• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    1613096181880.png

Young fellow in the video below has figured how to use 8-Shot cap rings for reloading used primers. In film below.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yea but that's repeated use of that little flash powder and cap guns are made out of shit pot metal, not heat treated steel.
    I grew up firing corrosive 30-06 ammo and hot boiling water took care of any problems. I have 7.62x54R that is corrosive and also some other ammo I believe.

Last edited:

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I grew firing corrosive 30-06 ammo and hot boiling water took care of any problems. I have 7.62x54R that is corrosive and also some other ammo I believe.
    First real statement about corrosive ammo I have seen in a long time.. all the "experts" that think the ammonia in windex is what neutralizes it. I have a chemistry background and know what the KCl salts are that is what is really the "corrosive" element in the whole thing because they get in the steel and attract moisture. Pretty sure we talked about that already.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Considering most Primers are PETN Explosive, really makes me wonder the longevity of this idea..
    No, it is not PETN.
    Primers are made of a copper or brass alloy cup with a brass anvil and are filled with an impact-sensitive lead styphnate igniter.
    On its own, it is likely not a good candidate for a primer compound. Lead azide is used in some detonators. But most small arms primers use lead styphnate igniter or something similar.
    The most common use of PETN is as an explosive with high brisance. It is more difficult to detonate than primary explosives, so dropping or igniting it will typically not cause an explosion (at atmospheric pressure it is difficult to ignite and burns relatively slowly), but is more sensitive to shock and friction than other secondary explosives such as TNT or tetryl.[16][20] Under certain conditions a deflagration to detonation transition can occur.

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    No, it is not PETN.

On its own, it is likely not a good candidate for a primer compound. Lead azide is used in some detonators. But most small arms primers use lead styphnate igniter or something similar.
    I was an engineer at Remington Ammunition Plant in Lonoke, AR, before moving here for my current job.

100% was PETN in the primers they used because I was the engineer for that area in loading and priming and I had to know what we used.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Considering the anvils we used and all I've ever seen you could pick up with a magnet, I don't think they were brass..
    Steel would be better for the anvil, but it is lead styphnate or related compounds that are most often used as the primary explosive.

Good information. Means that one can pick up a dropped primer with a magnet.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yea they told us PETN, which I know from Det Cord, maybe they said that so people actually handled them safely ha
    I think det cord is also called primer cord and I would not put a lot of faith in the chemical knowledge of some. It likely does not make a lot practical difference. Just be careful with it.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From my experience, detcord works and is legit, we did some work with it in Iraq
    I am not sure what you mean by works.
    it comes different sizes and its is quite an explosive. You can cut pipes with it for example. Years ago people would before a football game put it on the oppositions field and during the game set it off writing their school's name on the ball field.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    BAD,BAD,EXTREMELY BAD IDEA !!
    Older now,and still do not know everything,but have had time to learn some of lifes little lessons,which I like to try on a daily basis.
    WHEW !! ---- SAWMAN

Latest posts

Staff online

Top Bottom