• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Couple ways to think about the "growing a plot" thing. If you want to do a plot really right,you gotta fence it. No matter what you plant that actually comes up,if you got deer,they will cut if off when it gets a couple of inches tall. Either that, or stomp it down so that it is killed or stunted from growth/maturity.

Figure the cost of a plot...OR...a plot done right. Considerable,right ?? Now...figure the cost of feed,other than something actually growing. As stated,feeders will cost,batteries will cost,feeder poles will cost,solar chargers will cost. And tons of other stuff that you "always need".

Now figure out what you can put on your plot to draw the deer. Dry corn $7.50-$8.50 per 56lbs(bushel). Day old bread(they love it)$4.00 per sack of 22-24 loves. Sweet potatoes,$40-$50 per 1000lbs(hard to store). Corn gluten,rice brand,raw molasses,etc.

The deer will always want browse weather it is iron clay peas,clover,oats,rye grass,wheat,etc,etc. BUT.....I have seen them walk onto a beautifully green plot and eat ONLy sweet potatoes. Or only bread. Then walk off. Soooooo,if you dumped a truck full of any one or two things on your plot would you have every deer in the area there to target ?? Hell no. Deer know what they want...and when.

This year on one of my plots I will plant all kinds of super dooper stuff(for the wife). On my other plot that I usually sit, I will plant nothing. I will simply throw out clover and rye grass. Then supplement it with sweet potatoes,peanuts,ear corn,and dry corn from a slinger. I will see which works best. However,by far,not planting a plot is far easier,and possibly cheaper also.

Remember also. The bucks can hide in the thick stuff somewhere off your plot...but when the rut starts,if a doe in estrus is hungry and comes to your plot at noon time,the buck will be there also. I killed a nice buck two tears ago,at 1300,on my plot,following a doe.

Good Hunting To All. --- SAWMAN

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. I went out this morning with the intention of getting a camera back in the thick stuff. Well after I checked my current cams and got corn in the feeders, lightning was popping and I got the heck out of dodge. Got some cool pictures of a lot of critters over the last two weeks though. I'll post them in another thread.

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    sawman, I've done plots for many years and you are correct in most aspects of plot construction and maintenance.

but down deep in area's where you can't get conventional equipment to manicure the elements, you must do what
    you can.

that's how my son and I do it. where most folks do there thing, we are much further in bottoms and cuts
    where no one goes.

corn, rice bran and sweet taters are great. but apples, persimmons and peanuts are much more desireable
    in the area's down deep where we hunt.

we even rake up acorns from our property and carry out to creek bottoms and broadcast.

it works well and it is always worth it.

just goes to show folks that there is no fixed way to plot hunt.

we just make ours much closer to there area's. not making them travel as far,
    so they feel contempt with there environment.

imagination is the best formula for the freezer !!!!

"you can tempt the hunted, but they always will be more intelligent than the hunter"
    R.E. Hurst Sr. my father, and my best friend. 1975

Last edited:

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So TP, how did all this go for you last year, what are you going to do differently this year?

Left that club and going clubless this year. Haha. Time and money did not let me stay in or get into another club. My plot and work paid off big for the piggies. I think I shot 6 hogs all of decent size last year. And two little piglets for whole cooking. I got no bucks and got those in BW. Another reason I moved on from that club. But I will miss all the pork. I'm on the waiting list for a very good club in Walnut Hill. I was a guest there last year and shot my 10 point buck there. It was my first bow kill too. So I think it's back to basics and public land hunting for me for a while. I'm pretty decent at it and can fill the freezer doing it. And it's a lot less prep work and no corn bill either.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well that is the way things go sometimes. My freezer was so full of pork I could not kill another hog...LOL Finally getting it whittled down again. Good Luck this year!

Top Bottom