• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Capn Balls

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yea but that's repeated use of that little flash powder and cap guns are made out of shit pot metal, not heat treated steel.
    Rest assured, they corrode good steel too. I tried some as is on one of my BP pistols. They all went bang but started to corrode everything in a matter of hours in this hot, humid N Fl weather

Capn Balls

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dammit, I was thinking Toys-r-Us but they went out of business!
    Someone years ago (I think Dixie Gun Works) used to make a tool that would punch and form percussion caps out of aluminium cans, then punch out and insert the "good" part from a roll of caps. After spending countless futile hours looking for percussion caps this may be an option. Otherwise, gonna have to convert my 1858s to flintlock

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Someone years ago (I think Dixie Gun Works) used to make a tool that would punch and form percussion caps out of aluminium cans, then punch out and insert the "good" part from a roll of caps. After spending countless futile hours looking for percussion caps this may be an option. Otherwise, gonna have to convert my 1858s to flintlock
    Worth scanning net for such things. I might be willing to make caps for muzzle loaders. But I would hold back on doing it for now.

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think det cord is also called primer cord and I would not put a lot of faith in the chemical knowledge of some. It likely does not make a lot practical difference. Just be careful with it.
    Well, I know Detcord is PETN from my time in EOD.
    I am not sure what you mean by works.
    It functions well, did everything we needed it to.

Capn Balls

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, I know Detcord is PETN from my time in EOD.

It functions well, did everything we needed it to.
    My cuz used ta use it in Nam for cutting down trees for LZs. Couple of wraps and let er rip. Said it was MUCH quicker than a chain saw

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yea, I've heard of a few doing that. If we didn't have C4 we used Detcord in a frame to breach a door or window.

Detcord is actually around the whole canopy of any fighter jet that has an ejection seat, it pops the canopy off first and then the seat rockets out.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was an engineer at Remington Ammunition Plant in Lonoke, AR, before moving here for my current job.

100% was PETN in the primers they used because I was the engineer for that area in loading and priming and I had to know what we used.
    Question were these 100% PETN primers set off by percussion in small arms. Remington over the years have made a lot things. Remington did at one time have have primers that were detonated with electricity: etronx system

Searching I can not find a single reference for a standard percussion primer having 100% PETN composition. But I was not on that production line and have learned to be cautious about assuming things. At one time I was involved in the cleanups of military arsenals and had a good background on what was more common. But I only saw a selected number of these old arsenals and I have learned that there are a lot of possibilities out there.

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Not saying they are 100% that composition, just saying that I am for certain PETN was in them because that is what we were told and took our safety precautions on them.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not saying they are 100% that composition, just saying that I am for certain PETN was in them because that is what we were told and took our safety precautions on them.
    That is quite possible because the priming mixture is that, a mixture of what the chemists believe provide the idea flame. This relates to duration and other relevant factors.
    Buildings that make priming mixtures were among the most dangerous that someone could be called to demolish. The accepted way to do demolition was to burn it down if the structure would burn.
    There was a story of a plant run by smith and wesson that had a building that dealt either priming mixtures or detonators. The building was thoroughly contaminated. The problem was it was adjacent to structures that they did not want burned down or destroyed by an explosion. The building was considered way too dangerous to physically demolish. Some bright guy came up with the idea of getting snow machine and they completely covered all of the spaces between the buildings with snow was the story and then they set it on fire remotely. If the building explodes the other building were protected the snow.

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yea, the primers were made on site in a different building, and I made sure to not go in there ha. Had to be grounded at all times, things of that nature.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yea, the primers were made on site in a different building, and I made sure to not go in there ha. Had to be grounded at all times, things of that nature.
    There is an old story of a technician carrying loose primers in two buckets. Supposedly they went off. I am not sure if that ever happened or not.
    Primers are packed to prevent them going off in a mass explosion.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's like reloading .22 rimfire, it can be done if you really want or need to do it. There was a rimfire Kit for sale too but I don't know if its still available. Interesting subject to add to your SHTF paper notebook.

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've seen that kit, thought it was interesting.
    There is an old story of a technician carrying loose primers in two buckets. Supposedly they went off. I am not sure if that ever happened or not.
    Primers are packed to prevent them going off in a mass explosion.

Yup, packaged and max amounts stored in certain areas for explosive load safety.

Every now and then they would pop in the machines and blow a few of them up. Had to check it all over every time.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's like reloading .22 rimfire, it can be done if you really want or need to do it. There was a rimfire Kit for sale too but I don't know if its still available. Interesting subject to add to your SHTF paper notebook.
    I suspect people will going to ebay and amazon buying out all of ring caps now. When I was very young we had a two part toy that looked like a bomb. You take a roll of caps and tear off one and unscrew the two parts where the cap was and put this disc on sort of an anvil in line with a striker that protruded out of the nose. Throw up it up and it would land on the striker and go pop. One could tear out just the discs and put multiple discs in it. I recall one of those units blowing apart doing that.

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    So far I have 17200 ring caps ordered, so I can be your source

Found this??
    The exact composition of the priming compounds used is not available, although SEM/EDX (scanning electron microscope/energy dispersive X-ray) analysis generally shows the presence of strontium in the Speer and Blazer cartridges, potassium in the Winchester cartridges and calcium and silicon in the Federal cartridges.

Most of the more recent primer formulations contain an initiator explosive compound called 'dinol', the chemical name of which is DDNP (diazodinitrophenol).

Other initiator explosives include:

• dinitrodihydroxydiazobenzene salt (diazinate);
    • dinitrobenzofuroxan salts;
    • potassium dinitrobenzofuroxan;
    • various diazo, triazole, and tetrazaole compounds;
    • perchlorate or nitrate salts of metal complexes of ammonium, amine or hydrazine an example of which is 2-(5-cyanotetrazolato)pentaaminecobalt III perchlorate (CP).
    Oxidizers include:

• zinc oxide
    • potassium nitrate
    • strontium nitrate
    • zinc peroxide
    Fuel components include:

• amorphous boron
    • metal powders, such as aluminium, zirconium, titanium, nickel and zinc
    • carbon
    • silicon
    • metal sulfides

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sounds like the formulation for lead free primers that are used for indoor ranges. I see it uses PETN. But does not use lead styphnate since it is lead free.

Lead-free primer mix

Abstract

A lead-free primer mix based on diazodinitrophenol, tetrazene, nitrocellulose, barium nitrate and at least one of PETN, aluminum and antimony sulfide exhibits performance characteristics comparable to lead styphnate compositions.

So far I have 17200 ring caps ordered, so I can be your source

Found this??
    The exact composition of the priming compounds used is not available, although SEM/EDX (scanning electron microscope/energy dispersive X-ray) analysis generally shows the presence of strontium in the Speer and Blazer cartridges, potassium in the Winchester cartridges and calcium and silicon in the Federal cartridges.

Most of the more recent primer formulations contain an initiator explosive compound called 'dinol', the chemical name of which is DDNP (diazodinitrophenol).

Other initiator explosives include:

• dinitrodihydroxydiazobenzene salt (diazinate);
    • dinitrobenzofuroxan salts;
    • potassium dinitrobenzofuroxan;
    • various diazo, triazole, and tetrazaole compounds;
    • perchlorate or nitrate salts of metal complexes of ammonium, amine or hydrazine an example of which is 2-(5-cyanotetrazolato)pentaaminecobalt III perchlorate (CP).
    Oxidizers include:

• zinc oxide
    • potassium nitrate
    • strontium nitrate
    • zinc peroxide
    Fuel components include:

• amorphous boron
    • metal powders, such as aluminium, zirconium, titanium, nickel and zinc
    • carbon
    • silicon
    • metal sulfides

Top Bottom