• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Most on-line places have to charge sales taxes, which is fine but when they hide it during checkout and you only learn about it when you either look up order on their site or see credit card, that’s BS! One place I’ve bought many times from: Grabag—!

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I used to order online quite a bit. The tax thing is fairly recent. They used to never charge it.
    I mostly ordered from Grabagun & PSA. Both would have great sales.
    Since Covid, Grabagun has gotten kinda Cheaper than Dirtish. Haven’t seen a deal in 2 years.

tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I used to order online quite a bit. The tax thing is fairly recent. They used to never charge it.
    I mostly ordered from Grabagun & PSA. Both would have great sales.
    Since Covid, Grabagun has gotten kinda Cheaper than Dirtish. Haven’t seen a deal in 2 years.
    Yeah, hadn’t dealt with them for a few years till today! Cheaper than Dirtish is the worst thing that could ever happen to anyone!

Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I stumbled across a site that I ordered my .308 parts from, Wing Tactical. They were easy to work with and give LE, military and first responder discounts. I might be late to the party but there prices were in line and shipping was fast.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    There are still good places online to purchase firearms without paying sales tax...I just did it last week. I don't know how they're able to do it but they do.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    In 2018 the Supreme Court allowed for state sales tax to be charged. However, they left it up to the individual states to require collection. In other words the states must pass a law to require the collection of their tax. Florida passed such a law effective July 1, 2021. So if you made a purchase and were not charged state sales tax one of two things are true. 1) The state of residence does not have a law in place that requires it, Florida does. Or 2) the seller is going to be in for a huge surprise when it comes time to file their state taxes. What is unclear to me is where the notification burden lays. It's pretty much the law of the internet to charge state sales tax. What is suppose to happen is the seller must keep up with every state's laws they sell in plus any rate changes that apply and charge and remit to the state the purchaser resides accordingly. I told my kids a long time ago, if you want job security become an accountant.

Last edited:

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    I have noticed that a few orders I've done omit the tax on the online sale, but it's on the email confirmation (invoice/receipt)

tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good info! The internet makes it very easy to compare prices between the various on-line stores! I’m sure the sales tax issue cause places to lose sales! So places that are willing to deceive buyers, they hide the taxes and the total when checking out! I’m sure it’s “legal” but what’s legal and what’s right often is not the same! Also, if they are only interested in one time buyers, then I suppose they will be fine, but if they want return customers, they need to be honest and up front with their charges!

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Good price, Great 1911.
    Thanks. Now if I can actually receive it...Sent by Priority mail, it has been in USPS limbo nearly a week...hopefully delivery will be Monday.

Regarding the retroactive tax comment, that won't happen. I've ordered from them (and others),after FL signed up, without paying sales tax. The how/why of it I don't know.

Last edited:

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Thanks. Now if I can actually receive it...Sent by Priority mail, it has been in USPS limbo nearly a week...hopefully delivery will be Monday.

Regarding the retroactive tax comment, that won't happen. I've ordered from them (and others),after FL demanded it, without paying sales tax. The how/why of it I don't know.
    I ordered from the one time and their shipping was slow. It took a month to get my goods.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    It would be against the law to charge sales tax retroactively. Your credit card can only be charged what you agreed to.
    Locked and loaded will be paying all that sales tax they didn't charge the customer. All companies will. The government gets their cut regardless where it comes from.

It is a very precise task to charge the correct tax. We do business with companies in MS, FL, AL, and GA. There are 4 or 5 books to go through to make sure you charge the company you are billing the correct tax. In some cases each county has a special tax rate. AL has different tax laws for billing travel time and labor as well as materials. If it's charged wrong the company pays it all in the end.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Locked & loaded shipped well within their clearly-stated processing time, so I have no problem with them at all. The package was set for delivery last week when it suddenly seemed to drop off the USPS tracking radar. It finally reappeared in Pensacola yesterday. Not the merchant's fault.

Again, I do not know why sales tax was not added, but I do know other merchants that do not add it either. I also don't know whether these merchants pay the states or not. All I know is sales tax was not added to my charge.

I know all about collecting sales tax from different shipping jurisdictions. I ran a small business (military art print gallery) years ago while living in Alabama. I had to collect sales tax on local sales as well as in-state shipments. I kept a binder of rates from different cities/counties, and the state drove me crazy by constantly sending me updates/changes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom