New Blog: Red Dots vs. Iron Sights: Which Is Better for Handguns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    I wonder how all the electronic sights will works after an EMP? I'll bet iron sights or a Nikon Scope will still work! I don't hate red dots I just don't think they are the end all solution.
    EMP, good question. And if shtf and you run out of batteries for those w/o a solar capacity, but then you should still have the iron sights. Light transmitting scope optics are not too compatible with inside the waist band appendix carry of a G19.

FrommerStop

Master
    EMPs I wonder if it would affect the electronics inside of my house. I have a steel roof and pieces of rebar in all of the cells of the concrete blocks. So I do not know it will get through or not?

Shootist

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    you will miss us old fudds when we are no more and you are the new old fudds refusing to shoot plasma pulse weapons because your 6mm gretel/creep most is better
    Probably 100 years down the road after iron sites disappear, someone will reinvent them and tout them as why do you need a red dot and worry about batteries. Just use these new sites that fit on your weapon and require no power to use.

Whats new is old whats old is new.

FrommerStop

Master
    Probably 100 years down the road after iron sites disappear, someone will reinvent them and tout them as why do you need a red dot and worry about batteries. Just use these new sites that fit on your weapon and require no power to use.

Whats new is old whats old is new.
    100 yrs from now batteries that need to be changed out may no longer exist for low power applications.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    I have never handled, much less fired a handgun with any type of optic. None of my handguns are set up to accommodate one and I wouldn't know where to start anyway.

Shootist

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    I have never handled, much less fired a handgun with any type of optic. None of my handguns are set up to accommodate one and I wouldn't know where to start anyway.
    And chances are you don't need one and could outshoot most people with one.
    (upsets them something fierce is you say something like that)

FLT

Master
    Guessing what will be 100 years from now is optimistic at best. Man kind will self destruct long before then.

FLT

Master
    All kidding aside, dots are more accurate and faster to use. Most of my younger gung-ho friends use them and are proficient with them at longer ranges. But most men my age and older will not be doing any heroic gun fighting, if they shoot anyone it will likely be at 10 feet or less , probably it will be point blank with power burns .

sloporsche

Master
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    All kidding aside, dots are more accurate and faster to use. Most of my younger gung-ho friends use them and are proficient with them at longer ranges. But most men my age and older will not be doing any heroic gun fighting, if they shoot anyone it will likely be at 10 feet or less , probably it will be point blank with power burns .
    bad breath range mostly because i could not hear them until they got into that range

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    Sorry, I had to kick the ant pile again as I was browsing thru...
    I still have a gen 1 M&P9 with irons that will always stay irons because I know practice requires it.

Top Bottom