• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I used to rappel for a living for a local waterproofing company. And I been on many roofs. Too many lol. And when people talk about metal I always recall the first time I went out on a roof on a 15 story condo on the beach during like August and suddenly noticed that one roof in particular didn't try to give me 3rd degree burns when touching it lol. It was actually cool to the touch even in direct sunlight. And I then thought wow I wonder how much that saves in energy bills alone when most roofs are scalding hot during the summer. So anyways long story short. It was a goldish shiny color. And I later realized it was an anodized finish and not painted like most. It was also aluminum. Not sure exactly who makes it. But it exists. I'd deffo ask about that kind if shopping for some

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    isn't it now days like, warrenty wise, the difference in an 80 year asphalt roof and a 90 year metal roof...will you care in 30 years

Gonzolee10

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    I'm a contractor and the answer is hands down yes steel over shingles. As long as its done correctly. There's alot of jack leg roofers out there that will screw your roof up and most homeowners wouldn't know it until it's too late. Shop around and do you're due diligence on your contractors

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    I am also looking to make this decision.
    Call your insurance before you make a decision to see how long they rate the metal roof. Yes. Not the manufacturers warranty, how long will the insurance keep your premium low before they skyrocket it.
    I have found that with the new insurance laws, a warranty means nothing.
    My policy went up 1400 a year because my 30 year warranty roof is over 10 years old. There isn't a other insurance company that's cheaper and almost all of them will not even write a new policy if your roof is over 10 years old. And if course the insurance people will tell you it's the new laws the government has imlimented......but really they are the ones taking full advantage of the fine print. Makes me boil.

Last edited:

Boardfeet

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    1. Insurance companies are thieves.
    2. we are General Contractors and Roofing Contractors.
    3. Most all Architectural shingles nowadays are Limited Lifetime Warranty.
    4. The initial cost of a metal roof is twice the cost of shingles. Three times the cost or more if you go with a standing seam roof.
    5. If you replace your shingled roof make sure the contractor uses Ice & Water underlayment. Most insurance companies will give you a discount for this.
    6. Use Atlas Pinnacle, or GAF Timberline AH shingles. 15 yr algae resistance and better impact rating than other shingles.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    1. Insurance companies are thieves.
    2. we are General Contractors and Roofing Contractors.
    3. Most all Architectural shingles nowadays are Limited Lifetime Warranty.
    4. The initial cost of a metal roof is twice the cost of shingles. Three times the cost or more if you go with a standing seam roof.
    5. If you replace your shingled roof make sure the contractor uses Ice & Water underlayment. Most insurance companies will give you a discount for this.
    6. Use Atlas Pinnacle, or GAF Timberline AH shingles. 15 yr algae resistance and better impact rating than other shingles.
    Id like a quote on a shingled roof if you have time in your schedule

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I had a new roof installed in late 2018. I got Atlas Pinnacle shingles & the secondary water barrier. So-called 'lifetime' warranty. Should last longer than I will, anyway.

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Not only does a metal roof secured with screws hold up better in hurricanes it also improves the fire rating on your house. When I lived in the Smoky Mountains we had a house with a metal roof that was almost 10 years old. We had a bad ice storm causing a large Poplar branch weighing a couple hundred pounds that came down on the roof. It caused a slight cosmetic dent but zero structural damage. I was visiting there this past Thanksgiving the dent is still there almost 9 years later and still not leaking. (That would have had an entirely different outcome with 30 yr architectural shingles!) IMO, the steel roof is well worth the added cost!

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    My only thing with a metal roof is how long do all those washers on the screws last? Seems like they would dry out and shrink and become leaks

maxfold

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    They are holding up fine on mine , after Ivan . Couple of shortcuts made by installers. Good other than that . Who has a happy roof of 15 to 25 years .washers , color faded etc ?

Top Bottom