• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikenjapan

Shooter
    The statutes say you can open carry while engaging or going to/from hunting and fishing activities. I’ve never understood open carry while not on uniformed duty, but to each their own. Would not try it personally, but it is there. Also in the statutes is the fact you don’t need any type of permit to conceal carry on your own curtilage.
    No permit needed to open carry anything on your own property.

woody morgan

Shooter
    "Pursuant to section 790.001(3)(a), a concealed weapon or concealed firearm means a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie. It does not include a machine gun as defined in section 790.001(9), Florida Statutes."

I don't see where rifles and shotguns are excluded.
    I mean, if you're built like Shaq, more power to ya.

wm

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    "Pursuant to section 790.001(3)(a), a concealed weapon or concealed firearm means a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie. It does not include a machine gun as defined in section 790.001(9), Florida Statutes."

I don't see where rifles and shotguns are excluded.
    I mean, if you're built like Shaq, more power to ya.

wm

Reading comprehension is real.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Reading comprehension is real.
    Reading statutes is certainly a skill. It’s not like anything else, for sure!

WM, when it says “a concealed weapon or a concealed firearms means a handgun…” that excludes rifles and shotguns. Machine guns have to be specifically excluded because as far as the law is concerned they are their own category.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Reading statutes is certainly a skill. It’s not like anything else, for sure!

WM, when it says “a concealed weapon or a concealed firearms means a handgun…” that excludes rifles and shotguns. Machine guns have to be specifically excluded because as far as the law is concerned they are their own category.

Yep, anytime a statute contains a definitions portion it pays to read that part first... and when you see something like "for the purposes of this statute"... that means things are about to be defined slightly differently than one might think, both in an inclusion fashion as well as an exclusion fashion.

Reactions: FLT

sloporsche

Master
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    How about an etiquette gun question now.........You have your pistol and your CC permit ,in your car IWB belly gun and you get pulled over for say traffic anything and you are probably going to need to show ID etc ......is it liked by cops if you tell them right away you are armed . I need to unbuckle my seat belt to get to my papers in my pocket and the weapon is right there covered by my shirt .

mrjenkins

Expert
    I do have one more question I can find no info on. Is it legal to conceal carry in your car without a ccw?

mrjenkins

Expert
    The only reason I'm even asking here is because the statutes are confusing to me and I'm finding mixed results across the board.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    How about an etiquette gun question now.........You have your pistol and your CC permit ,in your car IWB belly gun and you get pulled over for say traffic anything and you are probably going to need to show ID etc ......is it liked by cops if you tell them right away you are armed . I need to unbuckle my seat belt to get to my papers in my pocket and the weapon is right there covered by my shirt .

I'd appreciate it but wouldn't get all worked up if you didn't say something and I somehow realize/discover later you are armed.

But... I'm comfortable with people being armed whereas many cops are not.

FLT

Master
    I’ve found that attitude has a direct effect on the out come of an encounter with Law Enforcement .Politeness and curtesy will most often benefit you in a positive way. The sentence , I have a concealed carry license and a firearm will usually result in less drama than just saying , I have a gun.

sloporsche

Master
    I do have one more question I can find no info on. Is it legal to conceal carry in your car without a ccw?
    There were too many "what if" questions over this car legal issue for me ....getting the cc license cleared it up i think . Are you moving permanently to fla ? I posted the florida phone number for CC questions too ......850/245-5691. Its my understanding that I can wear CC my loaded gun in the car if i have a CC license

sloporsche

Master
    I’ve found that attitude has a direct effect on the out come of an encounter with Law Enforcement .Politeness and curtesy will most often benefit you in a positive way. The sentence , I have a concealed carry license and a firearm will usually result in less drama than just saying , I have a gun.
    always......attitude attitude attitude determines how many tickets

Bowhntr6pt

Master

Florida law says...

(4) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.—

(a) Notwithstanding s. 790.01, a person 18 years of age or older who is in lawful possession of a handgun or other weapon may possess such a handgun or weapon within the interior of a private conveyance if the handgun or weapon is securely encased or otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. A person who possesses a handgun or other weapon as authorized under this paragraph may not carry the handgun or weapon on his or her person.

(b) This subsection does not prohibit a person from carrying a:

1. Legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use; or

2. Concealed weapon or concealed firearm on his or her person while in a private conveyance if he or she is authorized to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm under s. 790.01(1).

(c) This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

You can CC in your car if you're 21 and older. You still have to "qualify" to carry CC under FSS 790.01, which isn't the same as "licensed" under FSS 790.01.

Under 21 still have to abide by (4)(a) as noted above.

ETA- TO BE CLEAR... a person still has to meet the QUALIFICATIONS for CC in order to CC, you just don't have to actually have the CC License to do so. Hope that makes better sense. Just because a CC License is not required, does not mean the statutory qualifications to do so, except actual licensure, are null and void.

Last edited:

mrjenkins

Expert
    Does that mean I need to take a training class to do it? Because one of the qualifications for a ccw is taking a class.

MAXman

Master
    I want to carry my pistol in the state, what do I need to do to do it legally? I'm from arizona. In arizona I didn't need anything whatsoever to open carry or conceal carry. I've open carried rifles walking on the side walk of main roads in arizona. I understand you cannot do that here and it's concealed only. But my question is what do I need to do to do it legally? Also I heard there is a waiting period to buy a gun?
    Yes, you paid probably double what your house is actually worth.
    Your insurance will be insanely high.
    I really hope you don’t have a loan with an interest rate.

Basically stuff whatever you currently own in your pants, so long as it isn’t stamped and you aren’t a felon. If you’re fishing or camping or whatever hang it off your belt.

Feel free to by whatever and spend whatever on whichever license whoever sells. Whenever it’s sold. However you can. That’s the 4 w and an h, right?

You’re gonna love it here so long as you can get over guys like me living, and mowing(in their underwear) 2 doors down. Wherever you may live.

Also yes we ride alligators and hunt pit bulls and everyone owns a Taurus.

Best beaches in the world

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Does that mean I need to take a training class to do it? Because one of the qualifications for a ccw is taking a class.

No. That's an oversight on my part as well as the over 21 part, see below.

The new language did away with the Training Requirement, it also allows for under 21 to :"qualify" if Active Military, Honorably Discharged, or currently in the Guard/Reserves.

Because we still have some "requirements" to CC, we don't have true Constitutional carry.

790.01 Carrying of concealed weapons or concealed firearms.—

(1) A person is authorized to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm, as that term is defined in s. 790.06(1), if he or she:

(a) Is licensed under s. 790.06; or

(b) Is not licensed under s. 790.06, but otherwise satisfies the criteria for receiving and maintaining such a license under s. 790.06(2)(a)-(f) and (i)-(n), (3), and (10).

Note that (h) is not included, which was the competence requirement.

Last edited:

mrjenkins

Expert
    Okay. Thank you for clearing that up. I couldn't find what I was looking for or found some fairly confusing and contradictory results. You've been a big help. I'm gonna continue to look at the statutes and see if there is anything left I don't understand

sloporsche

Master
    I took the class at my LGS /range 3/4 hour classroom and 25 round range testing about 75 bucks usually taught by a re-tired cop so ask away to them . State fee is about 120.00 and 30 days or more wait time iirc GET THE LICENSE

Top Bottom