• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DrifterFisher

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    1940s vintage Mossberg Model 144 target. 28" bull barrel. The possums and tree rats around here fear it. It's weird but our of the dozen or so different types of ammo I tried it likes Mini-Mags and Stiingers the best.

This is not mine in the picture but it's identical except that I have a scope and my barrel is thicker.

Those are good shooters for sure. Mini-Mags are my go to for initial sight ins for new rimfires, well those or Blazers,the have the same POI/POA in most guns.If you ever get into 10/22's Tac-sol (I think) makes a barrel just for mini mags/velocitors and one just for the stingers. I think the stinger barrel is 1/18 twist. I know it takes a ton of tuning to get an auto loader to shoot anywhere near as good as most bolt guns. I have an old remington single shot that is stupid accurate,and thats with irons. I have considered drilling and tapping it for a scope,but its just a fun plinker and all original.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have two 10/22s, one I bought in 1970 and a 2012 model. I have messed with the newer one and got it shooting under an inch at 50 yards. It likes mini-mags and stingers too but does good enough with the Blazers. That's good enough for me. I'm not putting $1500 into a 10/22. If I am spending that much I'll just buy an Annie.

I spent a couple of days with the newer 10/22 and the Mossberg building me a chart of POI with different ammo. Most people don't realize that at 50 yards the POI can easily change 2" just by changing ammo. Now I can pick my ammo, dial it in on the scope, and have squirrel for lunch.

DrifterFisher

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have you shot any of the aquila 60grn yet? You mossy might like them enough to not keyhole. Talk about drop compared to say a Stinger, about 3+ inches at 50yds. I find them fun to play with,not a good hunting round for me though,to many keyholes. I prefer match or subsonic for hunting,doesn't seem to disturb the forest as much.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I tried a box of some of their match ammo. My guns did not like it. I had the targets where I did the POI tests with different ammo on the computer but I can't find them right now. Seems like they were throwing 2" groups at 50.

Top Bottom