• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjenkins

Expert
    I want to carry my pistol in the state, what do I need to do to do it legally? I'm from arizona. In arizona I didn't need anything whatsoever to open carry or conceal carry. I've open carried rifles walking on the side walk of main roads in arizona. I understand you cannot do that here and it's concealed only. But my question is what do I need to do to do it legally? Also I heard there is a waiting period to buy a gun?

fla kid

Marksman
    As I understand No open carry. 3 day wait for handguns unless you havea permit. do not need permit to concel carry.
    still need to follow all old rules and reg . so get a copy of regs and read... hope this helps

sloporsche

Master
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    I moved from nj to fla 9 months ago as soon as i established residency here i went to my lgs and took a class for a CC license then applied to the state ....very easy process and i recommend it rather than the constitutional carry ,with the license there is no wait on purchase too. There is no open carry in fla but i guess you could carry an AK under a full length trench coat .

M60Gunner

Master
    The statutes say you can open carry while engaging or going to/from hunting and fishing activities. I’ve never understood open carry while not on uniformed duty, but to each their own. Would not try it personally, but it is there. Also in the statutes is the fact you don’t need any type of permit to conceal carry on your own curtilage.

Reactions: FLT

ABlaster

Marksman
    I moved from nj to fla 9 months ago as soon as i established residency here i went to my lgs and took a class for a CC license then applied to the state ....very easy process and i recommend it rather than the constitutional carry ,with the license there is no wait on purchase too. There is no open carry in fla but i guess you could carry an AK under a full length trench coat .
    As long as it was classified as a handgun. I can’t remember if it’s in statute, administrative rule, or case law but you can’t carry a concealed rifle or shotgun.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    There is no open carry in fla but i guess you could carry an AK under a full length trench coat .

You can't CC a long gun...

790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or concealed firearm.—
    (1)(a) For the purposes of this section, the term “concealed weapon or concealed firearm” means a handgun, electric weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie, but does not include a machine gun as that term is defined in s. 790.001.

FSS 790.25(2)(h) says open carry, among other things, is lawful when:

(h) A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;

GlockGuy87

The Prepared One
    GCGF Supporter
    Escaped the country of California to freedom Florida. You actually dont need to be a resident to obtain a Florida Concealed permit. Just go in to the Tax Collector and start the process. They’ll require you to have taken some classes, look through the website first if you wanna be prepared.

mrjenkins

Expert
    This is what I've found. Here is a link for reference. Says They are out of jacksonville https://www.jaxsheriff.org/Resources/PermitlessCarry.aspx

Constitutional (Permitless) Carry of Concealed Weapons
    Starting July 1, 2023, new legislation takes effect in the state of Florida which authorizes a person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm pursuant to a valid concealed weapons license or without a concealed weapons license provided that the criteria for obtaining a license is met.

Pursuant to section 790.001(3)(a), a concealed weapon or concealed firearm means a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie. It does not include a machine gun as defined in section 790.001(9), Florida Statutes.

Eligibility Requirements​

A person is eligible for a concealed firearms license, and under the new law may carry without a CWL, if he or she satisfies all of the following requirements:
    • Must carry a government issued ID (e.g. REAL ID) and display it upon demand by an officer;
    • Must be a United States resident and citizen or hold a permanent resident status;
    • Must be 21 years of age or older;
    • Does not have any physical aliments preventing the safe handling of a weapon or firearm;
    • Not prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm as a result of a prior conviction for a felony offense or other provision of Florida or federal law or set by the court system;
    • Has not been committed under Florida State Statutes, Chapter 397, for abusing a controlled substance;
    • Does not chronically and habitually use alcoholic beverages to the extent that his or her normal faculties are impaired;
    • Not in possession of drugs / controlled substance while actively carrying a concealed weapon;
    • Has not been adjudicated an incapacitated person in a guardianship proceeding;
    • Has not been committed to a mental institution under Florida State Statute, Chapter 394;
    • Has not had an adjudication of guilt withheld or imposition of sentence suspended on any felony or one or more misdemeanor crimes of violence, unless three years have lapsed since probation or any other conditions set by court have been fulfilled or the record has been expunged;
    • Does not have current injunctions in force for domestic or repeat violence
    Now a 3 day wait will probably make me want to get that ccw. Sounds irritating to me. I've never waited longer then 10 min coming from az.

mrjenkins

Expert
    Does that sound accurate to those of you who have been here a long time? I'm trying to make the responsible choice to carry my gun. But I'm kinda nervous to since I have an arizona license still and I'm not versed on Florida law.

GlockGuy87

The Prepared One
    GCGF Supporter
    This is what I've found. Here is a link for reference. Says They are out of jacksonville https://www.jaxsheriff.org/Resources/PermitlessCarry.aspx

Constitutional (Permitless) Carry of Concealed Weapons
    Starting July 1, 2023, new legislation takes effect in the state of Florida which authorizes a person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm pursuant to a valid concealed weapons license or without a concealed weapons license provided that the criteria for obtaining a license is met.

Pursuant to section 790.001(3)(a), a concealed weapon or concealed firearm means a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie. It does not include a machine gun as defined in section 790.001(9), Florida Statutes.

Eligibility Requirements​

A person is eligible for a concealed firearms license, and under the new law may carry without a CWL, if he or she satisfies all of the following requirements:
    • Must carry a government issued ID (e.g. REAL ID) and display it upon demand by an officer;
    • Must be a United States resident and citizen or hold a permanent resident status;
    • Must be 21 years of age or older;
    • Does not have any physical aliments preventing the safe handling of a weapon or firearm;
    • Not prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm as a result of a prior conviction for a felony offense or other provision of Florida or federal law or set by the court system;
    • Has not been committed under Florida State Statutes, Chapter 397, for abusing a controlled substance;
    • Does not chronically and habitually use alcoholic beverages to the extent that his or her normal faculties are impaired;
    • Not in possession of drugs / controlled substance while actively carrying a concealed weapon;
    • Has not been adjudicated an incapacitated person in a guardianship proceeding;
    • Has not been committed to a mental institution under Florida State Statute, Chapter 394;
    • Has not had an adjudication of guilt withheld or imposition of sentence suspended on any felony or one or more misdemeanor crimes of violence, unless three years have lapsed since probation or any other conditions set by court have been fulfilled or the record has been expunged;
    • Does not have current injunctions in force for domestic or repeat violence
    Now a 3 day wait will probably make me want to get that ccw. Sounds irritating to me. I've never waited longer then 10 min coming from az.
    Yeah, definitely get the license and don’t wait 3 days. Coming from California - 10 day waiting period - I said absolutely no more waiting for me

GlockGuy87

The Prepared One
    GCGF Supporter
    I want to carry my pistol in the state, what do I need to do to do it legally? I'm from arizona. In arizona I didn't need anything whatsoever to open carry or conceal carry. I've open carried rifles walking on the side walk of main roads in arizona. I understand you cannot do that here and it's concealed only. But my question is what do I need to do to do it legally? Also I heard there is a waiting period to buy a gun?
    Obviously we’re just chatting here, not legal advise. That being said the same thing comes up when I ask that question which is this:

“The state is now “permitless carry.” A resident, or non-resident, of Florida is eligible to carry a concealed firearm in public if they would otherwise meet the eligibility criteria for obtaining a Florida concealed carry permit”

GlockGuy87

The Prepared One
    GCGF Supporter
    Obviously we’re just chatting here, not legal advise. That being said the same thing comes up when I ask that question which is this:

“The state is now “permitless carry.” A resident, or non-resident, of Florida is eligible to carry a concealed firearm in public if they would otherwise meet the eligibility criteria for obtaining a Florida concealed carry permit”
    So as long as your ducks are in a row and you’re otherwise qualified, go for it

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Does that sound accurate to those of you who have been here a long time? I'm trying to make the responsible choice to carry my gun. But I'm kinda nervous to since I have an arizona license still and I'm not versed on Florida law.

Our statutes are easily accessible on line… read them and educate yourself vs. asking strangers on the internet.

As you can see, there’s already wrong speculation posted.

Bottom line… no general open carry. No license required to CC a pistol, but know the places you can’t carry in.

FLT

Master

I’d pay attention to what Bowhuntr6pt says. He’s been enforcing the laws of the State of Florida more than two decades. He’s also a gun guy and has taught and hosted many advanced gun and defense classes.

tros6t

Marksman
    The statutes say you can open carry while engaging or going to/from hunting and fishing activities. I’ve never understood open carry while not on uniformed duty, but to each their own. Would not try it personally, but it is there. Also in the statutes is the fact you don’t need any type of permit to conceal carry on your own curtilage.
    Yeah, I’ve seen good arguments for both open and concealed, however I agree! I’d not open carry for a number of reasons! The biggest is I do not want to be the first target! I want to blend in with the sheep and if the shooting starts, well you get it!

sloporsche

Master
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    Yeah, I’ve seen good arguments for both open and concealed, however I agree! I’d not open carry for a number of reasons! The biggest is I do not want to be the first target! I want to blend in with the sheep and if the shooting starts, well you get it!
    and i do not want some one jackin mine by me showing them were its at , i try to hide it the best i can even protecting /shielding my gun side and keeping my head on a swivel

Top Bottom