• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Its my understanding that hominy is corn soaked in lye to make an almost complete protein. Then the lye is blanched out. Boiled cornmeal is called cornmeal mush, i think
    I have eaten it in africa. In the english speaking parts of africa it is called mealy meal in raw form. It is very coarse and quickly goes bad with blue mold.
    I never like girts and found that salt along with other things makes it taste better. Hash browns taste better.

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    i am sorry. i am a friendly and non confrontational sort of fella but i will bow to no one when it comes to grits. i am a grit SNOB.
    grits are made of ground corn. period, end sentence.
    fun fact: in "the old days" when you took your corn to the mill for grinding you paid for each change of the stone wheel. the first grinding made chicken feed pretty much. the next two or three made grits. a couple more grindings made corn meal. the richest people ate foods made of corn meal. poor people saved money by only having their corn ground to grits.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Grits is made out of corn that has been hulled.

One way to hull Corn is with an alkali solution such as lye. There are other methods as well.

grinding corn makes corn meal - not grits.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For survival how do you all grind your corn. I know how the indians did it. Got to be a better way for sure.
    1597189128687.png

1597189180460.png

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

One way to hull Corn is with an alkali solution such as lye. There are other methods as well.

The Gist on Grits:from Old-mill.com
    The Difference Between Grits, Hominy, Cornmeal and Polenta

In the world of ground corn you first have the coarse and flavorful stone-ground grits like we produce at The Old Mill. We begin with white and yellow corn, ground between water-powered heavy stones to a texture deemed just right by our miller, Chuck Childers. We sift out the fine corn flour and send it over to our distiller Keener Shanton who uses this by-product to make bourbon. And the grits that remain are packaged to be sold or cooked in our Old Mill Restaurant and Pottery House Cafe. We like their rich and authentic corn flavor as well as their coarse texture, which is unique to freshly stone-ground grits.

Hominy grits, on the other hand, which we do not produce at The Old Mill, are made by first soaking dried corn kernels in an alkali solution to remove the outer hulls. This is a technique first used by Native Americans. The soaked corn kernels are then dried and ground. And to make matters a bit more complicated, in some parts of the South – the Carolinas – people refer to all grits as just “hominy.”

Cornmeal is any ground dried corn, and some cornmeal is more finely ground than others. We grind both white and yellow cornmeal here at The Old Mill, and we also make our own signature self-rising cornmeal with leavening added. In addition, we produce a cornmeal mix with both corn flour and leavening added, which is perfect for making cornbread.

Polenta, on the other hand, is an Italian style of ground yellow corn. The variety of corn is a bit different than what we use to make grits or our cornmeal. Polenta is cooked like grits, however, simmered into a mush and served like Southerners serve grits. And polenta can also be cooked, chilled, sliced and pan-fried like we make fried grits.

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

from Ground Corn 101: https://virginiawillis.com/ground-corn-101-cornmeal-and-grits/

Grits are ground corn, and like many porridges, such as oatmeal or rice, the ultimate comfort food. The term “grist,” meaning grain for milling, became “grits.”

Cornmeal is ground corn, as well – simply a much finer, flour-like grind. In an artisan grits mill, very often when the grits are ground, the larger pieces are sifted and labeled as grits and the smallest, finest grind that falls to the screen below is reserved as cornmeal.

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

and finally, from the bible of southern foods, https://www.southernliving.com/grains/grits/types-of-grits-old-fashioned-yellow-corn-quick-cooking

Stone-ground
    Stone-ground grits are made from whole dried corn kernels that have been coarsely ground the old-fashioned way: between the two stones of a grist mill. Because the entire kernel is ground, including the germ, stone-ground grits often have a speckled appearance, and a more toothsome texture and rich corn flavor. Stone-ground grits are less processed, which makes them more perishable, so store them in the freezer not the pantry.

Quick or Regular Grits
    The only difference between these types is in granulation. Quick grits are ground fine and cook in 5 minutes; regular grits are medium grind and cook in 10 minutes.
    Hominy Grits
    Hominy is made from corn kernels that have been soaked in a lime or lye solution which softens the tough outer hulls. Then, the kernels are rinsed to remove the outer hulls. Hominy is sold dried, ready-to-eat in cans (delicious in soups and stews), or dried and coarsely ground into hominy grits.

i left out the part about instant grits. we dont eat those in my house.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Crazy that a bunch of people who make money selling ground corn claim that it is grits...:)

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's times like these that I am so glad that I teach my children that food does not come from the grocery store!!!

For convenience, you sure can go get some food at the store! But that's not where it comes from and mine will know how to get their own food and grow their own food!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    We'll see how long it takes for the people that said they wanted a freshly killed feral hog,but ONLY if we GAVE it to them, . . processed,in meat wrap,to consider sliding one off my tailgate on to theirs.
    Most are lazy,got better things to do or "don't knoe how". --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We'll see how long it takes for the people that said they wanted a freshly killed feral hog,but ONLY if we GAVE it to them, . . processed,in meat wrap,to consider sliding one off my tailgate on to theirs.
    Most are lazy,got better things to do or "don't knoe how". --- SAWMAN
    Hunting food and growing food have one thing in common. There is just as much effort to prepare the food as there is to harvest it and the preparation is not as much fun.
    I will remember the general offer of a pig and when I am ready will ask and see what is available. That means I am ready help in anyway needed. I have to start canning first. My reading shows me that meat can be put away in mason jars and will keep a long time. But it is a lot of work for sure.
    The pig populations seem stable and they will likely be around for some time to come.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don’t profess to know how , but canning meat is doable. A older couple that lived down the road for me insisted that I take a couple of jars with beef in them to try . I had been supplying them with fresh catfish for a while and it was their way of thanking me. A few months later I got around to giving it a try and it was great tasting .

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don’t profess to know how , but canning meat is doable. A older couple that lived down the road for me insisted that I take a couple of jars with beef in them to try . I had been supplying them with fresh catfish for a while and it was their way of thanking me. A few months later I got around to giving it a try and it was great tasting .

Wendy Dewitt -- Food Storage Seminar, Part 6 of 9. "Pressure Canning Meat"
    Most of her seminars were originally presented in front of Mormon lady groups. The Mormon church used and I guess they still do urge their members to store some food and Wendy is their queen of food storage. They use to have a place in Mobile that sold such related and IIRC they would sell to anyone.
    The Black Muslims also use to preach food storage. I have no idea what they do now.

Top Bottom