• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RidgeRunner

It's only original once
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    What are your thoughts on gas vs inertia ? I was wanting to try an inertia but like the tact wood gas version because of full tube extension.

Attachments

• MAC_21000122_VERTICAL__34738.jpg
      MAC_21000122_VERTICAL__34738.jpg
      74.2 KB · Views: 18
    • MAC_21000155_Left__79995.jpg
      MAC_21000155_Left__79995.jpg
      47.2 KB · Views: 21
    Last edited:

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    What are your thoughts on gas vs inertia ? I was wanting to try an inertia but like the tact wood gas version because of full tube extension.

From what read the MAC 2 inertia SG is less reliable with target loads and does no shoot as soft as the gasser.

Both come limited to 5 rounds and both can be changed to 7-1 or 8-1 with a ghost load.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Ok, more testing... these function 100% and felt stout for supposedly being 1200 FPS.

As expected, these Winchester 1 oz. Super-Target "XTRA-LITE TARGET LOAD" loads at 1180 FPS are about 80% plus... great to mix in for stoppage drills actually.

Same with this load, also Winchester Super-Target "HEAVY TARGET LOAD" but 1200 FPS and 1 1/8oz.

So far, they only iffy bird-shot loads are the two Winchester offerings shown above.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Ok... these bulk-pack shells also function 100%.

At this point, seems any "GAME LOAD" at 3 Dram or more work fine. Seems they are 1200 FPS and faster.

These are the UNIVERSAL GAME AND TARGET loads not the SUPER TARGET loads, both are sold at Wal-Mart in bulk packs.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    when I first got my M1 it wouldn't cycle those Winchester loads...it does now...give it some time.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    when I first got my M1 it wouldn't cycle those Winchester loads...it does now...give it some time.

So far the only ones it won't cycle 100% are the light target loads that are advertised as being at or below 1200 FPS vs. giving Dr. Eq. data.

Fortunately out of the thirty or so bulk pack boxes in my stash I only have three or four of them, the rest have passed the test. But those are fine for pump-gun fun.

Now when I do my periodic Wal-Mart scan for ammo I know which ones to look for.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    115   0   0
    I think the recommended "break in" period of 100-200 round of stout loads is to relieve some tension on the recoil springs. I know it's not as much fun but would it benefit and possibly shorten the break in to store it with the bolt in the open or rear position? With the bolt open it's facilitating relaxing the springs in a similar manner as firing but without the cost or search for the ammo that it likes. The only semi auto shot gun I own I bought used so a break in period was not needed.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I think the recommended "break in" period of 100-200 round of stout loads is to relieve some tension on the recoil springs. I know it's not as much fun but would it benefit and possibly shorten the break in to store it with the bolt in the open or rear position? With the bolt open it's facilitating relaxing the springs in a similar manner as firing but without the cost or search for the ammo that it likes. The only semi auto shot gun I own I bought used so a break in period was not needed.

I'm just going to make sure I buy the 3dram eq. + type bird/game loads as the prices at Wally World are fairly close. Some of the more fancy lighter loads, like the AA brand, are more expensive.

I've got perhaps 3000+ rounds anyway so I'm good... but, like I mentioned in a different post, I'm constantly stopping by Wally World and grabbing a box or two here and there... I got three more bulk packs yesterday in fact to add to my hoarding lol.

About the only commercial ammo I buy anymore is 12ga. (gave up on loading shotshells) and .22LR. Everything else I make my own.

From what I've read about the science behind springs is it's the "working" of springs that leads to wear, not static compression so I don't think leaving the bolt locked to the rear will accomplish any measurable results.

Top Bottom