HD Tactical

Pattern question on 2 3/4" versus 3" buckshot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been patterning or attempting to pattern my shotgun and I have currently used both the Federal blue box 3" 4 buck with 41 pellets (standard led non plated), Federal red box 3" 4 buck with 41 pellets (copper plated lead) both are buffered and have a wad, 3" Remington Express 41 pellets ( buffered lead no wad).). I have shot these out of a full choke and the Carlson coyote choke and have very irregular results. I am using a Remington 870 with a 26" barrel. At 20 yards all shells pattern about the same with both chokes. All pellets are in a 10"x 10" square but when I get out to 40 yards the shot will string vertically or horizontally with both chokes and all loads. I still get vital hits on a coyote size silhouette but those patterns do not seem uniform. Not a circle pattern like 20 yards. Not I am new to the shotgun world and this is my 2nd year coyote hunting and now my shotgun is my go to weapon because I normally hunt where the farthest shot will be 50 yards generally no farther than 40 yards but is this normal? I have read countless forums and threads where people will say they have 60%-75% of pellets hitting a pie plate at 40 yards but I have yet to get that. Do you think going down to 2 3/4 will help that out? Looking from a physics stand point it seems like a 2 3/4 load would pattern better than 3" because you are forcing less shot in a smaller area thus less deforming of shot but I don't want to spend more money than I already have on this. I just want y'alls opinion before I go out spending more money and more time. Has anyone ever tried patterning buckshot? If so what are y'alls results? Just trying to find a combo that will be uniform so I can get clean kills on coyotes. The last thing I want to do is cripple an animal.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Simple answer to the "problem". Pattern Master choke tube.

For the larger shot down to "BB" or even #2 shot,in either 2 3/4 or 3 inch you will not get any flyers. I have one of these for my Benelli M1 Super 90 and have put tons of the old "BB" shot (lead) on yotes at 70yds. The internal fingers of the choke grab the wad and slow it dow enough for the shot to be seperated from the shot cup and spit out more uniformly(IMO).

My Pttern Master works great with the #4 buck loads that are 3",copper plated,and buffered. ---SAWMAN

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Simple answer to the "problem". Pattern Master choke tube.

For the larger shot down to "BB" or even #2 shot,in either 2 3/4 or 3 inch you will not get any flyers. I have one of these for my Benelli M1 Super 90 and have put tons of the old "BB" shot (lead) on yotes at 70yds. The internal fingers of the choke grab the wad and slow it dow enough for the shot to be seperated from the shot cup and spit out more uniformly(IMO).

My Pttern Master works great with the #4 buck loads that are 3",copper plated,and buffered. ---SAWMAN

What line of pattern master are you using? Classic, Code Black, or Anaconda? and they also come in mid and long range? Also is there a difference between ported and non ported? Just like to know before I spend $80. And thank you.

Last edited:

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Try a Mod. choke. Back when we had some one having pattern problem with a full choke, we would start open up the choke a little bet at a time. just my 5 cents jj

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have had my PM choke tube for almost 20 years now. I have long since lost the paperwork that came with it ..... however I suspect that back then they only had one style. In fact,IIRC the only gauge choke they offered was 12ga. I believe that my choke will fit a Beretta also. {?}

Mine was ordered from Cabela's and originally was all stainless. I painted the end black so as not to give away my position as I swung the gun. Believe it or not,I missed getting a shot at quite a few yotes before I figured out what was blowing my cover. Crows can see this also.

I cannot tell you any other name or info that was associated with this choke. The choke you see has 15 ports and four internal "fingers" that grab the wad to slow it down. I remember that at the time it was advertised to cut down/eliminate flyers and "especially designed" for steel or large lead shot. This choke will also improve the pattern of my hand loads of 1.5oz of #8's which is my crow load. Also copper plated and buffered 3" #6 shot that I used for turkey. --- SAWMAN
    Added For Info: JJ is absolutely right. Sometimes a more open choke will give a somewhat tighter pattern with less flyers than a more closed choke. I have seen guns throw a tighter pattern of buckshot with a mod tube over a full tube.

Attachments

• DSC01097.JPG
      DSC01097.JPG
      180 KB · Views: 163
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom