APOD Firearms

Need help with purchasing a AR for deer hunting.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyler0421

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Looking to get into the AR hype but I know pretty much nothing about them. I had planned on buying my wife a rifle to start hunting this year but figured hey if I could by a AR that she/we could use for deer hunting I could use it as my excuse to get one. So where do I start. I've looked at 100 different websites and don't know where to begin. What caliber would be best? I'm thinking 6.8 but need some feedback.(again don't know much about these calibers either). Is 6.8 a good caliber for a woman shooting? I'm thinking I need at least a 18" barrel if not a 20"+?? Any recommendations?

b747fp

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know a lot of people have had at lot of good experience with 6.8, but it's not a cheap round. I would think something with a free float barrel, and 20" barrel would be pretty good, and keep it lightweight enough so you're not carrying around a 10lb AR.

I have a DPMS Sportical in 5.56, that I have had zero problems with, and they retail for $600 at Wal-Mart.

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would recommend a an AR10 in .308 caliber. And would be great for ur wife because haveing a semi auto has less kick and .308 is about like a 30-30 kick in my opinion. And they do sell 5 round mags.Get a flat top so u can mount the scope closer to the barrel. Plus its a NATO round and that is always great for buying bulk suplus for plinking.I bought my Armalight AR10 new fromm Gold mine pawn shop, he ordered it and it was @$1200ish.And going AR style means plenty of availible upgrades and modifications.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Hmm, I recommend my .223/5.56 DPMS M-4 w/acc.s and 25 30rd mags. If ya don't see no deer, pop the 'yotes...
    But seriously, I'd do the .308 also, like Stanley said.

Stanley13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hmm, I recommend my .223/5.56 DPMS M-4 w/acc.s and 25 30rd mags. If ya don't see no deer, pop the 'yotes...
    But seriously, I'd do the .308 also, like Stanley said.

Ok glad u said that. I was thinking about letting my youngest son hunt with my PLR16 which takes AR15 mags and shoots .223/5.56.I Let him shoot the youth model 30-30 I bought for my girlfriend and it is way to strong for him at 7 years old so question is have you shot many deer with hollow point .223 and did it kill them if shot is placed properly with one shot?Did u consistantly have to track them?Was their any stopping power? ECT.......

Attachments

• gun PLR16 aimdot.jpg
      gun PLR16 aimdot.jpg
      95.2 KB · Views: 466
    Last edited:

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yup, I have. Even shoot them with the 22-250. Also, the difference in a .223 and a .243 is minute amount. And lots of people use the 243. Every deer I have shot with my .243 was either an instant kill/dropped in their tracks, they jumped 1 time only to folded up. I have had about 8 deer that ran farther, but none over 25 yds. In .223, I've killed 5 deer, none went farther than 15yds. 3 were instant kills. But the ones that did run, it was due to bullet placement error, or the deer turned just as I squeezed off on him, causing a foul hit. But to answer your question, a .223 will do just fine. I no longer hunt with the .223 or .22-250. I use strictly a .243, and am trying this 7mm-08 for the 1st time, as soon as I can properly fit the scope.

Stanley13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yup, I have. Even shoot them with the 22-250. Also, the difference in a .223 and a .243 is minute amount. And lots of people use the 243. Every deer I have shot with my .243 was either an instant kill/dropped in their tracks, they jumped 1 time only to folded up. I have had about 8 deer that ran farther, but none over 25 yds. In .223, I've killed 5 deer, none went farther than 15yds. 3 were instant kills. But the ones that did run, it was due to bullet placement error, or the deer turned just as I squeezed off on him, causing a foul hit. But to answer your question, a .223 will do just fine. I no longer hunt with the .223 or .22-250. I use strictly a .243, and am trying this 7mm-08 for the 1st time, as soon as I can properly fit the scope.

So do they make 5 round mags for AR's? Or maybe a filler piece that is legal to use for hunting?

REB1136

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think a 6.8 would be a great choice. It doesnt have any recoil and will kill anything down here in the south. Ammo cost isnt that bad either. You can get ammo for $20 to $30 a box depending on what kind you want to shoot. Is it as cheap to shoot as a 5.56, no. But then again if youy are using it for hunting, then it actually cost less than most other hunting calibers. I have a 6.8 ,50 Beowulf, and two 5.56. If you are not to far away maybe we could meet up somewhere and let you shoot to see what you like.

Last edited:

beulahff06

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you decide on the 308 caliber theres a great deal on DPMS oracle (complete upper only) on outdoorgearbarn.com for I think $550. I mentioned this sight in another posting on here yesterday and that price really suprised me for the $. You can't go wrong with a AR style rifle with all the up grades available. Don't look past a .223 caliber either, thers a lot of ammo companies making some great rounds for hunting and home defense now and its a good bit cheaper just to plink around with verses a 308. If you would like you can PM me and I'll get the contact information for the guy thats building my AR now, he's in AL but has a business doing this with all the FFL licenses and such and is building some really nice AR's for a good price.

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I say go 6.8 for hunting purposes,I am actually building a second as we speak, great round if you look at the ballistics. Not to mention popularity took off so I assume prices would fall soon.Get with me aboout my extra 6.8 in a week or so,just waiting on a few parts and done. I will hook u up reasonably for sure.

Just Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looking to get into the AR hype but I know pretty much nothing about them. I had planned on buying my wife a rifle to start hunting this year but figured hey if I could by a AR that she/we could use for deer hunting I could use it as my excuse to get one. So where do I start. I've looked at 100 different websites and don't know where to begin. What caliber would be best? I'm thinking 6.8 but need some feedback.(again don't know much about these calibers either). Is 6.8 a good caliber for a woman shooting? I'm thinking I need at least a 18" barrel if not a 20"+?? Any recommendations?
    I have an AR in 6.8, 16 inch barrel. My 10 y/o son took his first hog with it. It is a soft shooter in my mind. But I will refuse to get into an argument about what is the best, what is not and what is cheaper to shoot. You need to check factory ammo prices on several different sites before deciding. My experience is that 6.8 is cheaper than 243....but that's just me. Just Google search the 6.8 and you will find plenty of sites to answer your question. Shoot one, and if you don't like it, pass on.

olecarver

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I havent hunted anything big with the 5.56 or 223 as of yet, But was watching a reality show were a pest control officer in Alaska got a call of Bear invading home an general population of people till he was a problem, They showed the little gentleman take off an come back wth his truck done a showing of one huge 700 or so lb bear an the fella smiling while holding his AR over the beast. So I think shot placement, A deer will be in the freezer,,, ole carver

Sniperpeeps

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    AR-10 with a good muzzle brake, adjustable gas block and a cyclic rate reducing buffer will kick less than a standard AR-15 and have all the knockdown power you need + cheap ammo.

Brandon C

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Check out the 6.5 Grendel. I have a sabre defense w/18" barrel. With Nikon prostaff 3x9x40 BDC recitals. image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      93.5 KB · Views: 218
    Last edited:

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have A Kel Tec SU16 and have taken hogs and deer with cheap, $4 a box Wolf 55gr HP ammo. None of them made it 20yds and most dropped. You put the bullet where it needs to go and use SP or HP ammo, you will be fine.

tyler0421

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If you decide on the 308 caliber theres a great deal on DPMS oracle (complete upper only) on outdoorgearbarn.com for I think $550. I mentioned this sight in another posting on here yesterday and that price really suprised me for the $. You can't go wrong with a AR style rifle with all the up grades available. Don't look past a .223 caliber either, thers a lot of ammo companies making some great rounds for hunting and home defense now and its a good bit cheaper just to plink around with verses a 308. If you would like you can PM me and I'll get the contact information for the guy thats building my AR now, he's in AL but has a business doing this with all the FFL licenses and such and is building some really nice AR's for a good price.

I can't find that upper. Do you have a link?

Sandspur6

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    .223/5.56 should be fine for whitetail IF you and your wife can place your shots accurately. A neck shot will put one down every time. A body shot might or might not put it down immediately. Practice is the key. Get a rifle both of you are comfortable with, put a decent scope on it, then shoot it until you both are consistantly accurate with it. Good hunting.

Top Bottom