• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I ran across some old pictures yesterday and they got me thinking about an awesome experience I was fortunate enough to have. Be warned, this will be long.

In the spring of 2010, I got a call from a buddy that I graduated college with. He told me about a program he found out about that let people apply for a lottery to take part in an elk population reduction program in Theodore Roosevelt National Park near Medora, North Dakota. The program was implemented to take out several hundred cows out of overcrowded population in the park. The "hunt" was free if your name was drawn. All you had to do was provide yourself with food, lodging and transportation. Naturally, I was all for it. We had 2 of our other buddies sign up with us as a group, so if one of us got chosen, we all got to go as a group.

Well what do you know? On August 17, I received an email stating that I was selected as a volunteer in the elk reduction program for November 15-19! I immediately called my buddies and they were extremely pumped to find out. Then the real work began. We had to figure out the logistics of how we were all going to get to North Dakota, where we were going to stay, what equipment we were going to need, etc.

Unfortunately one member of our group had to back out due to work conflicts, but we were determined not to let that bring our spirits down. Logistics on getting to North Dakota proved to be the biggest hurdle. I was down here in Fairhope, one of the guys was in Auburn and the other was near Chattanooga, TN. We decided to drive, because it would be cheaper and that way we'd have an easy way to bring the meat back. The guy in Chattanooga had a double cab truck, but with all our gear, guns, coolers and uncertainty about the weather, we realized we would need some more, protected space. Fortunately for us, one of the owners of the company I work for had an old luggage trailer that he let me borrow.

So, on Friday, November 12th, I left work at 2pm with the luggage trailer hooked to my Jeep. I drove to Auburn, picked up my friend there, and we headed toward Chattanooga. We crashed overnight at my buddy's house then all piled in his truck the next morning. We had decided to drive straight through the night, switching out drivers. It was a relatively uneventful trip, to begin with, except for the fact that we could never manage to get the luggage trailer balanced correctly and it started to wobble whenever we got above 75mph(we later discovered that the axle was bent). We stopped in St. Louis at Cabelas, since none of us had ever been in one, and bought a couple last-minute supplies. We stopped for gas in Sioux Falls, SD around midnight. I was woken up and informed (not so politely) that it was my turn to drive. It was cold and had started snowing off-and-on. Visibility was pretty low at times, but we made it to Fargo unscathed. Once we turned west onto I-94 and had just made it outside of Fargo, things went awry. It was sometime around 3am, I was driving in the left lane. I crested the top of the hill and saw a BIG dead deer laying half in my lane. The road conditions weren't great, so I wasn't going to risk swerving around it. I tried to get over far enough to miss it, but I didn't have room or time. BUMP BUMP BUMP! Turns out the sucker was frozen solid and I managed to hit it with all of the driver's side tires. My buddies both jerked awake and that's when we heard the THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP. Fortunately we were only about a half mile from an exit with a 24hr gas station with lights. We pulled into the gas station and saw that the trailer tire had blown out. Good thing was that we had a spare tire for the trailer and the gas station had fresh coffee. Bad thing was the temperature was below 20 and the wind was blowing at least 20mph. It wasn't a great start to our first visit to North Dakota

ElkReductionHunt471.jpg

Once we got past the frozen deer/flat tire debacle, the rest of the drive across ND was pretty pleasant. Once daylight broke, we saw pheasant, pronghorn and even a couple mule deer. We arrived in Medora around mid morning and were in luck in that we were able to go ahead and check into our hotel. Once we got unloaded and got the trailer unhooked, we headed to the ranger station to find out where we could shoot our rifles. They informed us that there was tons of National Grassland around and that we were welcome to set up a target and shoot anywhere. We made sure to ask lots of questions because none of us had ever heard of anything like this. After driving around for a while, we found a perfect valley to shoot across. It didn't take too long to verify our rifles were sighted in, so we went into town, got something to eat and rested for the remainder of the day.

The next morning (Monday), we had to be at the introduction meeting with all the other participants that were chosen for that particular week. We watched a couple videos, listened to a bunch of people talk about what to do and what not to do, and met with our "guides." Each group of 4 volunteers were assigned to an Elk Reduction Program "guide." These guides were responsible for being with us at all times, telling us which cows to shoot and providing a follow-up shot whenever one was required. It turned out that our guide was the only southerner in the entire program. He was originally from Mississippi, but had been working in North and South Dakota for a number of years prior to the Elk Reduction Program. It worked out well because he could understand what we were saying and we could understand most of what he said. The funny thing was that he had been in that part of the country so long that he had picked up on a little bit of that type of accent. He would be speaking typical southernese, then a Dakota/Minnesota word, phrase or accent would be thrown in the middle, which caused a tremendous amount of laughter over the course of the week. We ate lunch with our guide to get to know him better, then headed to the range for the shooting proficiency test.

The proficiency test was a cause for concern for all of us, until we found out that it only required placing 3 out of 5 shots into an 8" circle at 200yds. We weren't allowed to shoot off of a bench, but we were allowed to use bipods and lay prone. Then we became slightly concerned again when we realized we would be dealing with a 20+mph cross wind. All 3 of us passed the test with ease, but there were quite a few others that didn't. Our 4th group member (random guy from Minnesota) was moved to another group because so many people had failed. The people that had failed were not allowed to participate or even go out into the field with their groups.

We met up at daylight on Tuesday morning to begin our hunt. Some of the animals in the major herds had GPS collars, so we were able to find out where they were first thing in the morning. Even with that info, they move around a lot and we would have to hike to where they were. TRNP contains over 70,000 acres of land with only a handful of roads running around and through it.

Some pictures from the first day:

ElkReductionHunt178.jpg

ElkReductionHunt176.jpg

ElkReductionHunt435.jpg

PB150038.jpg

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    We had seen quite a few elk in the distance, but it was almost lunchtime before we were able to stalk close enough to a herd to pick out an animal and make the first shot. I drew the longest straw the night before, so I got first shot. We dropped our packs at the bottom of a draw and belly-crawled up to the edge of a plateau. The guide and I settled in next to each other about 150yds away from the herd and he took a second to pick out the animal he wanted to take. Once he decided and pointed out the individual to me, he asked me to get ready and told me the staff had been instructed to follow up on all shots. I hunkered down behind the rifle and centered the crosshair’s right behind her shoulder. The guide asked, “Ready?” I responded, “Yes.” He then whispered, “Go ahead.” I flipped off the safety, let my breath out, steadied the crosshairs, squeezed…BANG! Wait a minute, that wasn’t me! The guide jumped the gun (see what I did there?) and shot before I could. The herd took off and the guide shot the chosen elk again as she’s running.

I turned my head toward him with a questioning look. He apologized and said, “My bad, I thought you were going to shoot as soon as I told you to go ahead.” I told him I was trying to squeeze the trigger, he just beat me to it. Oh well, nothing could be done at that point. We went back down, grabbed our packs and started to follow the blood trail. It didn’t take long to find the elk. She had made it to the edge of the plateau and fallen half-way down it in some thick brush/scrubby vegetation.

We were required to gut the elk, quarter them and pull the backstraps and tenderloins, as well as check to see if they were pregnant and also take liver, brain stem and a few other various samples for analysis.

The first one was pregnant:

ElkReductionHunt459.jpg

Since we had already hiked about 4 miles in and it was still early in the day, we were able to bag the meat, leave it in the field and call in contracted people to pack it out using horses. Once we took care of the elk, we ate lunch and moved on to find some more.

It was getting on in the afternoon before we were able to locate the next herd. This time we left our packs just below the lip of a plateau and crawled through knee-high grass to get within 215yds of the targeted elk. Luckily, I had brought my shooting sticks with me after I dropped my pack, so I was able to sit up and use them to steady myself for the shot. About the time I got settled, however, I got a horrendous cramp in my quad. It was so bad that I had to just lay back with my gun pointing straight up in the air to allow my leg to stretch out. My buddies thought I had lost my mind until I explained what happened. It only took me a few seconds to recover and get back on the shooting sticks. I asked the guide to make sure he gave me time to shoot, this time. I flipped the safety off, let out my breath, steadied the crosshairs low right behind her shoulder and squeezed….Bang! I settled the scope back on target just in time to see her hit the ground like a ton of bricks. It was the longest shot I had ever taken.

ElkReductionHunt460.jpg

I was actually able to recover my bullet from just under the hide on the opposite side of the shot.

Clouds were rolling in and it was going to get dark soon, so we hurried to gut her, take the samples, and bag the meat. Once we were done, we had a choice to make. We could either go back about 5 miles or so the way we had come in, or we could walk 2 miles out a different way, but we would have to cross a creek. We decided to go the route that included the creek. What we didn’t realize was that the creek was over 2ft deep in the middle and about 50yds wide. It was basically dark by the time we got there and we strip down so our boots, socks and pants wouldn’t get wet. Another thing we didn’t realize was that there were chunks of ice floating down this “creek” which kept hitting us in the legs as we crossed. My buddy snapped this picture once he made it to the other side.

ElkReductionHunt463.jpg

We all made it across without any casualties, but our feet were covered in mud and there was no way to clean them off very well. We just had to put our socks back on over the mud, stuff our feet back down in our boots and carry on. Fortunately, it was only about another half mile to get back to a road and someone had dropped off a truck for us. That evening was miserable. I swear it took 3 hours for my feet to warm up, even after a hot shower. We were also all very sore. Even though we tried to prepare for the hiking we were going to have to do, we weren’t as ready as we thought. That night after we all got cleaned up, we headed over to Dickinson, a town about 35 miles away, where we found some good Mexican food and a grocery store where we bought Emergen-C packets, potassium tablets and some Clif bars for the next two days.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The next morning, we woke up to snow on the ground. Since I wasn’t planning on shooting, I packed my camera in a pouch on my belt for easy access. We headed out early again and after driving around for a short while trying to find a good place to start, our guide chose here:

ElkReductionHunt219.jpg

It was tough to climb, especially first thing in the morning, but the view at the top was worth every bit of effort.

ElkReductionHunt255.jpg

Shortly after taking the above picture, I was able to snap this one. It is one of my favorite pictures I’ve ever taken.

ElkReductionHunt243.jpg

That day, both of my buddies were able to shoot an elk within a couple minutes of each other. Unfortunately, this time we were close enough (2 miles) to a road that we had to pack out the meat. It was rough. While we were dressing the animals, I had to step away for a few minutes to take care of some business. I had just found a nice bush and gotten situated when I look to my left and see two bison bedded down less than 150yds from me.

ElkReductionHunt370.jpg

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Here are some pictures from the last day.

ElkReductionHunt357.jpg

ElkReductionHunt347.jpg

ElkReductionHunt275.jpg

ElkReductionHunt272.jpg

I’ll be honest; the last day is kind of a blur for me. It involved a whole lot of walking and I was already worn out from the previous two days. I didn’t get to shoot again, but both of my buddies were able to take another elk apiece. I drew the long straw, then the short straw and we ran out of time. That’s quite alright, though, because I had a blast and would love to do something similar again sometime. I made some great memories with some close friends and we still talk about the trip all the time.

The Elk Reduction Program in Theodore Roosevelt National Park was planned for several years; however, they stopped the program after 2 years, because it was so successful. A short blurb containing more info can be found here: http://www.nps.gov/thro/parknews/elk-reduction.htm

I’ve also got a story regarding the rifle I took out there that I’ll post soon.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I play golf and walk every day but 5 miles off the road sounds like a pretty good hike. BUT then you are alot younger than me. Thanks for shareing this great story with us.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I play golf and walk every day but 5 miles off the road sounds like a pretty good hike. BUT then you are alot younger than me. Thanks for shareing this great story with us.

We walked a total of 7 miles that first day and it was rough going up and down those hills. It's a lot different than walking the flat land around here. I had run a 10K shortly before going out there, so I figured I was in pretty good shape, but I just wasn't as prepared as I thought I was.

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes Thanks, It was almost like I was there with you, only without the sore feet! What a wonderful piece of countryside. Now I have thoughts of adventure in my old bones. Thanks again.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Followed up on this from your rifle sale. Man what an adventure, I'd love to do something like this one day.

Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Man that's pretty out there. I'll go and enjoy the outdoor I wouldn't need to hunt.

Top Bottom