APOD Firearms

Need HELP on a buying decision Imediatly!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok I have a oportunity to get a "romarms psl draganov" its 7.62x54 caliber which is bigger than a .308 and semi automatic with 3 10 shot mags and a scope.

Just wana know if anyone owns one currently or has much experience with them??

Also any thoughts on hunting with them? Found a 5 round clip availible. I was thinking it would be a good speaking point on those weekend hunts when u see lots of members.

Any idea what I should consider a to high price for gun,period matching scope,3 mags,bag?

Attachments

• gun draganov.jpg
      gun draganov.jpg
      96.5 KB · Views: 280

jb1dsl

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have one and quite frequently shoot it. Is it a kit build, century arms build or Romanian built? What is the asking price for the rifle? The builder can make a difference in price for sure. I have never hunted with mine but it definitely could be used for that effectively for sure.

Fishyfingers

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a Romanian built PSL54-C. It is a fun rifle to shoot and cheap with milsurp ammo. Not terribly accurate but consistant enough for its intended use. As described, I have seen them for sale @ around $7-800 lately with the LPS Tip2 scope and 1 usually 2 magazines. Magazines are running $45+ if you can find them.

I have hunted with mine and took a doe and a few pigs. Ballistically the x54 falls between a .308 and 30-06. 10rd mags are legal in AL but FMJ ammo is not. This rifle is not designed for heavy ball ammo, you'll need to feed it 147-150ish gr light ball. PRVI makes a 150gr SP. Also, the rifle is heavy @ 11 lbs unloaded with scope. Humping it around the woods becomes a chore but from a fixed position its not too bad. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Stanley13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks this was exactly the answers i was looking for

I have a Romanian built PSL54-C. It is a fun rifle to shoot and cheap with milsurp ammo. Not terribly accurate but consistant enough for its intended use. As described, I have seen them for sale @ around $7-800 lately with the LPS Tip2 scope and 1 usually 2 magazines. Magazines are running $45+ if you can find them.

I have hunted with mine and took a doe and a few pigs. Ballistically the x54 falls between a .308 and 30-06. 10rd mags are legal in AL but FMJ ammo is not. This rifle is not designed for heavy ball ammo, you'll need to feed it 147-150ish gr light ball. PRVI makes a 150gr SP. Also, the rifle is heavy @ 11 lbs unloaded with scope. Humping it around the woods becomes a chore but from a fixed position its not too bad. Hope this helps.

Thanks this was exactly the answers i was looking for! But u did create some new questions for me also.

1. Did a law change that i missed on AL hunting? I thought only 5 round mags legal
    Reason that is important is this gun comes with 3 10 round mags and the only availible 5 round mags i found are @$175.

2. All info i found says the Drananov is a olden day sniper rifle and should be MOA specs at upto 600 plus yards?

3.Thanks so much for ur help!!!

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Stanley, Take mag to a gunsmith, they can put a wood plug in it or weld a stop plate to change it to a 5rd. Shouldn't cost ya more than $50 bucks.

Stanley13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Stanley, Take mag to a gunsmith, they can put a wood plug in it or weld a stop plate to change it to a 5rd. Shouldn't cost ya more than $50 bucks.

Thanks for the great idea and i will take the recomendation if it turns out Fishyfingers is wrong about AL mag capasity for hunting big game. Im gonna start googling shortly to try and see for myself.

But i wonder if the mag says 10 rounds if gunsmithing really makes it legal or does it have to start out as a 5 mag to be legal? Has anyone done this to a mag and been confronted by a game warden?

jb1dsl

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The PSL is dmr rifle (medium range marksman rifle). It is used for troop support not so much as a true sniper. A Dragunov is a different beast, cOmpletely different rifle.

Both have been used as a sniper and a designated marksman rifle though.

Last edited:

Fishyfingers

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just re-read the AL W&FF 2011-12 hunting regulations. No where in the legal arms for hunting section is a magazine limit mentioned only centerfire, mushrooming ammunition. I do know that some public land ie. management areas are more restrictive. I have some freinds that hunt the upper delta with tube-mag 30-30s that hold 10rds. I can't remember where I saw it but I've seen 10rds limited for public land. A more thorough search should turn up that info. All this said I was checked by a game warden in Monroe county where I hunt private land while I had my PSL. He wanted to see my bullets, which were SP but said nothing about the magazine.

As JB1dsl pointed out it is a designated marksman rifle used for squad support beyond the normal operating range of the AK47 or AK74. With good ammo and a secure, quality scope it makes a good enough hunting rifle out 250-300yds. Its not a tack driver. Against people, as originally intended, it will ruin a man's day well out to 800 and is perfectly capable of harassing your enemy out to 1500 or so.

Stanley13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok im gonna lay the trade out so yall can help me decide what u would do? I would be trading a LNIB Remington 700 in .308 its a SPS Tactical with a 20inch barrel (gun only) plus 4 penn rods/reels That i have agreed to trade but he is also wanting me to throw in a Ruger .380 LCP and im not sure the Draganov is worth that much to me?

Now with that said i have decided to get rid of the Rem 700 anyways because i want one with the longer barrel and maybe a .300 win mag.Plus also dont need the LCP or reels any more. I bought new carry pistol and sold my deepsea boat.

For value purposes im listing what the Penns r. All used 9/0,6/0,309,505 with rods and 3 rigged up.3 in great shape

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The SPS tactical retails for ~550, what are the rods worth?

Fishyfingers

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would be hesitant to toss in the 380. I bought mine to add something different to the collection. If you have another hunting rifle which is your go-to and want to trade a new, accurate .308 and some beat up old reels i could see it but I think you would be going backward in a trade to include the pistol as well. By the way, that scope was made by IOR when they were partnered with Zeiss, but it is a 4x scope from the mid '70s and you will probably want a better, new one. I don't know where you are in AL but currently in the Mobile craigslist there is a Savage 300 win mag for about $450 I think it was.

gunnerxxx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Stanley if you havent purchased already i'd spend another 3-400 and get an ar10 you'll be much happier in the end. I know I was.

Stanley13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gunnerxxxx r u the owner of GCFC I ask because he uses that same avatar? And I bought a brand new Ar10 less than a year ago so I'm pretty familiar with it but thanks for trying. This would be for conversation at hunting camp of a non run of the mill weapon. ARs have become normal hunting weapons these days.Thanks

gunnerxxx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    no im not him and since we are on the subject what is the GCFC and PFF Im kinda figuring they were a fishing forum? I know opinions are just that, but man it seems like your getting an uneven trade here, but heck ive done the same before to get something I wanted. If you make the trade you already know ammo is cheap. Heres a trick... pull 20 rounds apart average the powder charges, neck size the steel case and reload with a soft point and these are pretty accurate rounds. I do this for a friend who hunts w/ Mosin Nagant.

MrFish

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Me personally I would keep the Remington... I'm not a fan of foreign battle rifles, don't like ak's, sks, dragonav, saiga, not my thing. How much you want for the .308?

I was thinking the same thing. I like those other rifles, but if I'm looking for long range accuracy or hunting I would never trade a Remington 700 for any of those.

Fishyfingers

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A "True" Dragonov is a completely different gun than a PSL & is much harder to find,,,,
    that being said the Drag should be worth $400 to $500 MORE than a PSL
    And will cost you 4-5k more to buy in the States. I do know where there is a fine NDM-86 complete package for $4400. If I had that kind of loose change I'd rather put it into a M700 build with that .308!

Top Bottom