• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sporter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have friends and family who spend time in the various wilderness areas throughout the Rocky's, from New Mexico to Alaska. They basically live by three simple rules:

1. Always have a deadly weapon on you.
    2. Do whatever you have to do.
    3. STFU.

We have no idea how often wolves, lions or bears actually attack people.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have friends and family who spend time in the various wilderness areas throughout the Rocky's, from New Mexico to Alaska. They basically live by three simple rules:

1. Always have a deadly weapon on you.
    2. Do whatever you have to do.
    3. STFU.

We have no idea how often wolves, lions or bears actually attack people.
    For isolated areas if someone disappears out in wilderness, no one will know what happened. Might not know either for a homeless person that gets eaten in the lower 48. In the eastern USA, with the strong gun control, some people that have had a felony on their record for what ever that are poor and living close to the land may become victims to predators. The predators are getting bolder.
    I have had people that volunteer for social services tell me there are people, I guess mainly males, that are living in the woods in SRC and Escambia County. Aggressive predators could take a toll of such people in the future. Lots of people living out of their vehicles also.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    From my expierances in extremely rural Maine - -> Coyotes will kill a deer,usually at night. The killers and others will feed on that one deer until it is COMPLETELY GONE. Night after night.
    We used to cruze the extensive lengths of logging roads during the daytime,looking for ravens. (Crows migrate,ravens do not)
    When we spotted some,we would put on our snow shoes and trek out to where they were at. When we would find the moose or deer carcus we would build a snow fort and come back before sunset. We wouls set up with a light with wide beam if not 75% moon. We (or mostly just me) would be armed with a semi auto shotgun full of 3", #2,BB,or #4buck. I would use my Benelli M1 Super 90 with a 7 shot tube.
    We would wait until more than one got into the kill zone,the open up on them.
    Several times I killed three by myself. On one ocassion I killed 5,one with the first shot,two with the second,one with the third,and one with the 5th or 6th shot.
    If I had my buddy with me we would kill mostly all of them. If I had a sport at least two. One night,with a sport and his son,we had 7 come in. From the first one to the 7th took about 45 minutes. The two sports were about as anxious to shoot as one could get. I did not shoot. The two sports got three. And the son,who shot first,was shooting a $5,000 over/under trap gun. The father was shooting his long bbl'ed duck gun. A Beretta I believe.
    Night hunting permits were good in Jan,Feb,Mar,and Apr only. Cost - -> $5.00
    GREAT FUN. GOOD MONEY. --- SAWMAN

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    From my expierances in extremely rural Maine - -> Coyotes will kill a deer,usually at night. The killers and others will feed on that one deer until it is COMPLETELY GONE. Night after night.
    We used to cruze the extensive lengths of logging roads during the daytime,looking for ravens. (Crows migrate,ravens do not)
    When we spotted some,we would put on our snow shoes and trek out to where they were at. When we would find the moose or deer carcus we would build a snow fort and come back before sunset. We wouls set up with a light with wide beam if not 75% moon. We (or mostly just me) would be armed with a semi auto shotgun full of 3", #2,BB,or #4buck. I would use my Benelli M1 Super 90 with a 7 shot tube.
    We would wait until more than one got into the kill zone,the open up on them.
    Several times I killed three by myself. On one ocassion I killed 5,one with the first shot,two with the second,one with the third,and one with the 5th or 6th shot.
    If I had my buddy with me we would kill mostly all of them. If I had a sport at least two. One night,with a sport and his son,we had 7 come in. From the first one to the 7th took about 45 minutes. The two sports were about as anxious to shoot as one could get. I did not shoot. The two sports got three. And the son,who shot first,was shooting a $5,000 over/under trap gun. The father was shooting his long bbl'ed duck gun. A Beretta I believe.
    Night hunting permits were good in Jan,Feb,Mar,and Apr only. Cost - -> $5.00
    GREAT FUN. GOOD MONEY. --- SAWMAN
    Yeah buddy! Up hunting in the Alagash we used to find kill sights all the time. Only thing you'd find were antlers and bloody snow... they'd eat EVERYTHING.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nothing like starting a forest fire to scare off some wolves. Just burn them up and a couple hundred homes while trying to scare them off. The man did what any sane person would have done in that situation.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Coyotes and wolves are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.
    A pure breed of coyote killing a human. How many times in the forkin' history of man,has that happened ??
    Internet bullshit . . . AGAIN !!
    ADDED: Just guessing but there are about 1,794,692 times more deaths from domestic dogs and their completely stoooopid owners that any coyote.
    People that have been "attacked" by a coyote were the people walking their 3 pound peekie-poo dog on some hikeing trail in a rural area,would be my guess. They were after the dog . . . you just got in the way. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Isn't this the time to remember that Man has Flint & Steel available? Fire is even a better deterrent than gunpowder in the Wilderness. JMHO.
    Why kill when you can just injure or singe?
    Only "Kill" when that is your last option. Perhaps it is better to "KILL" silently if killing is the only option? But fire-starting is what separates man from beast IMHO.

Toss those slings & arrows!

OK....

you grab a pack of matches and some tree bark and get at it...

i'll take the 30.06 route, we will talk about you over the fire tonight at supper and say what a shame you got ate by wolves...

Top Bottom