shame on me ??????????

I'm gonna put my Glock 33rd mags up for sale in the near future. I will put a price of $150.00 each on them. If they sell fine....If not fine. I will gladly accept "offers" by PM ONLY. I will also guarantee the "lawyer/client privilege". It's kinda like gold isn't it. You buy my mags for $150 NOW...then you sell them for $200 in a couple of months. OR.......maybe not.

Thanks again for the above post Rick. We need some of the people on this forum to read it, and will be looking forward to their comments. ---- SAWMAN

I (we) do our best to remain neutral on these things and keep threads clean, I have not, and will not, restrict people from listing items at whatever price they think is appropriate.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks Bill, and yep, that's the law. If something's in high demand but low supply the prices naturally go up. This goes for firearms, magazines, ammo, gasoline, watermelons or anything there's a finite supply of. It's sort of a self rationing system without government interference and the bases for capitalism.

Rick

Last edited:

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    JLD.jpg :dance::music:I AM STARTING TO SEE THE SHINNING LIGHT :violin: :smokin: :tea: denzel.jpg

Attachments

• denzel.jpg
      denzel.jpg
      1.5 KB · Views: 131
    • collateral.jpg
      collateral.jpg
      3.2 KB · Views: 139
    • JLD.jpg
      JLD.jpg
      24.8 KB · Views: 135

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    This whole "price gouging" thing is a bit confusing to me. So, a few months ago 33 round Glock mags were $35. Some people bought them and some didn't. Now that they might be banned, EVERYBODY wants them. So, should the people that bought them at $35 sell them here at $35 even though they might be going for $100 somewhere else ?
    NO PRICE GOUGING HERE, everybody says but the ones that don't want to be "gouged" certainly don't have to buy and there might be some on here that do want them at that price.
    Meanwhile the guy who has some posts them elsewhere so that he doesn't look like a gouger to those that know him so the ones that want them are losing out.
    I've sold a few mags during this panic but didn't list them here or on PFF because I didn't want to listen to the "gouging" police. BUT, I wasn't going to sell them at last month's prices especially when my asking price might be a bargain by next month. The AR mags must've been price fairly since they sold within hours and I had 6 people in line.
    Sawman, if you get $150, send me your overflow.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    IMHO "gouging" is only happening if you are being FORCED to pay for something, such as taxes, fees or government mandated health insurance. Otherwise someone should be perfectly free to ask whatever they want for their item/service, it is their private property. It is also your right not to pay that price. This is how the law of supply and demand works, and works well when left to it's own with no outside interference.

If you didn't have the foresight to stockpile mags when the price was low and now have to pay 5X what the previous going rate was then it sucks to be you. And it sucks to be me because I didn't have the foresight to stockpile class III weapons when they were dirt cheap nor to buy gold at $30 an oz. You win some and you lose some.

Would I be getting gouged if I bought an ounce of gold today for $1700, when the seller only paid $300 for it? How about a class III M-16 for $15K when the seller may not even have $500 in it? No I wouldn't, because those prices are the "going rate". Nor would the sellers be forcing me to buy their ounce of gold or rifle.

There is a finite number of legal to own M-16s out there and a near infinate number of people desiring to own one. That is why the price is so high and who in their right mind would sell one for less than someone else is willing to pay? And there are people out there willing to pay $15K for a M-16. The next guy that comes along may be willing to pay $16K and then the value of the all the other rifles goes up accordingly, and the circle continues.

That students is the end of today's lecture on economics. Don't forget the test on Friday.

Rick

Last edited:

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    These cry babies had EIGHT YEARS to buy this stuff and they didn't. As shootnstarz said "sucks to be you." If you want them now you're going to pay the going price or you're not going to have them. No price gouging at all. They are worth what they are worth. Why didn't you stock up over the last eight years? Surely you knew this was going to happen. Not the shootings, but the fact that with Obama's first election win it was just a matter of time. It actually came faster than I thought it would, but at least I had the common sense to start stocking up years ago. I don't understand why these whiners and complainers didn't do the same. Since they didn't, if they want them now it's going to cost. Simple good ole American supply and demand. Gotta love it!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    For me....personally.....people here can charge whatever they want for anything that they are selling. I feel that I can ask legitimate questions about their sale item to establish if it is something that I would be willing to pay their asking price for. If our members would add all the info that they feel a buyer would need it would be "helpful". Put yourself in the buyers position. Some people here are very informed potential buyers. Especially with firearms.

If I am interested in the purchase of a centerfire rifle advertised here I will surely look up the stats of the weapon on line. However if the seller could start me out in the right direction it would be somewhat helpful. Barrel length,twist rate,contour,stainless or blued,mag cap,etc. would be much appreciated. AND.....post a pic. AND....where the weapon is located. MODS should enforce this or take it off the rules page.

If a member wants to ask a price for an item that they feel it is worth, it is(personally)fine with me. I will be putting my 6.8 up for sale in the future and it will be listed for an abnormally HUGE price. Please....don't hate on me.

Welldoya, I have talked to members here that were somewhat apprehensive about posting items for sale on this forum also. They do not want to be subjected to the "slams" that we have seen here for posting the price that THEY feel their item is worth at TODAYS prices. Personally...I will continue to sell here unless the situation gets worse then I will take my sales elsewhere. --- SAWMAN

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For me....personally.....people here can charge whatever they want for anything that they are selling. I feel that I can ask legitimate questions about their sale item to establish if it is something that I would be willing to pay their asking price for. If our members would add all the info that they feel a buyer would need it would be "helpful". Put yourself in the buyers position. Some people here are very informed potential buyers. Especially with firearms.

If I am interested in the purchase of a centerfire rifle advertised here I will surely look up the stats of the weapon on line. However if the seller could start me out in the right direction it would be somewhat helpful. Barrel length,twist rate,contour,stainless or blued,mag cap,etc. would be much appreciated. AND.....post a pic. AND....where the weapon is located. MODS should enforce this or take it off the rules page.

If a member wants to ask a price for an item that they feel it is worth, it is(personally)fine with me. I will be putting my 6.8 up for sale in the future and it will be listed for an abnormally HUGE price. Please....don't hate on me.

Welldoya, I have talked to members here that were somewhat apprehensive about posting items for sale on this forum also. They do not want to be subjected to the "slams" that we have seen here for posting the price that THEY feel their item is worth at TODAYS prices. Personally...I will continue to sell here unless the situation gets worse then I will take my sales elsewhere. --- SAWMAN

In all fairness I would venture to say that the rules have been "enforced" pretty well,as the number of complaints by members and reported posts can be counted on less than one hand with a community of more than 1000 members.I would certainly hope that anyone with any issues contact us about their concerns.I will agree with the fact that if you are not intrested in purchasing a listed item no negitive comments,or un necc. banter should be posted.If you do not like the price submit an offer via PM,or move on. ANYONE CAN POST ANYTHING FOR SALE AT ANY PRICE WITHOUT SCRUTINY,AS LONG AS A PRICE AND LOCATION ARE INCLUDED IN SALES POSTS,AND SAID ITEM IS POSTED IN THE APPROPRIATE FORUM FOR THE ITEM.
    We try not to censor any posts ,or overmoderate in any way,providing members with a platform to speak their mind,as long as respectfull,appropriate,and on subject with regard to OP's origional post purpose.( the latter applies to this thread as obviously we are no longer talking Glock mags).If for some reason a post is not seen by one of us that does not have a price or location posted,and that is the only and biggest problem we have, I would again say we are doing pretty well.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mods, I think you are doing very well. No problem here.
    But it seems that there are always some people that have something to say about an asking price. They know where it is cheaper, or saw it on sale last year at 25% less.
    Some people can't accept that it's a new dawn. Prices have changed.
    I lived thru the '94 ban so when it ended I went out and bought several 25 round 10/22 mags (my son loves 'em), half a dozen Glock 19 mags and a few 33 round 9mm Glock mags. I didn't hoard, that's just how many I wanted for personal use.
    I had stacked back (from when I owned those rifles), a couple of Mini 14 mags (sold 'em to a guy in south Florida just yesterday) and 20 or so GI mags for an AR-15. I sold a dozen GI mags for $25 each (they went quick) and kept the Colt branded mags just for posterity. They could be museum pieces one day.
    If the price goes absolutely insane, I will dump a few of the Glock mags and the rest of the GI mags but I doubt it will get to that point.
    Now, personally I think the guy that I sold my '67 Mustang to in 1979 for $700 should sell it back to me for that but I doubt he will.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well since I know I can still buy cheaper online or from others I just laugh at the stoopid prices. I just got 2 OEM 33rd new mags for $36ea and the AR prices over 1200 with no mods I can still get too. I just laugh at the price and move on as most of us do, let the gougers live with themselves, this is a temporary thing right now, when it becomes the standard price it is not gouging any longer. I have not sold anything yet but when I do the higher prices will be the normal and then I am not gouging, if the prices don't go up then I will have bought all my gear at normal pricing...

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Frank, you must have some great sources. Before I sold anything, I looked at all the normal on-line retail places and they were all out. Then I checked gunbroker to see what they were going for and priced beneath that. I really didn't want to "gouge" but did want to get near the going price.

Top Bottom