• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Isn't this the time to remember that Man has Flint & Steel available? Fire is even a better deterrent than gunpowder in the Wilderness. JMHO.
    Why kill when you can just injure or singe?
    Only "Kill" when that is your last option. Perhaps it is better to "KILL" silently if killing is the only option? But fire-starting is what separates man from beast IMHO.

Toss those slings & arrows!

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Isn't this the time to remember that Man has Flint & Steel available? Fire is even a better deterrent than gunpowder in the Wilderness. JMHO.
    Why kill when you can just injure or singe?
    Only "Kill" when that is your last option. Perhaps it is better to "KILL" silently if killing is the only option? But fire-starting is what separates man from beast IMHO.

Toss those slings & arrows!
    I'm sure he had time to find kindling and start a fire. Lol.
    Bang. Done.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Perhaps I'd have solved the discrepancy with a blade while tailoring my fire? But striking a Fire with a Bang is even more sudden. How fast can you strike a fire with an expended cartridge? Now try it with flint & steel. LOL
    How many Centuries has Modern Man allowed domesticated wolves to join along as a food source when times get tough? Wolves ain't atop of the food chain, they can't make a fire. To fear them represents your amount of civilization. Why is it that modern man domesticated wolves into guard dogs?

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There have been many cases of coyotes, and even coyote wolf hybrids killing a woman hiker.
    But this is new. Years ago people in europe were deathly frightened of wolves.
    My maternal grand mother about late 1880's or early 1890's told my mother as a child she was out picking berries in Belorussia outside of Minsk and saw what she thought was wolf and was very frightened by.
    I seem to recall some other recent news of some town in russia getting invaded by hostile hungry wolves.

A 'super pack' of wolves has been terrifying a town after leaving more than 30 horses dead in just four days.

Four hundred bloodthirsty wolves have been spotted prowling around the edges of Verkhoyansk, in Russia, attacking livestock at will.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have killed two wolves in my life. Both of the expierances were extremely satisfying. I had a blade on my belt and a magnesium fire starter in my pack . . . however I quickly determined that I did not have time to gather kindling and did not really want to go hand to hand with them.
    Then I went on to do the unspeakable. I sold the wolves for $400 each and made some lifelong friends in the process.
    SHAME ON ME,HUH ?? ---- SAWMAN

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Please believe me when I tell Y'all that mankind need not fear Wolves. More Wolves have roasted on an open spit than have ever struck a fire without an opposable thumb!

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have killed two wolves in my life. Both of the expierances were extremely satisfying. I had a blade on my belt and a magnesium fire starter in my pack . . . however I quickly determined that I did not have time to gather kindling and did not really want to go hand to hand with them.
    Then I went on to do the unspeakable. I sold the wolves for $400 each and made some lifelong friends in the process.
    SHAME ON ME,HUH ?? ---- SAWMAN
    Wolves are not the best Hunters of Mankind in my experience. They are just a prelude to alert the real Hunters of Men. Animals are left where they are found when in search of thier Masters. The unspeakable shall be left unspoken, but what happened to the offspring of mankind when all the Dog's of War & Wolves have been slayed????????
    There is a reason why we converse about this!!!!!!!

It's oral history to those that have vanquished all the members of the animal kingdom. JMHO.

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Multiple cunning 80+ pound attackers with mouths full of knives they intend to cut you with at 1200psi +-. How big are the sticks in your campfire? Mine always fit in the fire and were burning from end to end, wood for the fire was just s short. I'm just not prepared for defense by torch, nor would that be my choice.

Let's not try and kid ourselves. A pack of hyenas will kill an adult lion. A pack of wolves will use the same tactics on defensive prey. Draw attention then darting single or multiple attack bites from rear angles. Fight off a rear attack and the former front aggressors drive in. Your being worn down and individually they expell little energy. Wolfs are accustomed to pack members being stomped and gored, they've heard injured yelps before. Being "encircled" is being attacked, they're not there for howling lullabies. Easier to drop them when they're still and you're steady. Drop them in those spots tells the story too. You'll need a accessible handgun or blade to get them off up close and personal where a rifle won't work well. Have a Plan and have a Backup Plan. This this isn't about conservation, invasion of habitat or compasion because they're only doing what natural for them. Self preservation is the only concern. I'd rather be judged by 12 than eaten by 12! Lol

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    . . . "mankind need not fear wolves" . . . I completely disagree with this asessment.
    When in Maine,in about 1995 or so,the state was considering introduceing the gray wolf to the northern part of the state. The part less inhabited by humans. (Throughout the Alagash Waterway in NW Maine)
    This was heavily funded by the Maine Wolf Coilition and fought heavily by the Maine Guides Association. I got into the middle of this and did a bunch of research on the gray wolf. I quickly found out that they are not the sweethearts that some think they are. NOT at all like a coyote. Wolves are a "pack" animal. They hunt by packs. Well coordinated and extremely stealthy.
    The people in Idaho,Wyoming,and other places where they have been reintroduced have been killing them. You can imagine what a mule deer or elk guide feels about this. They will kill a wolf on the spot.
    Idaho did a study that found out that a pair of wolves(2) killed 11 deer in two days. Soooooo . . . do wolves kill to eat ?? Do they bring down the sick and weak ?? Or do they kill just to be killing ?? Completely unlike a coyote.
    I used to ask people - - -> your snomobileing in rural Maine. You break down 30 miles from the nearest town. Would you rather be out there with coyotes or wolves ?? And BTW - -> wolves WILL come very close to a man made fire. Perhaps not into close camp,but if you go out 30-50yds to gather more wood or take a shit - -> ??? ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    . . . "mankind need not fear wolves" . . . I completely disagree with this asessment.
    I used to ask people - - -> your snomobileing in rural Maine. You break down 30 miles from the nearest town. Would you rather be out there with coyotes or wolves ?? And BTW - -> wolves WILL come very close to a man made fire. Perhaps not into close camp,but if you go out 30-50yds to gather more wood or take a shit - -> ??? ---- SAWMAN
    https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/...w-passengers-before-the-wolves-to-save-others
    The ancient snow mobile was called a troika and it got chased wolves from whence comes the saying: throwing one to the wolves.
    reference to the story that in the past in Russia, travelers by troika might throw one of the travelers before chasing wolves in order to save the other travelers (wolves will be busy for a little while eating one of the children, troika races on to safety).
    In early america there were reported wolf attacks and even today they are occurring.

Wolves killed Alaska teacher in 2010, state says - Anchorage ...
    www.adn.com › outdoors › article › 2011/12/07

Dec 6, 2011 — Candice Berner was attacked and killed in March 2010 by two or more wolves while jogging near the village of Chignik Lake on the Alaska ...

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    In Idaho back in the early 90's, was on a caribou hunt with a buddy. I was along as backup and labor if he shot one. We were stalked and flanked by a pack of wolves. They got within 50 yards before I spotted the first one. There were 8-10 for sure. I ruined my buddy's hunt with a round discharged in their general direction. Didn't have to kill one, but sure would've and so would've my buddy. Never heard them. Spotted one out of the corner of my eye...

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I went through USAF Survival School there in 1983. Never saw any wolves but don't doubt they are there! That is wild country and COLD in February!

Top Bottom